Brewer Fanatic

If Tony jr. goes down to AAA

docduany
I kind of asked this question in the MLB forum, but this forum is most likely a better place for this question. When Mike Cameron comes back from his suspension. If Tony Jr. gets sent down, will he play center field everyday? Obviously you have Tony in the lineup everyday. But he's already a MLB ready defender in center, or so I believe. I'm wondering if people think that it's more important for the Hurricane to take center everyday. If the Hurricane is going to be a utility player in Milwaukee next season or at least be in the conversation don't you want a full season to see if he can play center well? I'm not sure if he's MLB ready at second, but I would guess that the Brewers have enough information on his infield defense. Thoughts?

Gwynn would get the lion's share of the starts in CF for sure. He'd also get some time in LF and RF as long as he's there. Iribarren is being tried out at all three outfield spots and would still get a start or two a week in center even with Gwynn's presence. They like Iribarren's defensive potential in the outfield, but not solely in center. Gwynn's presence shouldn't hurt Iribarren's development as an outfielder. If nothing else it would provide Hernan with a close-up look at the play of a very good center fielder.

I know this is off topic, but i still think moving Irabarren to the outfield is a stupid move. Weeks isnt exactly tearing it up, and we have zero infield depth, both at the majors or the minors. I am not all that elated with Dillon and Counsell playing everyday if Weeks or Hardy goes down. We also have a logjam in the outfield, going all the way down to Brevard County. I don't think, this move makes zero sense to me.

That being said, I would like to see Gwynn in the majors all year round. He's the best defensive outfielder we have, which pays dividends late in games. He can steal bases, he works the count, he can bunt. Unfortunately, we have a plenty of outfielders and he's the most likely to go down. I think if he does, he should play every day and get as many AB's as possible.

I know this is off topic, but i still think moving Irabarren to the outfield is a stupid move. Weeks isnt exactly tearing it up, and we have zero infield depth, both at the majors or the minors.

We have plenty of IF depth. Beyond Counsell and Dillon, we've got Escobar and Chavez.

Plus it's not like they can't move him back to 2nd base if someone goes down. I don't think he's going to forget how to play 2nd. We also have Abraham Nunez and Vinny Rottino if we need someone to play 2nd/3rd.

Do we know for sure that he's been moved to the outfield permanently?... Or is this simply to give him exposure to more positions so he can be a super-utility guy? Personally, I think it's the latter.

I'm going to imagine that he's going to be moved all over the place. Kremblas has made it known he's not afraid to move guys around and get them exposure to other positions. Since the Hurricane has been called up the Sounds have been playing with only 3 "true" outfielders. Nelson, Sollmann, and Heether have all played outfield so far this year in addition to Stocker, Nix, and Katin. There might be some more too, but those are the only ones I've seen in the outfield.

Kremblas believes the more positions a guy can play the better off he may be in the long-run in terms of his career in the bigs.

Archived