Brewer Fanatic

I want Prince to Kick Vegetarianism Thread

fallingleaves

I am significantly concerned with Prince's lack of power output through this season and spring training. While some posters on Brewerfan claim either that it is to early to judge Prince's output from such a small sampling, or that Prince's order needs to return to the cleanup spot to increase his production, I for one, have little doubt in my mind that his taking up has vegetarianism is the core reason for Prince's slip of power in 2008.

Like Prince, I also decided to become a vegetarian a few years ago. I choose to become a vegetarian to lead a healthier life style, and achieved this goal for the first initial months. As a vegetarian however, I lost a significant amount of muscle mass. Like Prince, I am also a huge man, raised with a meat diet. Prior to becoming a vegetarian I carried 260 lbs on 6'4" offensive tackle frame. My weight dropped to 235 after a few months of vegetarianism. I became noticeably weaker during my time as a vegetarian, and I have little doubt Prince is feeling the same thing.

For the last twenty-odd years of his life, Prince Fielder's stomach has been conditioned to eat meat. Up to this point in his life, his muscle system has been built with meat proteins. In becoming a vegetarian, Prince has essentially shocked his body's metabolism system. Although vegetarianism may lead to better long term health, it certainly doesn't make you stronger, and doesn't bode well in the short term, for such a large, muscular man, who after all is a paid professional athlete.

Prince's reason to become a vegetarian is simply ridiculous considering he is a professional athlete. He didn't do it to enhance his physical performance and that is a problem.

Is Prince Fielder in better physical shape than last year? I think the answer is clearly no. For after all, you are what you eat.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be a lot more worried if he were hitting the ball hard and it just wasn't going far. But a change in diet is unlikely to have caused his timing to be off so he pulls everything foul or pops it up. That has nothing to do with muscle mass.

I just don't get it. I've been putting extra meat on pizza, eating extra meat myself and it hasn't worked. I can't eat anymore meat and there's no room left on the pizza, Prince. You know you want a big, juicy steak!

"I'd be a lot more worried if he were hitting the ball hard and it just wasn't going far. But a change in diet is unlikely to have caused his timing to be off so he pulls everything foul or pops it up. That has nothing to do with muscle mass."

It's not just for muscle mass or power. You need protien to develop just about every component of athleticism, including timing, coordination and definately explosiveness.

"Its amazing how many of you have bought into the meat-manhood myth."

It has nothing to do with manhood and it's not a myth. Female athletes need protein too. Anyone that has ever trained for a sport will tell you that eating right is important. Any dietician will tell you that that includes eating protein, fats and carbohydrates. He got his dietary advice from a book written by a fashion model for Pete's sake. Unless Prince is drinking about a gallon of whole milk per day, I'm worried about this.

I hope you guys know he didn't stop eating meat because of that book. He stopped eating meat because he was annoyed by the Klement's commercials. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Becoming a vegetarian has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't hit a HR yet. IIRC he started off 2006 a little slow as well. Doesn't mean anything. It's almost ridiculous to even feed into such logic.

Rp

-edited to add *nothing* which was what I meant and completely changes the context of my post.

Anyone that has ever trained for a sport will tell you that eating right is important. Any dietician will tell you that that includes eating protein, fats and carbohydrates.

Which is easily possible whilst being a vegetarian. I'm a vegan and I usually get about 150% of my recommended protein intake every day.

It's all about the protein. People may say that you can still get protein from other sources like vitamins and supplements and such but natural protein is best. And nothing's more natural that meat. Maybe the Brewers should offer Prince a big contract but only if he agrees to eat a big steak a couple hours before every game. Or they should make him visit the Big Texan and take on the 72 oz. challenge.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It's not just for muscle mass or power. You need protien to develop just about every component of athleticism, including timing, coordination and definately explosiveness

Dozens of players are having exactly the same issue as he is, it is called getting your timing down. If he didn't change anything in the offseason he'd still be slumping, people are just trying to find something to blame it on when it is just natural for a lot of guys to get off to slow starts every year.

Say what you want, you're not going to change my mind. I like animals, hell I got my bachelor's degree in zoology. But they are delicious as well. I'm sure you guys that are vegans/vegetarians/whatever have been so for awhile. The point is, Prince is new to it and his body probably isn't adjusted to it. Like someone said earlier, he's eaten meat for 23 years of his life and it's going to take awhile to get used to. I (and I'm sure a lot of others) think it was a mistake to stop. And the thing is, people aren't just saying this now. I know I was saying I was worried if it would affect his power right after he announced that he stopped eating meat. Sure it's not just about power and his swing isn't great right now but I think it's a factor to consider, just with how his body is adjusting to the lack of meat. Just something to consider.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'm sure you guys that are vegans/vegetarians/whatever have been so for awhile. The point is, Prince is new to it and his body probably isn't adjusted to it.

I've been a vegan less than a year. I couldn't just be a vegetarian because with cheese, I was too tempted to have some meat with it. Since I became a vegan, I've lost about 30-35 pounds of fat and added about 12-15 pounds of muscle. If you keep complete proteins in your diet, it's not like your body is gonna be like, "Hey! Wait a minute! This is soy, not london broil! I refuse!*" I'm quite sure the Brewers' training staff is keeping tabs on Prince's dietary habits.

Edit: *Unless of course you're allergic to soy.

This is just so silly. Prince even made mention of making sure he got enough protein. He's not an idiot and neither is the Brewer training staff. They have full time nutritionists!

Maybe Prince stopped wearing his lucky socks. THAT must be it! Prince, get those smelly things back on quick, we got the Mets coming up!!!

Prince's Homerless streaks of 8 of more games from last year:

April 4th - April 19th -- 13games

June 26th - July 6th -- 9 games

July 14th - Aug 1st -- 18 games

August 21st - September 1st -- 8 games

He also had streaks of 8 games or more 8 times in 2006.

EDIT: I guess it's been 9 games so far this season, but still.

Anyone that has ever trained for a sport will tell you that eating right is important. Any dietician will tell you that that includes eating protein, fats and carbohydrates.

Which is easily possible whilst being a vegetarian. I'm a vegan and I usually get about 150% of my recommended protein intake every day.

Possible, yes. Easily possible, no way. I'm not saying that it's definately his diet and only his diet that's hurting him, but I think you guys that are saying his new diet is defiantely not a factor are being pretty close-minded.

Exactly, I'm not saying that his diet is the only thing causing his swing, power, etc. to be off so far this year. I just think it's a factor to consider.

Archived