Brewer Fanatic

5/23/07 Brewers (Capuano) @ Dodgers (Penny): 9:10 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
As players age, they move to the corners because they can't physically run balls down anymore, not because of tracking ability.

And Bill Hall doesn't have anywhere near the range or experience that Gwynn has in center. It is downright silly to have Hall in CF and Gwynn in RF

Tony Graffanino's entrance music: "picture me rollin" by 2pac

I believe that put his OPS under .500 for the season. We'll have to call it the Graffanino line, because that's rarified air for a player with 100 AB's.

Quote:
So with an off day on Thursday and Sheets possibly missing a start we dont need a 5th starter until Tuesday. So looking at the probables...next Tuesday it should be Villy vs. John Smoltz.

I'd prefer to see Gallardo, or have everyone move their day up, i.e. have Capuano pitch on Tuesday. Villanueva isn't stretched out enough and I'd rather not see Dessens in the 5th

And Bill Hall doesn't have anywhere near the range or experience that Gwynn has in center. It is downright silly to have Hall in CF and Gwynn in RF

I'm sick of watching this argument, so I'm gonna jump and defend RyDogg. You have to realize Bill Hall is gonna rake for a centerfielder and that's his permanent position. Moving him out of CF is downright stupid right now because he is still in his adjustment period. Gwynn may never even be a major league starter, so that would be quite dumb to move Gwynn into Hall's position just because Gwynn is better defensively RIGHT NOW than Hall. I agree that Gwynn shouldn't be playing a corner outfield for this team right now, he should be playing the role he played earlier this year, and that's a bench guy who can pinch hit and maybe start a rally. Gross should be playing right field against righties if Yost is so stuck on benching Hart.

Quote:
Hopefully Gwynn's poor night (again) gets him benched Friday.

Stow it. He had a single and a stolen base for his first AB. His second AB he worked the count very well and took a borderline strike, otherwise he has a walk. Bad first at bat, no objection there. Penny is a pretty tough pitcher and nobody has done much against him tonight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the largest lead the Brewers have had in the division is 8 games. Assuming they lose tonight they will have dropped 4 consecutive series and 10 of their last 14. However, with the Cubs losing and the Astros down 6-1 with 4 outs to work with, the Brewers will have only lost 1.5 games on their lead.

Is that right?

Quote:
Tony Graffinino OPS: 501

Barry Bonds OBP: 503

Advantage: Bonds

Somebody email that to Doug Melvin and Ned Yost. I can't wait to hear what they would say.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif

Quote:
I'd prefer to see Gallardo, or have everyone move their day up, i.e. have Capuano pitch on Tuesday. Villanueva isn't stretched out enough and I'd rather not see Dessens in the 5th

Agreed about Yo. I think Cappy will throw on Monday? That'll be his 5th day since we have Thurs off. And the Sheets replacement will go on Tuesday...not sure if thats Yo or Villy.

Quote:
Stow it. He had a single and a stolen base for his first AB. His second AB he worked the count very well and took a borderline strike, otherwise he has a walk. Bad first at bat, no objection there. Penny is a pretty tough pitcher and nobody has done much against him tonight.

First of all, I appreciate your courtesy. Second of all, Gwynn has just no power. There's no reason he should be in the lineup over Gross or Hart.

Ned probably figured we'd need to play small ball considering Penny hasn't given up a HR this year and the line on him for years has been he doesn't like to come inside much (I remember Bill and Daron harping on this for about 8 innings as Penny killed us a couple years ago). Gwynn is definitely a small ball guy.

This is another frustrating game in the past two weeks of frustrating games. Unless Corey Hart can move back to third base without committing 25 errors or Gabe Gross can bat 7 times and get a hit all 7 times, even with runners in scoring position, the Gwynn-Gross-Hart argument is fairly useless at this point. We just need more consistency overall, one guy isn't going to do that, it has to be a team thing.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Quote:
First of all, I appreciate your courtesy. Second of all, Gwynn has just no power. There's no reason he should be in the lineup over Gross or Hart.

Oh no problem. You deserve a stow it (like that's really offensive, it's from a hokey 80's show) after saying a guy had a bad night when at the time he was 1-3 with a stolen base, on a night where nobody is doing well. Now he's 2-4. Terrible night. He's at the top of the lineup. If anything, move him to leadoff or the 8th spot; where power isn't at a premium.

Second of all, Gwynn has just no power. There's no reason he should be in the lineup over Gross or Hart.

Yeah that is why ideally in my mind, you would eventually have: Gwynn Jr in CF as leadoff hitter. Bill Hall in LF. Corey Hart in RF. That is what I hope is in store for the Brewers in the future. I'm sure someone agrees with me there.

Archived