Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins' Return

Jarjohm
Hey, I certainly believe he shouldn't get booed - it's this idea that we owe him something because he came to work every day and did his job. I guess I don't understand. He made money here that he wouldn't have made anywhere else - that's why he was here for so long. I think it's silly to act like he stuck around out of some selfless act. Had he been a stand out and been offered better money elsewhere, he would have gone, same as any number of other guys that have left over the past few years. Certainly fans will clap for him, but I guess I feel like an internet campaign and printable signs is a bit over the top.

it's this idea that we owe him something because he came to work every day and did his job.

Carlos Lee shows up 'every day & [does] his job.' Geoff Jenkins routinely put in overtime. I'll echo this to you:

I can't speak for others, but I will be giving him a standing O. If you can't understand why he deserves one, honestly I feel a little sorry for you.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"I told [Manuel] I had to have the green light. He said, 'Hey ... no,'" said Jenkins, who stole a career-high 11 bases in 12 attempts in 2000. "They say you can see something in this game you've never seen. I just saw it. But hey, we have a glitch in the system right now. A few guys are banged up and we have to pick up the slack. That's what good teams do.

"I'm Rickey Henderson."

That last quote cracks me up.

it's this idea that we owe him something because he came to work every day and did his job.

Carlos Lee shows up 'every day & [does] his job.' Geoff Jenkins routinely put in overtime. I'll echo this to you:

I can't speak for others, but I will be giving him a standing O. If you can't understand why he deserves one, honestly I feel a little sorry for you.

If you would have read what I said, at no time did I say that he didn't deserve to be cheered. In fact, my exact words were: "Certainly fans will clap for him, but I guess I feel like an internet campaign and printable signs is a bit over the top."

I did read what you said -- what I was responding to was the notion that Jenks didn't really deserve all the fan-fare. Plus, what I quoted was about a Standing O, as opposed to just some 'cheers'. We'll agree to disagree, I guess. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jenkins won't get booed. He didn't sign a new contract and show up to spring training overweight like Wes Helms did. He didn't leave for more money like Francisco Cordero, Calos Lee, etc. He didn't whine about playing in Milwaukee like Jeromy Burnitz did. There's a reason those other former Brewers got booed. Jenkins will get a standing ovation. He deserves it.

These are stupid reasons to boo also (except in the Helms case, but I don't know if that's true, he just sucked).

Any poster here would leave their current job for a similiar job for more money. Burnitz didn't whine about playing in Milwaukee, he actually ripped Wendy and Bando for being clueless.

Why boo someone just because he used to play here? It makes Milwaukee fans look bush league.

I'm so excited for the Wednesday game, it'll be my first game of the year, and me and a few friends called a week or two ago to get tickets and got first row in the right field bleachers. We have an idea for a sign for Jenkins, should be TV worthy.

I have tickets for Wednesday's game.

I was planning to not even acknowledge Jenkins. I cheered for him at the end of last year to thank him for his career in Milwaukee. He was a nice player, but nothing special.

However, if I hear booing around me, I will get on my feet and cheer like Babe Ruth had been reincarnated.

boy, that highlight of Jenkins running through the stop sign to score the winning run last night was just vintage Jenkins. The guy just wants to be a winner. I love him as a player. I may not love his statistics but I love his attitude, work ethic, hustle, and down-home ballplayer-ness.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I have tickets for Wednesday's game.

I was planning to not even acknowledge Jenkins. I cheered for him at the end of last year to thank him for his career in Milwaukee. He was a nice player, but nothing special.

However, if I hear booing around me, I will get on my feet and cheer like Babe Ruth had been reincarnated.

Thank you for succinctly summing up my point in two sentences, since I could not.

Archived