Brewer Fanatic

5/21/07 Brewers (Suppan) @ Dodgers (Tomko): 9:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't feel like you're picking on me. I'll stick by Estrada in the 5-spot no matter what the numbers say. I watch the games. I know who puts the ball in play. I know who gets the hits consistently. I know who can play both against righties and lefties and hit consistently. I know Yost does not want to put Jenks in the 5-spot because then he would have to switch his whole batting order every time he faces a lefty. With Estrada there, he can keep his 3-5 spots consistent.

OK, my argument for strikeouts vs. putting the ball in play:

2004 Boston Red Sox- led the league in strikeouts and won the World Series with a spectacular offense

Adam Dunn

Bill Hall last season

Andruw Jones

I'm pretty Grady Sizemore strikes out a fair share

etc.

EDIT: I'm obviously not trying to condone K's as a good thing, they're still outs. Just not nearly as bad as everyone says.

Hernandez was a good hitter - his last year with the Brewers he hit .288/.356/.478 as a SS. That's pretty awesome.

Sexson was a total and complete stud.

Hammonds sucked, but it didn't really have anything to do with the K's. Juan Pierre sucks too, and all he does is make contact.

That said, this team's going to be near the league lead in K's, too.

I guess it's just a matter of preference then. I like my hitting-machine type guys like Estrada. Guys where it's almost guaranteed they will see the ball well and give a good lick up there at the plate. I've always liked those hitters who made hitting seem almost effortless. It never seems like Johnny is shaken out there at the plate and I'm always confident in him when he's up there. If he keeps it up like he's going now, that 5-spot will be his for the rest of the year.

Quote:
OK, my argument for strikeouts vs. putting the ball in play:

Excellent points.. I guess on a team with Hall, Jenkins, Weeks. etc.. it is nice to have one or two guys to put the ball in play at least for a change of pace : )

I love it! How d you explain a .230 hitter like Counsell, hitting over .400 for his career with the bases loaded? Unreal!

If nothing else, you gotta keep Counsell on the roster just to pinch hit in the playoffs with the bases loaded

Quote:
If nothing else, you gotta keep Counsell on the roster just to pinch hit in the playoffs with the bases loaded

Or to face Mariano Rivera...

Also I don't think he has faced him but I bet he would own Papelbon..

Why not try to send Jenkins there with the pitcher up next or was it not an option? Gameday needs to show the runners in motion as the play happens..

Jenks hel up to make sure Kent did not catch it and the ball was really shallow

catch up to the fastball Rickie!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Woohoo!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What happened to Rickie Weeks, and what did he do with Rickie Weeks? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Nice to see that bat coming around.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived