Brewer Fanatic

NHL Playoff thread.

BoneDaddyKool
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Nabokov saved the season, but Turco with his jump kick spread eagle saved the game for Dallas. And yes I'm still watching in 3OT at 12:45am!

It's 4 OT now! I'm watching this thing until it's done. Nothing is more exciting than overtime playoff hockey.

I'd been waiting the entire playoffs for one of these all-nighters and finally got it!
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I have a hard time understanding how 85% of my friends have nothing to do with the NHL playoffs. The Stars-Sharks game was amazing... the save by Nabokov was breathtaking... and I was just a casual observer, for I had spent all my emotions of the Pens-Rangers game...

The NHL Playoffs are a very well kept secret right now, much to the League's own doing. But Man o Man, what some awesome games, the Conference finals should be just as good.

Funny side note, I was trying to explain to my girlfriend why most of the players have beards... (I have grown a goatee till the Pens are done) She's like, why??? I tell her it's a tradition, and traditions in sports are a cool thing. She didn't get it. Oh well...

Anyway... Pittsburgh-Philadelphia... should be awesome LETS GO PENS!

Detroit-Dallas... Detroit in 5? Maybe? But Man, Dallas is really Hot right now

ALL my friends from my college days are Red Wing fans, and IF Pitt and Detroit meet in the finals... we may never talk again, or at least we'd drop the gloves.

The more I think about it, that save by Evgeni Nabokov was the best I've ever seen. When you take in the context of the game and circumstances... and how eveyone in the building thought it was the game winner. Unreal, seriously, unreal. Makes ya just kinda love sports even more, with that kind of drama. Good stuff.

Yea, it was amazing. I was telling my girlfriend that the game will probably end on a fluke bounce or cheap goal. Glad that wasnt the case. Good stuff, great to see. I had been playing call of duty till late and I was pleasently surprised.

Verified Member
Actually, it was cheap, how could a power play in the 4th OT not be?

Well to be fair San Jose got a cheap power play as well in one of the overtimes. You may not have noticed it though because they spent almost the full two minutes in their own zone. Speaking of which, how pathetic was San Jose's power play? They couldn't even keep it in the zone to create scoring chances. I've seen pee-wee hockey teams execute better power plays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope I wasn't the only one who watched that 3OT thriller last night. That arena was just buzzing--I can't believe Pittsburgh pulled one out of Detroit.

I'd also like to mention that I think NBC's coverage has been very good with great announcing all around. I also love the commercial-free OT periods. Last night goes 3OT and it was still over by 11:30PM.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Yeah that was totally a long game. I was thinking, I should get to bed. But the game kept going.

I'm glad Pitt won, nothing would make me happier then watching the hearts of the Wings fan cringe when they lose in Game 7.

Amazing game! As a Pens fan, I had a bad feeling about the third period, and it went like I thought it would, but when Talbot tied it with 35 seconds left, I flew outta my chair! A Game with that much drama just goes to show how the NHL Playoffs are so entertaining. I've alreadt gotten one of my Non hockey friends to watch the finals so far, and he's even said, "Wow, this is pretty cool."

Burnie, you are right on about NBC's coverage. No commercials during overtime? Yeah show me another sport that would do that. You can't blink durning a game like that, you might miss something.

I hope both teams are resting up, Game 6 should be another thriller, Mellon Arena is going to be rockin!

yep, hockey is one amazing sport--probably my 2nd favorite after baseball. The only thing about the NBC broadcast that I don't like is the same when FOX had the rights--the play-by-play guy. He's got too high and whiny of a voice whenever he gets excited and you can't hear him and/or understand him over the crowd.

I prefer Gary Thorne on hockey broadcasts.

Can't wait for game six. I almost got out some NHL 06 action on my computer last night because I was so pumped up.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Gary Thorne is great, but I do like Mike Emrick just as much. I don't mind the way he sounds, he's just really into it. I can see where it could bother some though.

I am also fired up for Game 6. As an added bonus, I believe the Brewers have an afternoon game on Wed. so I won't have to be flipping channels.

I used to watch hockey quite regularly for a while, but haven't since the strike. I got caught up big time in the game last night because a few folks were talking about it in the chat. I thought, well, it will be fun to see Detroit erupt in flames.....but Pittsburgh played quite the tough game. I finally turned it off (at my wife's behest) at 11, and I'm sad I missed the rest of it. But, I will definitely be watching the next one!

It was an "instant classic" of a hockey game. I was jumping up and down in my living room, not because Pittsburgh won, but rather because Detroit lost. (Love the Blue Note). Seeing Mike Babcock's face was absolutely priceless. 34 seconds left, AWESOME!

Great game last night, not the outcome I wanted, but a great game. Sykora telling the NBC announcer he would score and then netting the game winner - classic. As a Redwings fan I'm not worried , ah who am I kidding, I've seen this before. Go Detroit! Finish off the guins. I'll agree that Thorne is awesome - I love that guy.

considering that Detroit was 35 seconds away from the Cup, and the huge saves in OT by both Fleury and Osgood, and yes Sykora telling the announcer, "I'm gonna score the winner." That game was awesome, maybe the best I've seen in the Finals in a long, long time.

I said to myself last night that if Pittsburgh didn't score on that four minute power play Detroit was going to take all of that momentum and score within a couple of minutes after that power play was over.

Fleury was outstanding last night. Come on Pens, force a game 7!

I'd also like to mention that I think NBC's coverage has been very good with great announcing all around. I also love the commercial-free OT periods. Last night goes 3OT and it was still over by 11:30PM.

Now if we could only get this great announcing for baseball games. Fox and ESPN suck. I wish they would get some new and better commentators for the games on Fox and ESPN.

It was a great game I can't believe the Pens came back and won that game. I thought for sure Detroit was going to win during the first over time. I'm definitely going to watch the hockey game over the NBA finals tonight.

My son, who is 3, refuses to believe that there is a hockey team called the Pittsburgh Penguins. He's down with MLB, NFL, etc., and understands the whole mascot concept, but something about "Penguins" makes him suspicious. (I think it is that "Happy Feet" movie.) Anyway, I going to make him watch a little of Game 6, to convince him.

Archived