Brewer Fanatic

5/25/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Padres (Maddux): 9:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
i agree guys though he just isn't going to bat 3rd right away, but that should be his spot once he gets comfortable up here.

That may actually be the best spot for him to get comfortable - he'll see a lot of good pitches between Hardy and Fielder.

One reason Hardy has been tearing it up is because pitchers would rather try to test him than Fielder, and he's been feasting on high fastballs so far. Imagine Braun getting the same benefit right out of the gate instead of being relegated to 6-7-8 purgatory.

he'll see a lot of good pitches between Hardy and Fielder.

No doubt about that. Hitting between Hardy and Fielder the way they are hitting is going to give Braun a ton of fastballs and strikes to swing at. 3rd just seems to make the most sense. Hitting in between the top two HR hitters in the NL is a very very good thing.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If I see this lineup (Statman's):

Weeks

Hardy

Fielder

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

Braun

Hart/Gross

Bush

or this one (trowekamp's):

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

Gross/Mench/Hart/Gwynn

Bush

I may just go ahead and wet my pants right now.

my lineup for tonight would have to be

weeks

gywnn

hardy

fielder

hall

jenkins

braun

estrada

bush

I really think estrada would handle hitting in the 8 spot the best. I personally believe the 8 spot is one of the hardest spots to hit in the lineup and would hurt braun to be in that spot. Estrada doesn't walk or strike out much which I think would fit in that 8 spot.

The fact that Estrada doesn't walk is the reason I wouldn't want him in the eighth spot. You want the #8 hitter to clear the pitcher's spot. With Estrada hitting eighth we'd see the pitcher leading off the inning a ton.

could it honestly be anymore than counsell or graffy

Counsell has a .360 OBP (.351 batting 8th), and Graffy's is .261 (.270 batting 8th). The Brewers have had a .315 OBP total out of the 8th spot in the lineup.

So, I would say the pitcher would lead off an inning more often with Estrada batting 8th.

Quote:
The Brewers have had a .315 OBP total out of the 8th spot in the lineup.
And Estrada's OBP is .303 so it can't be that big of a difference.

I agree that Estrada probably shouldn't be hitting 8th, but all the crazy little rules for line-up orders come off as overkill to me sometimes.

All I know is our lineup (any way you slice it) just got a lot better overnight.

statman0007: "the fact that Estrada doesn't walk is the reason I wouldn't want him in the eight spot"

I believe just the opposite statman0007. The fact that Estrada doesn't walk or put another way, can hit bad balls, is exactly the reason he should hit 8th.

Clearing the pitcher's spot is one of those secondary goals. Yeah it has some effect, but it's less important that having the 8th hitter capable of getting a runner in against a pitcher who is basically pitching around him. What do you want with a runner in scoring position and two out? A walk to get to the pitcher and gets the top of the order up next inning, or a hit that gets that runner in.

Give me the latter.

Estrada will actually draw more walks, many intentional, hitting 8th as the difference between facing him and the pitcher is a lot more than facing Counsell and the pitcher.

But hitting 8th in the NL is not where you put a rookie in his debut.

kwelak21 has the right lineup. Braun should hit 7th ahead of Estrada.

I'll be gone for the weekend again, but this time there will be no fancy IGT's like usual.... Brian will start them instead. I'll have a new IGT for Tuesday's game. Out of all the weekends I am going to be out of town! Oh well, I hope Ryan shows the Pads what he is all about.

Here is the only thing I want to see from the lineup:

Graffy: bench

Counsell: bench

If I see that, I'll be happy. I don't think the specific order means as much as people make it out to be.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yes Yes. I am very excited that Not-Braun will be on the bench today, and Not-Not-Braun will be at third.

Wait, I think that means Braun is playing third tonight!?

Does Yost need a tissue after writing out:

Gwynn, Weeks, Hardy, Fielder, Hall, Jenkins, Braun, Estrada

?

I do.

Archived