Brewer Fanatic

Radar Gun at Shea

mletto157

Yesterday Parra was topping out around 86-87 the whole game as well.

I know the weather was a factor, but that is about 5 MPH slowing that Parra was throwing in Milwaukee.

I think the gun is at least 3 or 4 MPH off. I can't believe Brian and Bill just keep talking about how Ben's velocity is down - and completely ignore that Johan is down as well. It seems pretty obvious the gun isn't right.

That Muniz guy from the Mets was only throwing 85mph and he appeared to be bringing it quite well. Not to mention Gagne was topping out at 88. I hope that wasn't accurate since he also looked like he was throwing it well.

The slow gun is about 3-4 mph slower than the "fast" one. Neither is right or wrong, one just picks up the ball earlier.

90 with location is oodles better than 95 down the middle anyway. What's important is what a guy is throwing now versus earlier...if Ben is 90-92 all game, and then throws 87, 86, he's all but done...same thing if you add 4 to all the numbers.

That's what makes Ben Sheets such a great pitcher. He doesn't need his "A" stuff to mow down hitters.
Yeah, good stuff. I was reading in a magazine last year and a scout basically said "pitchers have their great stuff for 10 starts, bad stuff for 10 starts, and their average stuff for 10 starts. It's how you pitch with your average stuff to show what kind of pitcher you are and they turn out to be your most important starts."

Pretty similar to Pedro's thread of a 42 game season way of thought.

I know that radar guns don't pick up the velocity of the ball as it crosses home plate, as they are around 85 MPH for a guy who typically reads 93. Gameday's pitch velocity corresponds to pitch f/x's "start velocity", which is read 50 ft from home plate. I think the average radar gun picks it up from right around there as well (possibly a touch closer to home plate).

I think it's perfectly fine to say that the radar gun was off today, as no other radar gun in recent memory has shown Sheets consistently throwing under 90 MPH (all the other pitchers' velocities were off as well). Add 4 MPH to what you saw today. Sheets' fastball didn't have it's usual zip today.

Archived