Brewer Fanatic

Designated Lineup Thread / Latest... Haudricourt: Kendall Batting Ninth is Working (reply #113)

DrWood
I'm curious Naivin, what do you envision a career year from Braun being? He had insane success against lefties last year. Do you think that is a special skill he has? As far as Prince is concerned, if he doesn't lose this weight, it will be harder for him to stay in the lineup enough to improve on 50 HRs.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is a significant chance - somewhere close to 100%, that you're out of your mind.

Please remember to attack the message rather than the messenger. "... somewhere close to 100% that you're incorrect" might not have been the nicest way to state your point, but it would have been a better choice.

Note that "significant chance" isn't synonymous with "absolutely." A 20-30% chance would be significant, for instance.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think you will consistently see numbers similar to last year for both players throughout their careers. These guys have HOF caliber talent. I guess I'm curious what indications, if any, there are that they could not maintain similar results over time? As for Prince and his weight, that has always been a concern of mine, but I honestly don't believe you will see his "career years" until he is DHing in the AL a few years from now.

Well the switch has been made, here is the lineup per jsonline for todays game (4/13): http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/04/13/yost-flips-fielder-and-braun.aspx

Brewers

2B Rickie Weeks

CF Gabe Kapler

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

3B Bill Hall

RF Corey Hart

SS J.J. Hardy

RHP Jeff Suppan

C Jason Kendall

"We're excited about it," said Braun. "It's just a matter of being more comfortable. We just feel more comfortable this way."

Yost tried to downplay the switch, saying "it's not a major deal."

"Let's not try to over-dramatize it," Yost added.

If Braun and Fielder maintain similar years to last year over the course of their career, than describing last year as a career year won't really be that mindless, will it?

You said that these players should make themself better. I have a hard time imagining these players being significantly better than they were last year.

Well, I hope Braun and Fielder were professional when they asked and received the switch back. Nothing wrong with a manager listening to the players opinions and making judgements based off them.

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of the Yost haters will try to say this is Yost losing control of the team (which is always possible), but I really doubt it. Besides Estrada last year, I don't recall any rumors or complaints of bad attitudes from the players. This should not be blown out of proportion.

Wasn't this supposed to be about Braun getting more steal opportunities? Has he even attempted to steal yet this year?

Obviously if Braun isn't stealing bases like they expected and the players are vocally saying they're more comfortable going back it's a pretty easy decision to make.

It's probably more about getting opposing managers to use up their lefty relief pitchers for Prince and then immediately have to bring in a righty to face Braun. But Billy hits lefties pretty well so it probably still happens that way anyway. I liked Prince in the 3 and Braun in the 4, I wish they had been willing to give it more time. But if they start mashing again like last season there's nothing to complain about.

If Braun and Fielder maintain similar years to last year over the course of their career, than describing last year as a career year won't really be that mindless, will it?

You said that these players should make themself better. I have a hard time imagining these players being significantly better than they were last year.

They will be better, it just won't be obvious. Fielder will get his AVG/OBP up higher and do better with situational hitting and will play better in the field. He will have a better year than last year at some point but it just might not be more HRs.

The bottom line is Braun needs the protection more than Prince. I think that was obvious last year. I've seen Prince hit homeruns off his shoetops and up at his shoulders...Braun not so much. Braun hits (destroys) strikes. Prince can hit anything.

"It's a placebo," Yost said.

If this is truly what Ned believes, why make the change in the first place

Well, because of the placebo effect, of course. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif If they're happier that way, then who cares, it probably doesn't make a huge difference either way.

I think it's much easier to believe that Prince feels comforatble in the role that he had last year, and is unsure of his role now.

Well here's where I lose passion about a player defining his 'role' -- as I mentioned earlier, often times the player doesn't have the best understanding of his 'role' -- but specifically here, what is each hitter's 'role'? IMO it's unchanged whether you're 3rd or 4th -- work the pitcher, wait for a pitch you want to jump all over, and don't give away outs. Prince Fielder's 'role' is going to be the same every season he sticks in MLB. The walks will come, as will the power.

A lot of the Yost haters will try to say this is Yost losing control of the team (which is always possible), but I really doubt it.

Ok, here's more of the snarkiness aimed at those who criticize Yost -- where is this occurance, OOOverbay? Please do share. The blanket statements getting lumped on 'Tha Yost H8taz' at this point are... to put it most tamely... frustrating.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So they switched them and nothing changed, Braun still swung at everything and Fielder still didn't get a HR. When they finally do break out of the slumps can we avoid saying it had anything to do with batting 3rd vs 4th because it really doesn't. They aren't going to groove fastballs to Braun because Fielder is behind him, they'll still nibble as long as he swings and Fielder isn't going to somehow get better because the quality of hitter behind him isn't as high (Hall vs Braun).

You will find no one but Yost and possibly Melvin that disagrees. Hall is a guesser with decent power. Hart is easily the better overall hitter. With the pitcher batting 8th, it feels like Hart's talent are really being wasted in the 6th spot.

That said, I don't think it has much of an impact on expected run scored. It's just really... annoying.

Hall had one of the early key at bats in tonights game; left the first pitch fastball right down the middle (bad guess), then swung at a bad pitch off the inside and weakly grounded into a double play (worse guess). Bill (and Ricky) cannot seem to work the count into their favor and often hit the ball weakly in key situations. (Ricky lunges and pops up).

I am at a loss as to why Hart is still batting 6th. It almost feels like Yost is so behind his idea here that he's going to stubbornly stick with it until Hall hits a grand slam in front of Hart so he can say "I told you so."

I'm really curious as to what Yost was thinking at the beginning of the season by having Hall ahead of Hart. I know one difference in the lineup isn't huge, but the only argument you could really make is that Hall has slightly more power, but his approach has been so much worse than Hart's it's really not even funny. If this holds up, Hart won't get too much to hit with empty bases when pitchers know Hardy and the pitcher are following him.

Where can we find the numbers on how many times Corey's been LOB/stranded this season? It feels like every game Rickie gets on base, the next 3 get out, Bill comes up at the top of the next inning, gets a K, Corey gets on base, JJ pops up and the pitcher gets out. I can't imagine every team that scouts us doesn't know this at this point. I'm not sure that Corey batting 5th changes this too much, but at least there are no outs behind him and pop outs and bunts could advance him?

Archived