Brewer Fanatic

Most Loved and Hated Ex Brewers

apirk

My obligatory Gary Sheffield story:

The first game my dad ever took me to was a late season game in 1988 against the Seattle Mariners. I was eight years old. A young rookie named Gary Sheffield hit a home run and later scored a game winning run. I loved the guy. He was my first "favorite" baseball player. Even got a poster of him later and hung it in my room. Of course, we know he soon developed an attitude and ended up leaving the team in a ludicrous trade. This is why I will always boo and have nothing but disdain for the man.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Most Loved (from kinda liked him to loved him)

Dan Kolb

Marquis Grissom

Keith Ginter

Lyle Overbay

Geoff Jenkins

Most Hated (from didn't really like him to hated him)

Francisco Cordero

Richie Sexson (don't know why, but I love seeing him and his team fail after we traded him)

Carlos Lee (Never liked him, even when he was in Milwaukee)

Gary Sheffield.

I know there is a certain level of disdain for "emotional" reactions to things here, but this can also be proven by facts:

The names Yount and Gantner should never be considered "ex-Brewers" - would you consider Favre an "ex-Packer"?

These guys are lifers...

I love me some Ray King, and will cheer Mr. Jenkins every time he comes around...

Sheffield is a punk...

I've only seen them play in the 90's and 00's so my list isn't that big.

Most loved: Overbay, Cirillo, Sexson, Loretta, D'Amico (I think the only reason is cause he hit a homer at Wrigley like 10 years ago)

Most hated: Estrada, Alex Sanchez, Lyle Mouton.

Loved: Jenks, Hamilton, Listach, Cirillo, Matheny (surprised he hasn't been mentioned), Bones, Vina, Vaughn, Sexson, Wickman (Yount would make the list but i'm not including players who weren't traded/released)

Hated: Stairs, Newfield, Cordero, Sanchez, Young, Spivey, Obermueller, Kinney.

EDIT: how could i forget my hate for wes helms?

I was gonna start a similar thread to this, but, here we are

PrimeTime955 beat me to the Jorge De La Rosa love (who got designated for assignment by the Royals, ouch, he was still in the top 4 Mexican born pitchers the Brewers ever had!) My list has a very 90's and 00's flavor, and very little hate.

Loved: Sexson

Overbay

Jorge De La Rosa

Curt Leskanic (currently a scout on the Red Sox)

Toma Ohka

Chris Barnwell

Hate: Error Helms

Grant Balfour

Geez, I just assumed it would be Gorman Thomas. Remember when he was traded. The TV people followed him to a tavern. He was drunk and crying. It was really ghastly. He loved the Brewers so much, and the fans just seemed to adore him even in a way they didn't love Yount. I remember asking a buyer for Boston Store about jersey numbers, and she said that Thomas jerseys outsold Yount almost two to one.

Hated: how can it be anyone other than Sheffield. A true pariah, a true mercenary--he had dollar signs for a soul and as much class as a guard at Auschwitz.

Rob Deer

Back in '87 as a 9 year old, I was in the Rob Deer fan club. I thought he was the most awesomest ever. Then he left the Brewers and I hated him. Previous to that, I went and got Ed Romero's autograph at the J.C. Penny's in Janesville and thought he was the most awesomest utility infielder ever. Then he was traded to Boston and I hated him. Down the road, I thought Greg Vaughn was the coolest, and then I was at the game when they announced he was traded. I pretty much cried. Now, my Brewer love is a bit less irrational, but there are still guys I love.

Beloved Former Brewers

Jeff Cirillo

Carlos Lee

Richie Sexson

Matty Wise

and at number one!

Brooks Kieschnick

Hated Former Brewers

Well, hate is something I try to keep out of my life - it screws with your positivity. However, I have a hateful fury that burns like a thousand suns for El Primo Jag Bag Gary Sheffield.

Every trip to the DL, every 0-fer and every link to steroids fills me with a warm glow in my gut that I don't get for any other player.

Favorite:

Rob Deer

Brooks Kieshnick

Russell The Mussle

Overbay

Cirillo

Jenkins

Hate:

#1 most hated player in baseball, Gary Sheffield

Wendy Selig-Prieb. Bad owner. Bad baseball decisions. Bad rules at her ballparks. She always reminded me of the owner in Major League.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

most loved

Overbay

Mollitor

Mike "Tiny" Felder - When I was like 7 I loved him because his name was Tiny

Bob Hamelin - Only 1 yr for the crew but once my buddies and I got our drivers liscenses and were able to drive from Fondy for a bunch of games.. we always sat in the RF bleachers and spelled Hamelin across our chests.. I think the love all came from Vasgersian's home run calls

most hated

Sheffield - no one else even close

Archived