Brewer Fanatic

5/21/07 Brewers (Suppan) @ Dodgers (Tomko): 9:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should expect a lot more than just a single a night from a starting corner outfielder. I sure do.

Im not saying I dont expect more. Im just saying if people think everytime a guys only gets 1 hit in back to back games that he is no good or can get 3 or 4 hits the next game then that is dumb. Im just so sick of the Gwynn vs Gross discussion.

I like both guys! Ned will play who he plays. Whatever.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Gwynn is still swingin the bat well, he just missed hitting an RBI double yesterday. He smoked it but was out on a great catch. It's not like he was hitting lazy pop-ups yesterday.

Hopefully Weeks is back today. I'd like to see Gwynn or Gross in the lineup with Weeks leading off

Like I've said before, people will find ANY excuse to hate on Gwynn, no matter how well he's playing. That being said, rluzinski is exactly right, Gwynn needs to start hitting for more extra base hits if he doesn't want to be a reserve his whole career.

Quote:
You should expect a lot more than just a single a night from a starting corner outfielder. I sure do

The only reason Gwynn is in the corner sometimes is because Bill Hall can only play one OF position. Gwynn is a light years better fielder than Hall and should be in CF, except Hall doesn't know how to play a corner OF position evidently

I don't get the comment about Gwynn needing to get extra base hits. Maybe in the role the Brewers are plugging him into, yes. However, he seems to me like a prototypical lead off hitter. He's going to hit singles and use his speed to get on base.

The Brewers are using him like a square peg in a round hole, basically.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Exactly Invader3K! I'm glad some of us realize what TGJ is. There has been discussion in this thread about Juan Pierre and he has had a pretty solid career and I think that Tony Jr can be as good or better in the same type of mold. If you can fly, play great defense in CF (where he would be if not for Hall), and hit .300 or better you don't need to hit a lot of extra base hits to produce for your team. You just need a leadoff guy like him to get on any way possible and use his speed. He has a lot fewer at bats than Weeks and he already puts together much better at bats.

Quote:
There has been discussion in this thread about Juan Pierre and he has had a pretty solid career and I think that Tony Jr can be as good or better in the same type of mold

I don't think the Juan Pierre comparison is really a fair one, since there's no way in heck Gwynn has 60+ steals capability. Most of Pierre's value comes from his ability to steal bases.

Why the hatred for TGJ? I think that first of all, he's a rookie and we can look for him to improve upon his performance this season rather then the other way around. He doesn't look overmatched, but rather is confident at the plate and puts up great at-bats, he can run, he can play defense, and I for one would love to have him get one hit a night at the top of the lineup. As has been stated, you give a little with Gwynn with offensive production from the right-field position in terms of extra base hits, but gain production over the league norm at shortstop with Hardy, CF with Hall (hopefully), Estrada at catcher, and at 2b with Rickie if he plays up to his potential. A decent trade-off I would say.

In Pierre's rookie season with COL he had 7 SB and 6 CS in 51 games. In 32 games this year TGJ has 5 SB and 1 CS. I'm not saying that TGJ could swipe 60 bags in a season, but I'd sure like to see what he could do in a full season. Its hard to say and I don't think either one of us know what his true potential is, but I would like to think its pretty promising. There is no doubt that some of Pierre's value and production come from his ability to steal, but I would argue that there is more value that comes from his defense in CF and ability to get on at the top of the order and use his speed in various ways, much like TGJ. Plus, TGJ's arm is a TON better than Pierre's. My sister had a better arm than Pierre.

Well this is definitely a favorable pitching matchup for the Crew. Lets hope they can win a game that they should win.

I saw on ESPN today that Tomko is 7-1 vs. the Brewers along with a nice ERA against. That said, Crew Crush coming late tonight in a 13-5 bloodbath over the Dodgers. Dodger fans stay for an average of 1 2/3 innings after arriving in the 4th already down 6 runs.

I hate going to the west cost...

1. as mentioned earlier, seasons go to die on the west cost.

2. games start at 9pm and end past midnight..

2b. games end past midnight on nomar check swing basehits.

that being said, lets string a couple wins back to back and build our division lead back up

And Hawing, that is an awesome avatar.

Why, thank you, Stevo. It was surprisingly difficult to find. I expected "blue kool-aid" to produce more google image results than it did.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
I shall be listening on my steaming audio in Kansas. Yeeeeehaw. Where's my cousin I need get me some nookie!

Wow dude...nothing like horribly offensive stereotypes in the in-game thread.

I love the Rluz lineup...here's hoping.

I hope the Brewers get the west coast swing started on a high note. I'm thinking Jenkins returns to the homeland and keep his domination of Tomko up.

GJ had a great day yesterday and I smell one of his hot streaks.

You should expect a lot more than just a single a night from a starting corner outfielder. I sure do.

Except he isn't a corner OF. He's playing RF by default. Ideally, we'd have Hall in a corner OF spot and Gwynn in CF to play the Juan Pierre type role at the top of the order (except Gwynn actually has an arm).

In all fairness, Hall isn't putting up corner OF numbers either right now either.

Archived