Brewer Fanatic

MLB Blackout Restrictions

adambr2
I think they're planning on working on the restrictions over the next year. The problem is, without the blackout restrictions, the broadcast contract isn't worth as much to the broadcaster (who would worry that they'll lose viewers to the net).

Rather than start another thread on MLB.TV issues...

One of my employees is moving out of the Brewers' market this summer. It recently occurred to me that a nice parting gift might be a subscription to mlb.tv for the rest of the 2008 seasson, so it would be easier for him to keep following the Brewers.

Given the way it appears to be set up, am I correct to assume that it would not work if I made the purchase, since my credit card 'home' address is in Wisconsin? I could front him the $ as a gift, though it wouldn't be too much of a surprise then, and he could sign up once his new home information is established.

Does that make "MLB sense"? (I figure they have their own special brand of 'sense.')

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think they're planning on working on the restrictions over the next year. The problem is, without the blackout restrictions, the broadcast contract isn't worth as much to the broadcaster (who would worry that they'll lose viewers to the net).

That's what I don't understand. Are they really that worried about losing viewers to the net? Do they really think that if the broadcast is available on my television, I'm going to load up the net to watch it? Do people actually do that?

If that's the concern, why not just black out the games in the markets where they ARE available on television that particular day?

hawing,

yeah, I think you've got it right. If you wish to get this person an mlb.tv subscription, he'd have to "order" it himself I believe. I wonder if you contacted mlb.tv (mlb.com?) about this they'd be able to help you. You can't be the only person that wants to order a "gift subscription" of their service.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Rather than start another thread on MLB.TV issues...

One of my employees is moving out of the Brewers' market this summer. It recently occurred to me that a nice parting gift might be a subscription to mlb.tv for the rest of the 2008 seasson, so it would be easier for him to keep following the Brewers.

Given the way it appears to be set up, am I correct to assume that it would not work if I made the purchase, since my credit card 'home' address is in Wisconsin? I could front him the $ as a gift, though it wouldn't be too much of a surprise then, and he could sign up once his new home information is established.

Does that make "MLB sense"? (I figure they have their own special brand of 'sense.')

Hmm, that's a good question. On the surface, I think you should be fine -- I'm pretty sure they go by IP address, not billing address. In fact, they must, because I do know that some people circumvent the blackout restrictions with the use of a proxy server.

I suppose it's possible that he may have some problems off the bat due to the billing address, but a phone call to their customer service department to verify the IP address should be able to clear that up.

Archived