Brewer Fanatic

4/13/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Mets (Perez): 12:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
This last page or two was priceless....watching Ned manage sometimes must be like watching your teenage kid learn to drive from a distance--"Oh my God, she's gonna hit that wall, look out for that wall, what ON EARTH is she DOING?!?!?! Oh-my-God-Oh-my-God-Oh-my-God!!!!!!!!!.........Phew."

That assessment is pretty much right on.

Edit: Except things often end with flurry of curse words rather than a "phew".

Actually I liken it to when I used to ref 4th grade basketball.. the parents watching used to complain about the coach, refs, etc.. and thought they knew more than anybody else even though they had the least experience and knowledge.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost screamed in terror when it dawned on me that, just prior to the Prince double play, the only real alternatives were Mota, Turnbow and Gagne.

Think they have to hold on to Riske in case the thing goes extras, which is why I don't understand why he was up again in the 8th. But, in that situation, you may not get to extras by pitching the other guys.

Maybe Miller Park should come up with its own Terror Alert Chart, a la Homeland Security. RIght now, going to the bottom of the 9th, I put the status at Elevated. ANd just like the DHS Chart, I don't know that we'll be going below Elevated any time soon.

Phenomenal managing.. if everybody is going to jump on Yost when a player doesn't do his job I guess we have to give him all the credit when a player comes through.

That comment is absurd. People prove they criticize the strategy, real-time, and not just the result... and here's a response.

EDIT: And, fwiw, I think now is a great instance in which to utilize TBow.

whatever.. the previous 2 pages were all about how if he doesn't take out Mota he is an idiot and in fact it worked out.. that is all I am saying... it is pretty bad when he gets ripped when his strategy works out.

bullpens make all managers look dumb...

That comment is absurd. People prove they criticize the strategy, real-time, and not just the result... and here's a response.

I see what you're saying, but I think it gets a little overboard with Yost around here and his pitching strategy. He's always wrong and never right. The guy deserves a little credit once in awhile and I think he should for sticking with Mota. This could be a huge step in Mota having a productive year.

But the 'always wrong & never right' is the thing that drives me batty, jj. It's just not that simple imo.

This could be a huge step in Mota having a productive year.

I highly doubt that nearly blowing the lead for the Brewers will mean much by Sept... but that's just me, and I guess I'm wacky. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

the previous 2 pages were all about how if he doesn't take out Mota he is an idiot and in fact it worked out.. that is all I am saying... it is pretty bad when he gets ripped when his strategy works out.

The problem you fail to see is that when Ned gets lucky, that's no reason to praise, just as if he were to make the strongest/stronger percentage play and experience bad luck, it's no reason to blame him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

But the 'always wrong & never right' is the thing that drives me batty, jj. It's just not that simple imo.

the previous 2 pages were all about how if he doesn't take out Mota he is an idiot and in fact it worked out.. that is all I am saying... it is pretty bad when he gets ripped when his strategy works out.

The problem you fail to see is that when Ned gets lucky, that's no reason to praise, just as if he were to make the strongest/stronger percentage play and experience bad luck, it's no reason to blame him.

Yes..everytime he is right he is lucky and everytime he is wrong it is because he is incompetent.. thanks for the clarification..

When does Yost get any credit though? That's my point. I just don't think it's fair to always rip on him. For example switching Braun and Fielder in the lineup deserves credit. He said he wouldn't do it and talked to the players and did it. He admitted a mistake and I think he should get credit for that. He's by no means perfect, but Yost isn't as bad as he's made out to be. Is it Yost's fault we've walked 8 guys?

So if Larry K draws up a play for Michael Ruffin to come off a screen and take a 3-pointer with the Bucks down two and 1 second left...and the shot goes in, that's great coaching and the coach should get heaping praise. Cause that's a lot like what Yost just did.

So if Larry K draws up a play for Michael Ruffin to come off a screen and take a 3-pointer with the Bucks down two and 1 second left...and the shot goes in, that's great coaching and the coach should get heaping praise. Cause that's a lot like what Yost just did.

That's nowhere near what Yost did. That's ridiculous. It'd be like putting Weeks in to pitch. That logic is so far off base. He put a relief pitcher in for an inning. A pitcher that should be able to handle in inning and he pitched in a very, very hostile environment based on his history. Nowhere near what Yost just did. Let's warm up a pitcher everytime a relief pitcher puts someone on base...and then call up all our minor league pitchers after the all-star break when all the major league pitchers have blown their arms or have dead arms.

Archived