Brewer Fanatic

Most Loved and Hated Ex Brewers

apirk

I was wondering who people feel is th emost loved and hated ex brewer. I was thinking of this last weekend when I saw a retro Sheffield jersey at the game and couldn't believe a Brewer fan could wear it. I am just going to go from 80-current since that is the time frame I know, I would love to hear about some of th eolder players though.

Most loved I think is pretty easy with Paul Molitor. I'll give Honorable mention to BJ Surhoff though he was always a huge fan favorite.

Most hated I would say would have to be Sheffield. I'll give honorable mention to Jeffrey Hammonds though and his huge contract.

Most Loved Current: Lyle Overbay

Most Loved Past: Jeff Cirillo

Most Hated: Gary Sheffield

Most Hated runner up: Johnny Estrada?

I only count "ex-Brewers" as guys who were traded away or who left at one time via FA.

Most-loved ex-Brewer: Yount

Most-loved ex-Brewer still playing: Geoff Jenkins (whom it's much easier to love when he's not on your team)

Most-hated ex-Brewer: Gary Sheffield (who is also still playing, so there's no need for a distinction between current and all-time players)

I think this is an easy one.

What? No Tomo Ohka love? But seriously, Molitor/Yount/Jenkins/Richie are the cream of the cream....but there is definitely a former player who is the king. Can we all give it up to the truly most BELOVED Brewer....Bob Uecker!

Can't believe Russel Branyan and his unbelieveable potential - that still remains untapped, wasn't the first guy mentioned.
Isn't he in Nashville at the moment? Even though he's in the minors, I'd say he no longer qualifies as an ex-Brewer.

Nice thread! As usual, I have a list or 2 in me this morning...

Active Ex-Brewers who either were released, traded away, or left via free agency...

Most loved (ranking from giving polite applause when they returned to face us at The Keg, to a standing ovation):

5. Ray King

4. Carlos Lee

3. Doug Davis

2. Mark Loretta

1. Richie Sexson

Most hated (ranking from audible booing, up to making a sign to hold up for them, as I stand and boo them):

5. Nelson Figueroa (he just bumped Henry Blanco, after waking up against us on Friday!)

4. Wes Helms

3. Ronnie Belliard

2. Francisco Cordero

1. Gary Sheffield

Since everyone's list is personal, none of them can be "wrong." This is just mine...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Well, if there is Branyan love, there must be some Keith Ginter love as well!

My favorite is Gorman.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Loved : I think Gorman would be right att the top of that list.After Yount& Molitor, I want to throw Ray King,Overbay,Kevin Seitzer & Brooks Kieschnick on that list.

Hated due to attitude: Jeff Judden, Chucky Carr, Kevin Reimer,Alex Sanchez, Sheff, Johnny E,Cappellan, jeffery leonard

Hated coach due to attitude:Dave Stewart( he still burns me, in my book he will never be considered a brewer.)

Hated due to front office stupidity: Sean Berry,Franklin Stubbs, Jeffery Hammonds,Jose Hernadez,Sal Bando for being the front office

Most hated for no fault of his own:Rick Manning, first he was traded for our beloved Gorman, then he got the game winning hit when Molitor was on deck when Molitor hitting streak was on the line

Well, burnie, I limited the list of active players. But OK, if we can dip way back into out star-crossed 40 years, of retired ex-Brewers who left the team under bad circumstances...

My Most Hated:

5. Cal Eldred

4. Hideo Nomo

3. Chad Fox

2. Bernie Carbo

1. Paul Molitor

My Most Loved, who were discarded by management, but, as I recall at least, didn't seem to want to leave us:

5. Sixto Lezcano

4. Jim Slaton

3. George Scott

2. Fernando Vina

1. Jeromy Burnitz

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

My Most Hated:

4. Hideo Nomo

How could you hate that guy? He pitched his a$$ off during his short stint in Milwaukee while earning minimum wage. If we found 2 guys like that this year we'd win the World Series.

" How could you hate that guy? He pitched his a$$ off during his short stint in Milwaukee while earning minimum wage. If we found 2 guys like that this year we'd win the World Series."

By 1999, Chez, Nomo's career was at rock bottom. His last season in LA, he was at 4.92, and he washed out with the Mets. Then the Cubs signed him to a minor league contract, but never brought him up to the big league roster, releasing him again.

The Brewers gave him a shot next. Not a wait-n-see Cub chance, but a full rotation spot. And he was nothing special, but his career, such as it was, was back on track. And once he was re-established, he left skid marks in the County Stadium players' lot, stiffing our offer for free agency.

And as for us winning the World Series with 2 Nomo's this season? Nomo's ERA during his short stint in Milwaukee was 4.54, with a 1.42 WHIP. That's not even Wild Card-caliber.

" Loved BJ Surhoff and whatever happened to him?"

He decided to start taking care of himself AFTER leaving Milwaukee. We nurtured him through DL visit after DL visit every season, and then, when his contract walk year comes up, he suddenly becomes Cal Ripken the 3rd.

He didn't trash us on his way out of town, but I just hate it when a player we suffer with on the disabled list every year, becomes the picture of health after he leaves. Hopefully that stopped when Mark bought the team, for good...

I suppose Yount, Molly, and Gumby are obvious choices, here's some other ones:

Loved:
Glen Braggs
Darryl Hamilton
Scott Podsednik
Jim Abbott
Greg Vaughn
Russell Branyan

Hated:
Gary Sheffield
Wes Helms
Victor Santos
Johnny Estrada

Loved (and some memories):

Teddy Higuera

Greg Brock (he hit a home run to tie the game in the 9th of my very first Brewer game)

Carlos Lee (he just seemed like a fun guy)

Dan Plesac (struck out Darryl Strawberry, my neighbor's favorite player, to win the All-Star game)

Lyle Overbay (OOOOhhhhh)

Hated (and still hate):

Gary Sheffield, and...

...there are no more. I dislike other former Brewers, but no one to the extent of Sheffield, so I feel it would be an injustice to include anyone else on this list.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Most loved former Brewers:

1. Jorge De La Rosa

2. Dave Krynzel

3. Nelson Cruz

4. Jeff Cirillo

5. Victor Santos

Most hated former Brewers:

1. Wes Helms

2. Wes Obermueller

3. Chad Moeller

4. Chris Magruder

5. Derrick Turnbow (err...we still have him...shoot, we'll go with Jose Cappellan)

Loved:
Overbay (Just seemed like a really good guy. Plus, I love watching him and Capuano pick off base runners)
Carlos Lee (Always smiling and having fun. I really enjoyed watching him play)
Molitor (Pretty obvious)
Cirillo (Anyone who has a comment about Milwaukee along the lines of "There's something special about putting on that uniform" rules)

Hated:
Estrada (Lazy, fat and slow. I hated everything about watching him play)
Cordero (I was OK with him taking more money. But I thought his anger about the Brewers not offering a contract before 2007 was bad)
Sheffield (Wasn't much to like about the guy. But then, he felt the same way about Milwaukee)
Cappellan (Newsflash - you were never very good. That is why you were sent to AAA)
Hendrickson (But then, that really wasn't Ben's fault)

Archived