Brewer Fanatic

5/21/07 Brewers (Suppan) @ Dodgers (Tomko): 9:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I was thinking about this during the game. I--like most others here--love Vin Scully. But he's talking about the Brewers more than Darron Sutton ever talked about our opponents, and Sutton used to draw a lot of heat for it. Is it just a double standard? IE, are we thrilled when another team's announcer gives us some love, but bitter when our announcer's praise other teams?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get your point DHonks, but I think it's more that Scully gives a very interesting background of a player on the opposing team, instead of just saying that they're "gritty" and a "battler."

Quote:
I was thinking about this during the game. I--like most others here--love Vin Scully. But he's talking about the Brewers more than Darron Sutton ever talked about our opponents, and Sutton used to draw a lot of heat for it. Is it just a double standard? IE, are we thrilled when another team's announcer gives us some love, but bitter when our announcer's praise other teams?

As long as Vin is talking I am listening.. I catch "For Love of the Game" all the time on cable to listen to him call a fake game.. .

I get your point DHonks, but I think it's more that Scully gives a very interesting background of a player on the opposing team, instead of just saying that they're "gritty" and a "battler."

I haven't heard him do it this year, but in past years he used to exclusively refer to JJ as "James Jerry." I always thought that was interesting.

And he has described Counsell and Gwynn as "tough outs." I wonder if there's some website dedicated to Dodgers fans complaining about Scully's praise for David Eckstein.

Also, watching this, I can't help but chuckle that I've never heard someone critique Andy LaRoche's "bad body," but they love pointing that out with Jeremy Brown.

ooooh... I think I might have had Soup call it a night after that hit by LaRoche. But Mike Rollins and everyone else here is glad I'm not the manager, so hopefully Ned makes me looks stupid.

(edit: hit by Ethier is what I meant...LaRoche walked of course)

At some point don't the Brewers have to bring up Thatcher..

Seriously you already have two pitchers you can't throw in close games (Dessens, Spurling). you need a left that can get righties out as well..

I think this is more critical than getting Capellan back up..

Archived