Brewer Fanatic

Gwynn to DL, Iribarren called up

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By Yo joining the team in NY it appears as if they will be skipping his last rehab start. His next scheduled day to pitch is Monday, which just happens to be Bush's spot.
It would be Tuesday with the day off, but yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Yo went 90 pitches and did well yesterday, so he could be ready to go.

I just hope we don't see a 13 man staff next week when Gallardo is activated, but I could see them doing that.

It was alluded to in the Journal Sentinel today that last night's start was "very important" for Bush, and that seemed to come straight from Ned's mouth. I know Ned seems to have some crazy love affair with Bush, but seeing as how he's put up the only two losses for the team and has been walking people like crazy, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him lose his spot.

Gwynn is out with a sore hamstring, right?

If you watched Gabe Gross "play" center last night and still don't understand this move, you aren't paying attention.

Yeh, especially that routine play that Gross wasn't able to bring back into the park.

Gross is certainly a corner outfielder first but let's try to keep some perspective when evaluating him in CF.Both plays that he "should" have made were not routine.

Hart should be in CF anyway, so this whole situation doesn't make much sense anyway.

I am thrilled. The Hurricane was my first Brewers man-crush. I remember going to Beloit to see Hernan's first game at the A level. I felt like an idiot when I told Hernan "Welcome to Beloit" in Spanish while getting his autograph. He looked at me strangely and said "Thank you" in perfect English. Little did I know that Hernan can speak English just fine.

Melvin was on Brewers 360 this morning. He basically said they didn't want to test Gwynn out in the cold, rainy weather, only to have him reinjure the hammy. This way, he'll only be out another eight days.

As for Gallardo, Melvin said he wasn't going to be activated unless necessitated by rain. If they have a double-header due to rain, then he'll probably be activated. Otherwise, he said he would pitch one more game in AAA.

They also had a sound-bite from Gwynn, who said he totally understands the move. He's "not the type of guy who's going to hit the ball out of the park, he needs to play with his legs." He said he needs to be 100% to help the team and it wouldn't be fair to everyone else if he's out there playing at 80%.

As far as my own opinion, I feel bad for Tony, in that this 25 day period was a great place to show what he can do. As far as pitching, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see McClung traded or DFA'd soon, moving Bush to the 'pen as a "true" long-man and making a place for Gallardo. I think the Brewers are waiting out the weather (rain delays / postponed games) to determine how the pitching order will work out. No sense adding Gallardo to the 25-man until necessary, and the want to keep him on schedule, even if it means another AAA start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gross is certainly a corner outfielder first but let's try to keep some perspective when evaluating him in CF.Both plays that he "should" have made were not routine.

Yep... I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that TGJ makes either of those plays.

Hart should be in CF anyway, so this whole situation doesn't make much sense anyway.

Agreed -- It seems too simple to let Hart play CF.

I know Ned seems to have some crazy love affair with Bush, but seeing as how he's put up the only two losses for the team and has been walking people like crazy, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him lose his spot.

He may very well lose his spot -- but if it was because of last night, that would be quite unfair. It is almost like putting all of the burden of Cappy's losses last year squarely on Cappy.

It seems foolish to not put the best possible defense out there, even if (horrors) it does mean moving Hart between RF and center.

I felt like an idiot when I told Hernan "Welcome to Beloit" in Spanish while getting his autograph. He looked at me strangely and said "Thank you" in perfect English. Little did I know that Hernan can speak English just fine.
That's funny.

If Hernan got called up solely as a CF, I am surprised Nix wasn't called instead.

Yep... I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that TGJ makes either of those plays.

Agreed -- It seems too simple to let Hart play CF.

I know Ned seems to have some crazy love affair with Bush, but seeing as how he's put up the only two losses for the team and has been walking people like crazy, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him lose his spot.

He may very well lose his spot -- but if it was because of last night, that would be quite unfair. It is almost like putting all of the burden of Cappy's losses last year squarely on Cappy.

In general I agree with this statement, but as it specifically applies to last night, no one else but Bush can be blamed for walking 6 guys. He just does not seem to have the stuff to be able to make a quality start. He's fine for about 4 innings, then it seems to slide downhill. We scored 4 runs last night. We were down 2-1 and came back and gave him the lead. Cappy was missing run support, but I don't think you can say that here. I agree with the principle of what you're saying, but this isn't a new problem for Bush.

It was alluded to in the Journal Sentinel today that last night's start was "very important" for Bush, and that seemed to come straight from Ned's mouth. I know Ned seems to have some crazy love affair with Bush, but seeing as how he's put up the only two losses for the team and has been walking people like crazy, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him lose his spot.
Although Ned was raving about how "Bushie kept us in the game" last night in the press conference.

Although Ned was raving about how "Bushie kept us in the game" last night in the press conference.

Still with as bad as McClung was and as rocky as Bush has been, you would think they have to cut McDung and move Bush to the pen as the long man with Yo in the rotation.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

no one else but Bush can be blamed for walking 6 guys. He just does not seem to have the stuff to be able to make a quality start.

Bush only walked 3 guys -- while that is not a super performance by any means -- that's not 6.

I really don't want to defend Bush, as I thought he was largely ineffective -- but he really did not get picked up by his teammates.

Bush is certainly not helping his case for long term rotation employment, but last night the whole team should have gotten a butt-chewing.

Bush did walk 6 guys in his first start. He clearly has no location at all this year. While he certainly didnt get helped by the defense, he still was getting hit very hard. Just because Gabe didnt get to the one flyball over his head and the Dunn home run doesn't mean that those two pitches werent absolutely crushed. IMO Bush is by far the weakest link in the rotation but would be serviceable in a McClung type of role. Perhaps our expectations for him are a little high after he suprised as all after he came over from Toronto.

What strikes me is not necessarily the number of walks but his ball to strike ratio. In 2 games this year, he's thrown 203 pitches. Only 111 of them were strikes. That's 55% And more importantly, they seem to come in bunches which puts pressure on the team without the opponent swinging the bat. And when he "pitches to contact", you tend to need a ticket to get them back.

So I'm not overly excited about a guy who tends to throw a lot of balls in a row coming in in the 5th or 6th inning.

Just my 2 cents...

In the same blog as the Gwynn/Iribarren move, Haudricourt showed three options that could happen once Gallardo is activated from the 15-Day DL, some are interesting, some are not very surprising:

*Send Dave Bush, Carlos Villanueva or Manny Parra to Nashville. Bush has been the worst starter by far but would have to clear waivers to go down because he has three years in the minors.

*Send Bush to the bullpen and put Seth McClung on waivers. McClung didn't help himself by pitching horribly last night.

*Make some kind of move with Derrick Turnbow, who has become the odd man out in the bullpen. The Brewers could see if Turnbow has any trade value.

I'd say the most logical choice would be to put McClung on waivers and move Bush to the pen. What is Bush's ERA against hitters the first go-around in the order? Any better? Any worse?

Welcome to Milwaukee, Hurricane!

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/playerpix/hernan_iribarren.jpg

Bush is generally at his worst in the first inning and from the stretch. On paper he would make a terrible RP.

In reality who knows, RP have a different approach to the game than SP, maybe that would help him.

How fast is the hurricane compared to other Brewers players?
I don't know 60 yard times compared to other Brewers or anything but he has some nice wheels. Terrible base stealer though.

Is Irrabaren a lefty?
Bats left, throws right.

I really expect Bush to go on the DL when Yovani comes back. People act like the last two starts are how Bush normally pitches. They are far from it. It usually has great control and has higher velocity. His curve ball is usually in the low 70s, not the mid 60s, his fastball between 88 and 92 not topping out at 87. And its isn't Bush's fault that in two games with two golden opportunities Yost has yet to get Shouse to face Adam Dunn even though the game was on the line both times.

Archived