Brewer Fanatic

Gwynn to DL, Iribarren called up

People act like the last two starts are how Bush normally pitches. They are far from it. It usually has great control and has higher velocity.
Good point. Bush averaged less than 2 BB/9 innings over the past 2 seasons (almost 400 innings). So it would appear that something is up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bush was certainly the one I had in mind...does seem like something is busted in his arm. With all the talk about the pressure on him to step up and hold his rotation spot, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was concealing an injury. Tht's pure speculation on my part of course...

I believe there is room for one guy on the 40-man, two if Cameron doesn't count. So, it does kinda surprise me that Nix wasn't brought up since he is a plus defender in CF and a LH bat. Does this mean they've given up on him?

I really don't understand the problem here: neither Hart or Gross are centerfielders. We saw how a weak defense can undermine a team's long term plan, so why play both players out of position. We may love Gross' lefthanded bat on a team that's hurting for lefthanded bats, but there's a cost for that. That's why you call up Hurricane. If he was worse than either Hart or Gross do we really believe he'd be called up? Do you think the Brewers learned any thing from the Crabbe mistake? (That some of their minor leaguers may be better than they believe and deserve a chance on some level).

I agree with those that say Bush is better than we've seen thus far. But, even if he were pitching like he normally pitches, he'd probably still by the odd man out in my book. I think the other five are just better than him right now. I'd put him in the pen - as opposed to exposing him to waivers - and do something with McClung or Turnbow. If one of the youngsters falters or someone gets hurt, he can get another chance.

I believe there is room for one guy on the 40-man, two if Cameron doesn't count. So, it does kinda surprise me that Nix wasn't brought up since he is a plus defender in CF and a LH bat. Does this mean they've given up on him?

If they move him off the 25 man roster in a week or two, they would need to expose him to waivers again. They seem reluctant to do that. So in a way, this move means they haven't given up on Nix, or at least that they don't want to risk losing him. He's about fifth on the depth chart in CF, though, so he's presumably not viewed as a key cog now or in the future...rather he seems to be an insurance policy for the insurancy policy for the insurance policy.

I really expect Bush to go on the DL when Yovani comes back. People act like the last two starts are how Bush normally pitches. They are far from it. It usually has great control and has higher velocity. His curve ball is usually in the low 70s, not the mid 60s, his fastball between 88 and 92 not topping out at 87. And its isn't Bush's fault that in two games with two golden opportunities Yost has yet to get Shouse to face Adam Dunn even though the game was on the line both times.

I kind of wondered last night if Bush was suffering from the old "Dead Arm" injury that crops up now and again for pitchers. Like you said his velocity seemed well below his norms that I remembered. He seemed to be missing high and away from batters last night, especially to the LH'ers or as was mentioned to Dave's arm side. He just didn't seem to be following through and left the fastball up in the zone or high and away in almost the same spot each time. Maybe his back hurts and he can't bend through it? Either way I just don't get how he could suddenly forget how to throw strikes.

I really don't understand the problem here: neither Hart or Gross are centerfielders. We saw how a weak defense can undermine a team's long term plan, so why play both players out of position. We may love Gross' lefthanded bat on a team that's hurting for lefthanded bats, but there's a cost for that. That's why you call up Hurricane. If he was worse than either Hart or Gross do we really believe he'd be called up? Do you think the Brewers learned any thing from the Crabbe mistake? (That some of their minor leaguers may be better than they believe and deserve a chance on some level).

Hart is much more of a CFer than Irrabarren.

I'd say the most logical choice would be to put McClung on waivers and move Bush to the pen. What is Bush's ERA against hitters the first go-around in the order? Any better? Any worse?

In that way, Bush is kinda an abnormality. I don't have the numbers right now, but if you made a graph of his ERA by inning, he tends to really struggle in the first inning, so it would start out high then decrease and then take a major jump again around the sixth inning.

Archived