Brewer Fanatic

Guess what Jr said to me in the 8th inning today?

RoseBowlMtg

For the record, he really was telling some guy to do sit-ups and eat some salad in the bottom half of the 7th. He kept rubbing his stomach, and then doing a sit up motion, it was one of the funnier things I have seen at MP. I think it's great when players have been around that long, and can still have a good time.

Here's what my friend overheard at the game on Tuesday:

Guy: "How does it feel to get $10 million to BUNT?"

Griffey" Ignores him

Guy: "How does it feel to get $10 MILLION DOLLARS TO BUNT?"

Griffey: Turns around, smiles and says, "15 million"

Guy: "How does it feel to get $10 million to BUNT?"

Griffey" Ignores him

Guy: "How does it feel to get $10 MILLION DOLLARS TO BUNT?"

Griffey: Turns around, smiles and says, "15 million"

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

That's classic -- I totally agree w/RBM on Griffey's personality.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jr laughing to himself: "I can't wait to hear the booing for Coco":

One of the greatest natural personalities I have heard. Good fun and loves to play the game.

he seemed t be talking with someone in the field as well. not sure if it was pitchers in the bullpen or fans...we were in the loge bleachers so we couldnt tell. he was getting a good laugh out of whatever it was.

i know there is a whole different thread on booing, but i didnt get why people would boo him. there was a decent smattering of boos on wednesday night...odd

on tuesday, i was sitting right there and heard the whole thing, it was hilarious, it more or less went "hey griffey, what, are they paying you 10 mil to bunt now????" then he turns back with his normal smile, and replies in a quiet, but joking manner "well, 13, but yeah" haha it was great, wasn't cocky or anything... just in a funny manner

I've told this story before, but it fits here. About 10 years ago, my best friend, my brother and his friend and I went to a Mariners/Twins game in MN. Griffey was manning center and my best friend was a huge Griffey and Mariners fan, so we decided to start yelling in between pitches or batters "GRIFFEY!" as loud as we could, as our seats were just a few rows up in right center. Keep in mind we were just teenagers then.

Eventually, Griffey started looking for who was yelling his name and we would wave and cheer. By the sixth inning, he was looking directly at us between every single pitch and we'd wave and cheer every time. He'd wave to us while we cheered as he was trotting off the field after an inning. I know, big dorks, but Griffey has a rare personality you just don't find among modern professional athletes too often.

I think it's odd that people look at griffey's career and wonder what could have been..sure, he coulda been a little better...but the dudes gonna finish up with willie mays esque numbers and he managed to be well liked throughout the entire steroids era...

honestly, he and frank thomas' reputations probably benefitted from their being hurt during the early 2000's because it has kept them far away from steroid allegations...

that sad, "the kid" was freaking awesome in the 90's...

I don't like the heckling of Jr. He seems like one of the better guys in baseball, and truely a talent with out being a jerk about it. There were a group of 8 kids of so that heckled him all night on Tuesday. Made me a sad panda.

honestly, he and frank thomas' reputations probably benefitted from their being hurt during the early 2000's because it has kept them far away from steroid allegations...
You hit the nail on the head, pogokat. I like both the players a lot, but there's some selective memory going in this topic. Jr. was labelled a baby and a whiner by much of the media and fanbase in the 90's. He was accused of being selfish for engineering the trade to Cinncinnati, later accused of dogging it, and finally accused of not being a "winner" because he didn't want Cincy to trade him to a contender. Of course it was all a bunch of crap.

The Big Hurt was also criticized for being selfish and a "clubhouse cancer" back in the day when the press had to dig up dirt instead being handed things like the steroid issue on a silver platter.

Archived