Brewer Fanatic

Designated Lineup Thread / Latest... Haudricourt: Kendall Batting Ninth is Working (reply #113)

DrWood
Little bit off target, but I think that the one thing that having Kendall bat 9th has shown me, is that batting order is irrelevant, as long as you don't do something completely stupid, like bat the pitcher leadoff. Anyone who honestly thinks that it makes a whit of difference batting prince 3rd and Braun 4th or vice versa just doesn't get it IMHO.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not a fair comparison but I'm putting it out here to make a point:

April: .270/.363/.449/.812

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=2642&type=batting&year=2003

People wanted this #8 hitter moved up after his great start as well. I don't think you start shuffling the lineup around based on a great 2 week period.

If he's batting over .300 in July......hell yeh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Little bit off target, but I think that the one thing that having Kendall bat 9th has shown me, is that batting order is irrelevant, as long as you don't do something completely stupid, like bat the pitcher leadoff.
Pretty much what I think as well. Everything about batting orders pretty much says the same thing. The most important thing is to have your 8 best hitters in the lineup as much as possible.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm no expert, but everything I've read says the 4th guy is supposed to take more pitches, and every single time a pitcher goes low and away on Braun he swings at it. Now, I know they could pitch the same pitches if he was third, but he would at least expect to see those pitches more considering they'd be more concerned about leaving men on base in front of Prince instead of Billy.

I also think Braun should bat 3rd. He is more of a 3 hitter, while I consider Prince more of a cleanup guy.

I think the complete opposite. Fielder will have just as high of an AVG and a higher OBP. Fielder = Ortiz, Braun = Manny.

According to the callers on WSSP 1250 yesterday after the 4-1 loss to the Reds, these are the changes that need to be made to the lineup:

-Weeks needs to be sent down to AAA to get his stroke back, just like last year. Just a couple of weeks down there will get him "right"

- Gross is a bum. He can't hit and his stats show (.150BA) that he shouldn't be in the lineup let alone batting SECOND!

- Fielder needs to concentrate more when guys are on base because he ONLY hits his homers with no one on base or when the team is up by 10 runs

- Kendall should bat leadoff

- The pitcher shouldn't be hitting 8th.

- Kapler should play against everyone, he is hitting .450. Yost is playing the splits too much!!

- Put Dillon in Center and hit him second. Anything is better than Gross.

That is pretty much the response of part of a fan base of a team that is 6-3, third in the league in runs scored, and your main guys in Weeks, Fielder, Braun, Hart, and Hardy haven't really hit much yet and Mike Cameron hasn't played yet. I thought the Cubs fans were crazy......

Weeks is the one that really stands out for me in that list. He is hitting the ball well, just not getting a lot of hits. If he were striking out a ton or something I could see a fan questioning it but if you have watched the games you know Weeks isn't really hitting that poorly.

You guys just don't get it...its not complicated. To many here, because Yost makes out the lineup, the lineup has to be wrong. Its not about hitters hitting or not hitting, those things are due to where Ned puts them in the lineup. Just look at the title of the thread.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You guys just don't get it...its not complicated. To many here, because Yost makes out the lineup, the lineup has to be wrong. Its not about hitters hitting or not hitting, those things are due to where Ned puts them in the lineup. Just look at the title of the thread.
Well I don't get this paragraph. Are you saying the hitters are or aren't hitting because of the order? Because Yost is putting them in that order.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

my point was not moving kendall because he was the "hot hand", but because he might be back to performing at his pre-2007 level.

Kendall in 2006:

.295/.367/.342

2005:

.271/.345/.321

Still seems a really good choice for 9th

What's funny is that I'm not even one of the Yost bashers... but maybe it's starting to sneak in to my subconscious.

my point was not moving kendall because he was the "hot hand", but because he might be back to performing at his pre-2007 level.

Kendall in 2006:

.295/.367/.342

2005:

.271/.345/.321

Still seems a really good choice for 9th

or 2004 .319/.399/.390

but I was thinking more like the 2006 numbers. Who is going to have an OBP higher than .367, excluding the guys that Yost wants in the middle of the order?

It's kind of weird that he's making as much contact as he is.

I disagree that it's weird... I love me some Weeks! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wow, this whole "protection" stuff is pretty confusing.

http://search.tvnz.co.nz/photogallery/images/gallery/entertainment/p_tony.jpg

Hey, I'm just trying to look out for you here -- it's for your own good, capiche?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

or 2004 .319/.399/.390

but I was thinking more like the 2006 numbers. Who is going to have an OBP higher than .367, excluding the guys that Yost wants in the middle of the order?

Yes if he hits like 2003 or 2004 it'd be great. But 2000-2002 and 2005-2007 it wouldn't. And we still have to deal with the fact he's a huge DP candidate. Cameron will likely have a .340-350 OBP but with power in the 450 range. 60 points of SLG outweighs 10-20 points of OBP.

Archived