Brewer Fanatic

5/21/07 Brewers (Suppan) @ Dodgers (Tomko): 9:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Scully and Garagiola were doing games on NBC every Saturday afternoon. I never missed the game of the week as a kid.

Vin Scully tells great stories. He's like sitting and listening to your grandfather tell an old story. Except Vin's stories were true baseball stories and most of our grandfathers exaggerated everything about 10 times. Especially mine.

This is why I miss my XM radio. Had two stolen and havent got a third yet. This conversation makes me want to go buy another.

Atta boy, Johnny.

It was a nice homer, but us "stat geeks" like to look at more than one at-bat.

At least you're man enough to admit it, jloos19.

Give me a guy who puts the ball in play anyday over a K machine. I don't need stats to tell me putting the ball in play gives yourself a better chance at finding your way on base.

Making a lot of outs hurts your team more than putting the ball in play, its as simple as that. Estrada is decent for a C but unless he gets his OBP up he simply gets out too much to bat #5.

To be honest, the reason Estrada doesnt have RBI is that Hardy and Fielder are clearing the bases at an alarming rate. You won't have three guys in the same lineup get 130 RBI. Prince and JJ are on a pace of 130+RBI.

When you have less RBI chances, you get less RBI.

Estrada keeps this up and you seriously have to consider him for the backup C for the all star game, especially if Martin gets voted in instead of McCann.

But Martin and McCann are both way better than him. McCann is going to get hot. I could see LaRussa taking Molina, too, because he is an excellent defensive player. Estrada still has a terrible OBP, those 6 HR don't negate that.

Quote:
To be honest, the reason Estrada doesnt have RBI is that Hardy and Fielder are clearing the bases at an alarming rate

Not true at all, the reason Estrada doesn't have a lot of RBI is because his OPS is under .500 with RISP, you simply are not going to drive in a lot of runs if you don't hit with RISP. He doesn't have a history of being bad with RISP so its just a fluke but thats the simple truth so far this year.

Estrada still has a terrible OBP, those 6 HR don't negate that.

he's still about middle of the pack for regular catchers in the NL in OBP, only he's flashed a bit of power and a nice average. I don't think he'll be an allstar, but I'm pointing this out since OBP isn't a stat that many catchers thrive at

His OBP isn't terrible, it just isn't alot higher than his average.

Coming into the game it was .302. That is revolting. Ausmus has a .363 OBP right now. The NL average for catchers this year is .318, last year is was .327, and in 2005 it was .313. He's below average in that department.

Makes you wonder what Weeks would be hitting if he still didn't have a sore wrist.. also makes you wonder if he will ever get back to not being sore.. both my ACL's still are sore years after being torn...

Of course Rickie is a tad better athlete than I am..

Archived