Brewer Fanatic

5/20/07 Twins (Ortiz) @ Brewers (Vargas): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Sure it was. Re-read the thread. The whole topic came up because we were discussing the benefits/drawbacks of having Villanueva in long relief vs starting.

But the point that was actually being discussed/debated was:

Vargas has been pretty terrible since his second start

Which, as I've pointed out, is incorrect, as he's been quite good in his last three starts until today.

Quote:
Anyone that thinks the Brewers will be caught by the end of this month is silly

Dude, it's really not necessary to be calling people silly, stupid, or idiots in every other post.

I wasn't referring to any one person...just the idea in general of someone catching the Brewers by the end of May is a silly idea.

Would you prefer I say "almost mathematically impossible" instead of "silly".

Some people are extremely sensitive around here. I don't mean any ill-will by saying something is silly.

I called myself an Idiot in the IGT.

Apparently I should go to Woodman's when the Brewers are playing like crap more often....

You know they're open 24-7, Peavey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm mighty glad they avoided the sweep today. Put some pieces back together for the road trip, now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. He hit 35 homers last year with an OPS of nearly .900!

I know. That's why it's hard for me to justify it. I've just never seen him as an every day player. I just see too many holes in his swing and approach, especially against the tougher righties. I think he's at his best when he's playing 4 or 5 days a week and getting a couple days a week off against the tougher righties.

I'm well aware I'm in the minority on this one. I'm not going to try to fight that battle. Just one man's opinion.

I like him. I'm glad he's on the team. I hope he has another 35 Homerun season. I just don't see him ever hitting more than 25 again. I was shocked/stunned lasat year with the kind of year he had and didn't think he'd have another like it.

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's just my opinion.

What a fun game today! Jenkins was awesome today. He basically threw the whole team on his back and carried them today. So sweet to see #200 go out of the yard as a 3 run shot. Loved seeing the fans get him our for a curtain call there to. Jenkins now on the year:

.310 AVG, 9 HR and 24 RBI's.

And man whay can you say about the bullpen, great job. Villanueva is so great, and to think all we did to get him was trade Wayne Freakin Franklin! God Melvin screwed the Giants on that one. Then Wise, T-Bow and CoCo. CoCo is just sick, 17/17 Saves. Wow.

Lets do it tomorrow on the left coast boys! Keep Jenks and TGJ in the OF! And please get Rickie back ASAP and with Braun now healthy in AAA, perhaps another week or two till he's here?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Verified Member

I was at the game too, and I can't tell you what a huge relief it was to see the offense come to life and prevent this team from suffering another miserable loss. I know I would have been really down had we lost again.

When we got down 4-0 early, it seemed like the season was crashing and burning and you could just sense the doom and gloom. I had already envisioned the media ripping this team and the fan base getting angry and feeling cheated. But with one swing of Jenkins' bat, all the excitement of the hot start came back and you once again felt invincible. You just knew we were going to find a way to win the game. It's just so funny how one moment changes the entire feeling and restores faith and confidence.

Thank you so much Geoff Jenkins. We all needed this.

Congratulations on a super day and career homerun #200.

Quote:
When we got down 4-0 early, it seemed like the season was crashing and burning and you could just sense the doom and gloom. I had already envisioned the media ripping this team and the fan base getting angry and feeling cheated. But with one swing of Jenkins' bat, all the excitement of the hot start came back and you once again felt invincible. You just knew we were going to find a way to win the game. It's just so funny how one moment changes the entire feeling and restores faith and confidence.

This is interesting becasue I totally felt the same way. I didn't have doubts about the team, but I was frustrated. I was afraid what the media was going to do to them. I was worried about the West coast trip. I wasn't really worried about the players or team being worried, but I was more worried about the fans and media.

Had they lost today, it would have meant nothing in the big picture of the season, but it did a lot to ease the minds of a lot of fans and media.

I don't care about the ER's he's not pitching well.

I notice that there is a trend to dismiss results like runs allowed, and there is a tendency to call pitchers like Vargas (who haven't allowed as many runs scored) as "lucky", and pitchers like Bush (who have whored up a lot of runs ) as "unlucky". Fine. whatever.

I think that something like "pitching well" is a pretty subjective label, and regardless of the methodology used to process data -- to use such a subjective label in a difinitive manner, is very problematic.

Archived