Brewer Fanatic

Designated Yost Thread... Latest: No accountability and lack of urgency (part 1)

http://www.rotoworld.com (search Carlos Villineueva).

Memo to Ned Yost: your owner and GM spent a bunch of money to bring in four new relievers in the offseason and there's currently five guys in the Milwaukee pen capable of going multiple innings. So why do the non-Ben Sheets starting pitchers keep getting chances to blow games? Villanueva was fine through six today, so maybe he deserved a chance to start the seventh. However, it shouldn't have taken five straight hits -- the second a homer -- to finally get him replaced. Yost has done nice things with the lineup this year, and it's encouraging that he's realized Derrick Turnbow shouldn't be the No. 2 man in the pen. Still, he's failing miserably at knowing when to make that first pitching change.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what Rotoworld had about Bush's start last night.

Dave Bush was charged with five runs -- four earned -- in 5 2/3 innings Wednesday in a loss to the Indians.

Since Ned Yost just doesn't know how to use him, maybe Bush should go to the pen to make room for Yovani Gallardo. It happened all of the time last year that Bush would fade after five innings, and Yost has let him pitch poorly in the sixth in both of his starts this season. It was an even worse decision to keep him in tonight when they could have pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the fifth (he singled, but that's really not the point). Bush, who allowed two runs through five, gave up three singles and a sac fly before being pulled in the sixth. David Riske then came in and allowed two inherited runners to score. As a result, Bush's ERA stands at 8.44 after two starts.
http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB&line=233646

I mentioned this in another thread but I don't have a problem with today's game at all. A little bloop single, a HR, a solid hit and then he faced Bako and Harang who he should be able to get out even if he is 'tired'.

your owner and GM spent a bunch of money to bring in four new relievers in the offseason and there's currently five guys in the Milwaukee pen capable of going multiple innings.

That would be the same bullpen that gave up 9 runs in just over three innings last night, right?

That would be the same bullpen that gave up 9 runs in just over three innings last night, right?

Yeah and two of the pitchers who had the most damage are the two lowest on the totem pole, right?

I have a memo to Rotoworld:

If a tree falls and no one is there, does it make a sound?

and...does it really matter what Yost did or didn't do with CV if the Brewers only score one run in a game?

I have a feeling this is going to be a long filled Yost hating season, but Yost doesn't swing at first pitches and have a horrible plate approach. Yost has been talking about the exact opposite and having good at bats. Yost is going to get blamed for quite a bit this year. I'm surprised nobody has blamed Prince's giving up meat and lack of production so far on Yost.

I dont see this ,as a Yost concern and more a concern that some of the starters can not go deep into games start after start. Parra and Villy have no real track record in the majors and Bush seems to be a 5 inning pitccher. These things could once again produce an over worked program.

I generally get quite nervous when Bush is still in for the 6th and 7th innings of close games, i wish Ned would be extremely quick tohave a relief pitcher up and ready to come in.

Today though, Villanueva was cruising. He gives up a bloop hit to Dunn and then hangs a curve, that was the ball game and i can't blame Ned for that.

Bush averaged more innings a start than Suppan did last year. You can't just take him out after 5 every game, that will lead to a tired bullpen. Basically, we're just talking about second guessers. If Bush goes 5 and gives up a run, he should have been taken out. Ditto after 6. Ditto after 7. After 8.

To be honest, the Crew just got outpitched the last 2 days. That's going to happen quite a few more times, I would guess about 50-60 minimum.

My beef is that Yost let CV give up 5 straight hits. Even if a starter is cruising, if it's not Sheets, you pretty much should have someone at least stretching in the 7th just in case. 5 hits without an out is inexcusable. Regardless of how he was doing before, clearly the wheels have fallen off at that point.

My beef is that Yost let CV give up 5 straight hits. Even if a starter is cruising, if it's not Sheets, you pretty much should have someone at least stretching in the 7th just in case. 5 hits without an out is inexcusable. Regardless of how he was doing before, clearly the wheels have fallen off at that point.

You have to consider how long it takes to get someone ready in the pen too. As soon as Encarnacion hit his bomb, there was a mad scramble in the pen.

You have to consider how long it takes to get someone ready in the pen too. As soon as Encarnacion hit his bomb, there was a mad scramble in the pen.

Agreed.

And I also agree with Ennder from earlier.

Maybe Yost could have used some of those, you know, intangibles to determine he was out of gas? It cuts both ways. And really, even in the light of pitch count, WHIP, and ball/strike ratio, Yost should have had some traditional baseball knowledge and instinct to know Villy wasn't going to go the distance, much less "keep the team in the game" vs Harang.

Maybe Yost could have used some of those, you know, intangibles to determine he was out of gas? It cuts both ways.

Villy hadn't given up any runs and had no pitch count issues to worry about. Unless intangibles = ESP, I don't think Yost missed anything he should've seen.

I agree with hauser about our SP. Besides Sheets, no one pitches beyond the 6th inning with any regularity. Yost wants to squeeze out all he can from his starters considering what happened in last season when his bullpen wore down in the last two months. However, now, we seem to have much better depth in bullpen and Yost shouldn't be worrying about this in a 1-1 game (not that I think he was with Villy yesterday).

Yeah, a check swing blooper, and 2 seeing eye groundballs. This isn't a video game where a new pitcher is ready by hitting the B button. In real life, it takes time to warm up pitchers, and Ned had no need to get someone ready before the home run.

Villaneuva was entering the inning at 78 pitches. Pitchers start to falter at 80 usually. You have to be aware and getting players ready.

So what happens then if Yost takes CV out after the first hit or two and the relief pitcher gives up runs? Is that still Yost's fault then?

Archived