Brewer Fanatic

Did Cincinnati "serve notice" this series?

SeriesFinale

I know a lot of us (or at least I did) felt that, despite the small sample size, the Brew Crew made a pretty good statement taking two at Wrigley against the Cubs, especially with Zambrano and Lilly on the mound. I also know that the Reds missed Sheets and we got Cueto and Harang...all the same, did Cincinnati "make a statement" this week taking two at MP?

Personally, I think any statement they made was one the Crew was aware of anyway--the Reds will be pretty good this year and should eb considered legitimate contenders for the division. I just hate to give them a series at Miller Park when GABP has been such a House of Horrors for the Brewers as of late.

I don't think either team made a statement in either series. The Reds are a legit .500 team, I think things will have to break their way to make the playoffs though. They are going to cause us problems all year because we stink against righties and that is all they have.

No real judgements can really be made about any team until about 30 games into the season. We need a few weeks to digest what is going on around the league and for teams to get into the swing of things.

On that note... i can't wait to get Cameron in CF.

I said it in the IGT but this team scares me just as much as the Cubs. Their team matches up against ours in a bad way for the Brewers. The 3 -7 spots in the lineup, mostly lefty, is pretty tough for the Crew.

Pretty much the only part of the team that the Cubs have a clear cut edge over the Reds on is their bullpen, which can mostly be attributed to Carlos Marmol. IMO this is probably a 3 headed race as long as Dusty doesn't do something stupid like benching Dunn for clogging up the bases and starting Norris Hopper.

Their pitching is good; the lineup solid, if not just a little bit scary.

What I am most worried about the last few games is BrewCrew defense seems to be up to the same old shenanigans. It's better than last year, but still a lot of batted balls just out of reach of infielders recently and some bobbling with the glove.

Even if they don't do anything this year (they will be better than some think imo) that team is just scary in the future. Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Arroyo, Bruce, Votto, Encarnacion. That's a hell of a core right there.

For the most part, I just think the pitching matchups favored the Reds, and they capitalized on that.

I think the Reds were already on the radar as the darkhorse possibility in the division. It's all about their young starters, if they do well, that's a much different team. The thing is, that same statement is true of the Brewers, who I believe have a much better lineup.

Time will tell.

Even if they don't do anything this year (they will be better than some think imo) that team is just scary in the future. Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Arroyo, Bruce, Votto, Encarnacion. That's a hell of a core right there.

Not to nitpick, but you also forgot Phillips. It seems like the guy has been around forever but he's only 26.

Not to nitpick, but you can probably replace Arroyo with Phillips. I looked at that list and just didn't see why Arroyo would be in there, it is like listing Suppan as part of what scares other teams when facing the Brewers.

I was pretty high on the Reds and was even ready to pick them 2nd behind the Brewers but then they got Dusty Baker and I figured he'd find a way to destroy their chances.

They were the best team in the division last year after the break...and they are improved from last year. I've been fairly dismissive of them, but I'd have to admit it's probably a close three team race between the Crew, Reds and Cubs. The Reds starting pitching is improved...Cueto was impressive. They may have caught up to the other two teams. Coco is the best closer among the three. I like our depth more. I'd still give the nod to Marmol as the best reliever in the division.

The lineups are somewhat similar. All pound the ball in the middle and can put up big crooked numbers. They can also lack plate discipline and are streaky. Should be an interesting year.

Besides the fact that this was only the third series of the year this I'd say to the question that titles the thread a definitive no. Pittsburgh seems to own us every year, does that mean that they are a threat to win the division? No.

Cincy has nice young talent, but let's get to at least the midway point of the year to see how those young pitchers hold up before annointing them as heir apparents in the division.

Rp

I think the short term landscape in the division is Brewers vs. Cubs and the medium term is Brewers vs. Reds...at least that was my thought before the season started. The early returns suggest that Cueto might be a force sooner than expected...he was sure impressive. It may be that the Reds are part of the picture this year, but I still think they'll take some time to develop, and they might yet require a consolidation year like the Brewers had last year. They will also very possibly lose Dunn and Griffey before the young core is fully in place. Still, that's why they play the games...these questions will be answered in time.

Reds are a pretty good team but they didnt have to face our 3 best pitchers (Sheets, Parra, and Gallardo) and our offense is in a slump. I think Cueto might be the main reason for that though. That guy screwed us up bad. Next weekends series should be telling as they probably will face Sheets (If they stick to the rotation), Gallardo, and Suppan. Not a bad team at all but they do have issues at the beginning of their order. They cant sustain a consistent offense if Corey Patterson is your lead off hitter. Neither can we if Rickie continues to be his sucky self.

I think they made some statements we already know:

1) Baseball is still about pitching first. One Harang can kill a teamful of large lumber. IF, and it's a big IF, you've got two Harangs (Cueto) you're gonna be .500. IF, and it's probably an impossible IF, you've got three Harangs (Vol...) watch out.

2) And if you can't beat Josh Fogg at home, what hope do you have against Harang.

The playoff hopes of both teams ride a lot on the young arms in each rotation. I do think the Brewers offense is pretty clearly better, but that Cueto seems to have scary upside to me.

We have three young starters in Gallardo/Villanueva/Parra, they have Cueto/Volquez/Bailey. Given the importance of starting pitching, the health and performance of these six guys will dictate a lot for both teams.

The Brewers made a statement when they started the season 24-10 and looked like they would run away with the division. Our opponents can make as many statements as they want, provided the Brewers finish with more wins than them by the end of the year.

Corey Patterson made a statement in the series, that he is going to be the player Dusty always envisioned him becoming... But seriously folks, the Reds are more apt to give us a good run this year than the Northsiders. The Reds have some very good role players, a good core, and the top hitting prospect in baseball, according to Baseball America, waiting in the wings for his chance. Chicago has....Sam Fuld??? Between the three teams, whose outfield would you want? Soriano/Pie/Fukudome? Braun/Cameron/Hart? Dunn/Bruce or Patterson/Jr. Griffey? Quite the debate, in my humble opinion.

The pitchers lined up well for them. If Villy and Bush changed spots I think we win two of three. The one thing I think will hurt the Reds long term is their pen. They've got a couple guys who are decent but not much depth. They'll be better than in the past but I still like the Brewers and Cubs chances better.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived