Brewer Fanatic

Advice for visiting Huntsville and Nashville?

I'm planning a road trip from Milwaukee to visit Nashville and Huntsville this summer to take in a few games when their home schedules coincide. I've never been to either place, so thought I'd see if anyone who's been could offer up some recommendations.

Anything I should know about the stadiums? Does anyone tailgate? Best seats? Joe Davis doesn't seem to get much love...

Outside of the games, I'm sure I'll find plenty to do in Nashville, but any must see attractions / restaurants / bars / hotel recommendations in either city?

Thanks!

Joe Davis is kind of a dump. I went there last August for a game, walked up, and had the pick of the stadium as far as seating went. I got up from directly behind the plate, 2nd row, after the first inning and sat down 1st row behind the Stars dugout.

I am a season ticket holder for the Sounds and visit Huntsville frequently and neither stadium is that great. The one in Huntsville is slightly nicer though. Personally, I think my seat on the front row behing home plate is the best seat in the house, but that's just because I don't like having to watch for the ball as often. It's usually pretty easy to get a seat in whatever section you would want to sit in. I never see anyone tailgating before games. There's a BBQ restaurant on the 4th floor of the stadium offices, but I personally won't eat there. (It's new this season and has had 3 locations before which all failed their health inspections with scores as low as 42.)

What price range are you looking for in hotels and what types of bars do you enjoy?

So if I was tailgating, I'd get plenty 'you're not from around here, are you' looks? :-)

I plan to be out and about more than sitting around a hotel, so I'd prefer well under $100/night, which probably precludes anything in the downtown area. But if there's a cool hotel in the middle of the action, that might be worth it.

I like bars with character, where locals hang out. I'd imagine there are some tourist traps in Nashville.

You would definately get some looks!

There's a Best Western-Music Row that's not too bad (meaning as a single female, I would probably stay there) and then there's a Comfort Inn Downtown on Demonbreun that's not bad. (I have stayed there!) Both are right off Music Row and near 2 of the local "see and be seen" hotspots. There's a strip of bars on Demonbreun and a few blocks away is the area known as The Gulch. Of course, Broadway is full of touristy type places such as Tootsies and the Paradise Park-a trailor park themed place with fantastic food! 2nd Avenue is another spot for tourists. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'll see what I can come up with for Huntsville.

There's a BBQ restaurant on the 4th floor of the stadium offices, but I personally won't eat there.

Are you talking about the Sounds or the Stars?

I think one reason people don't tailgate is that it's so hot in Nasvhille in the summer...much warmer and consistent than Wisconsin. The players for the Sounds usually don't even come out to warm up until there is 10 minutes or so until the first pitch -- when it's really hot. Don't get your hopes up for the Sounds' ballpark. It's in bad shape. I really enjoy going to the Sounds games though because it's cheap (most expensive ticket is $10) and you get a lot more access to the players in terms of baseball talk and what their coaches are trying to get them to accomplish. I think part of that is because Nashville is far from a baseball town and you can pick up great seats the day of the game.

The only thing I would watch out for is Thirsty Thursday nights. Those games have sold out in the past and you may be out of luck buying a ticket the day of the game.

I'm talking about at the Sounds stadium. It replaced Sluggers this season.

That makes sense. I didn't think they had bbq last year. I've only ate at Sluggers once and got some chicken tenders that weren't anything special, but they weren't awful either.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I lived in Portland OR for many years and loved going to Beaver games (Padres AAA). Can't beat the atmosphere. They had Thirsty Thursdays there, too -- must be a minor league staple.

Archived