Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins' Return

Jarjohm

Geoff Jenkins will be coming back to Miller Park with the Phillies on Wednesday, April 23. I know he was kind of a lightning rod for controversy over the years due to his propensity for being streaky, his lefty/righty splits and at times his injuries, but he was a Brewer for 10 years, played hard every day and is among the Brewer career leaders in a ton of offensive categories. Most importantly though, he wanted to be in Milwaukee and loved the Brewers and us fans. That ad he took out in the Journal-Sentinel after the Brewers declined his option is one of the classiest things I've ever seen a player do. Over the past few years guys like Brady Clark and Jeromy Burnitz have returned to Milwaukee to boos. I'm hoping Jenks doesn't receive the same treatment.

Me and the other four guys that run Right Field Bleachers are organizing a blog campaign of sorts to try to get a few more people at the game to cheer for Jenkins. We call it "See Off Ge-Off". We kicked it off with a post about what he meant to the Brewers and Milwaukee and will be posting some of our favorite Jenkins moments over the next couple weeks leading up to the game. Maybe we'll even grab a few posts off of here and post them up on our site if this takes off at all here. We also made a poster that people can print and bring along to the game if they want.

Anyway, what are some of your favorite Geoff Jenkins moments? And how do you think he should be received by the Miller Park crowd?

I think you should be thrilled if you can drown out the boos.

Judging from the giant ovation he received coming off the field for the final time last season, I'd like to think he'll get a nice reception.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I think you should be thrilled if you can drown out the boos.

Yeah, I expect quite a few boos just because it's the nature of most fans, especially casual ones ("what have you done for me lately?"), but hopefully it's quite a bit better than 50/50 cheering.

Welcome back Geoff!

I got two returns of Brett Favre, one of Kevin Mench, one of TBow, and 50+ of Jenkins in blue before you get to this:

http://images.sportsline.com/images/baseball/mlb/players/60x80/10774.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I hope Jenks is recieved well and i know im trying to get tickets and will be there cheering my butt off for him when he gets to the plate. One of my favorite moments that Geoff brought over the years was when he had that diving game saving catch at wrigley last year. I believe it was in the 9th after Jacque Jones robbed some one of an rbi that would have put us in the lead. Jenks came right back and had a superman like catch to keep the scrubs from scoring.

I don't think Jenkins will get booed. Few people maybe who boo every former Brewer but I think he'll get a fairly decent reception. It's not going to be some lovefest or anything though where he gets a standing ovation.

I'm not a big fan of people saying things like people who boo are clueless. They pay their money and they can boo. Geoff is a big boy and made millions upon millions of dollars to play in Milwaukee so it's not like he was doing us a favor.

How does the fact that people who buy a ticket make them not clueless? I imagine Geoff is a big boy, and therefore booing isn't going to negatively impact him. It might give him a little extra motivation to shut those boors up by doing well against his former team. How does that help the Brewers?

I'm not a big fan of people saying things like people who boo are clueless. They pay their money and they can boo. Geoff is a big boy and made millions upon millions of dollars to play in Milwaukee so it's not like he was doing us a favor.

Yes, they can do that, whether they paid anything or not. The fact that they can do it does not mean that they should do it, in this specific case of Geoff Jenkins return. The ability to boo also does not mean that they are not clueless if they boo Geoff Jenkins. Anyone at Miller Park who gives the same greeting to Gary Sheffield and to Geoff Jenkins is, in fact, clueless.

I drifted over the Cubs/Phillies telecast last night. In talking about Jenkins, Len Kasper said he talked to Jenkins. The first thing Jenkins said to him: "How's the Brew Crew looking?"

Jenkins was a Brewer, is a Brewer, and will always be a Brewer no matter what uniform he's wearing. To boo him is to boo yourself.

I'll be willing to bet that Jenkins ends his career someday in a Brewer uniform too.

Jenkins always treated Brewer fans and the game itself with class and respect, I'd hope Brewer fans would return the favor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Jenkins will be cheered for the most part. It's not like he left for more money - the Brewers decided not to retain him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jenkins seems like a very fine fellow. He played hard, he was a homegrown Brewer and stayed with the big club for a long time.

If he gets a standing ovation, then good for him. He had the misfortune of playing on some terrible teams, and it wasn't his fault that he was miscast as a 3rd-5th hitter. He was often their best option, and he gave it his all. He stayed out of trouble and was pretty classy.

If he gets booed, then so be it. It will prepare him for Philadelphia all the more.

He's a big boy and I'm doubtful that a couple of boos will bruise him, even though he probably doesn't deserve them.

I don't think the boos will be bad at all. The fact that these will be weeknight games in April should keep away some of the clueless casual fans as well. I bought tickets specifically because he was coming back.

Community Moderator

I know we have a reputation for booing, but he will get a long standing ovation, no doubt about it.

That being said, if he hits a home run, he will get booed, but that's understandable

I guess I'm not sure why we're supposed to be all excited about a former player just because he did what he's supposed to do, which is play the game hard and not act like a donkey. It's like he's reached mythical status merely for having played for a team that stunk and not getting arrested. Since when is that a reason to exalt his existence?

I'm happy that Jenks found somewhere else to play and best of luck to him, but I just don't understand why he's on a pedestal for doing what he was getting paid A LOT of money to do.

It's like he's reached mythical status merely for having played for a team that stunk and not getting arrested. Since when is that a reason to exalt his existence?

Understatement of the week. At least be objective...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jenkins won't get booed. He didn't sign a new contract and show up to spring training overweight like Wes Helms did. He didn't leave for more money like Francisco Cordero, Calos Lee, etc. He didn't whine about playing in Milwaukee like Jeromy Burnitz did. There's a reason those other former Brewers got booed. Jenkins will get a standing ovation. He deserves it.

I hope he gets a standing ovation loud enough for him to have to step out of the batters box and tip his cap.

then I hope he Ks

I like that idea jason. I wish I was going to that game so I could give him the standing ovation I think he deserves. I know some casual drunk moronic fans will boo but for the most part I hope he gets a nice hello from us Brewers fans. It is weird though seeing him in a Phillies uni wearing #10.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived