Brewer Fanatic

5/25/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Padres (Maddux): 9:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

"If the Brewers had a fire sale on Bush at least half the teams in baseball would show interest because of his past success. "

And what success would that be?

His stellar numbers from 2007?

In 2006, he had a very nice WHIP, a so-so W/L record, 18 hit batsmen, .720 OPS-against, and a 4.41 ERA. Overall, decent, but not what can reasonably be called a "success."

Maybe it was that 1.26 WHIP, 5-11 mark, .782 OPS-against, and 4.50 ERA in 2005 in the majors, and the 4.42 ERA he turned in, in AAA in '05? Meh.

Let's look at his 2004 season at AAA...4.06 ERA Nope, nothing you'd call successful.

At the Double-A level and below, he tore it up. But then again, so did pretty much every other player eventually promoted to the bigs.

Boosh has had some nice walk rates, which suggests he COULD turn it around, and I'm not giving up on him. -But migod, whenever he gets torched again and again, it's the ump's fault, or his fielders, or it's bad luck.

He is what he is. A very average pitcher who was a throw-in in the Overbay deal. "At least half the teams in the majors" wouldn't exactly be lining up to work with Doug to trade us anything of value for this dude.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave Bush is not unlucky. If you don't walk many batters, that means you are around the plate a lot. If you are around the plate, it's more likely that when players do make contact, it's going to be very solid contact with the head of the bat, especially if you don't have dominating stuff as would describe him. Balls which are hit hard on a line obviously have a better chance of landing for a base hit than pop ups or softly hit grounders. It's not like random chance whether a ball lands in play or not. That's what BABIP is assuming. Furthermore, if you let teams string walks and hits together, they are going to be more apt to score runs, as opposed to the same amount of hits and walks being spread out. He has the propensity to the big inning, so his WHIP is always going to be deceptively low. It's gone on long enough to where it's a pattern. He might have a problem with adversity. Players should get credit for handling pressure well and discredited for not handling pressure well. It's part of the game of baseball and sports in general. I don't have a problem so much with peripheral stats, just how they are overly widely used, and misinterpreted. Dave Bush isn't unlucky.

He is what he is. A very average pitcher who was a throw-in in the Overbay deal. "At least half the teams in the majors" wouldn't exactly be lining up to work with Doug to trade us anything of value for this dude.

Geno, from the time the trade happened we knew he was the centerpiece that the Brewers were receiving. Gross was the throw-in

"Yeah because nobody would want a 4.50 ERA quality pitcher in major league baseball, not like half the teams or anything? I mean that seems like a silly post even for you Geno. "

Look at this thread for yourself, Ennder.

What's silly is making 8, 9, 10 posts, maybe more, I stopped counting... looking for fresh excuses for another terrible Bush performance. That pitch should have been called a strike, if only Hall makes that play, if Bush had better luck, bad scouting (!).

It's the fault of the umps, his fielders, the scouts, bad luck, blame Uecker...anyone but the guy throwing BP out there, and I'M the one with the silly posts? Please!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Well, it's been one game, and Braun is already out OPS-ing Counsellino, that's good, right?

Would have been nice to see the guys beat this one out, but that's a pretty tall order when you're down by 7.

Dave Bush is a lot better than his current 6.13 ERA would indicate. Not including tonight he has a 4.42 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and .262 BAA in 500.2 IP. At worst he is an average Major League starter, which would make him a very valuable commodity. I do believe that he will come around, the question, however, is whether or not the Brewers can wait for that to happen.

Verified Member

I saw most of the game on DVR just now. I do see signs of improvement although the final result continues to be disappointing. Weeks seems to be hitting the ball well lately and that is encouraging. It was also cool to see two RBI and an extra base hit out of the third base spot. Braun does have an awfully funny looking swing though. Whatever works I guess.

I do think the starting pitching needs to show more. They have been in a funk lately. Time to step it up.

It's just too bad this team is playing like crap against some of the better teams in the NL. I really pray we can pull off a miracle and win the next two. This team needs to show something now.

Community Moderator
As frustrating as the Brewers have been lately, I am still thankful I am not a Cubs' fan, as that loss was far worse than anything we have blown this year, even the Philly game.

i state again if the brewers would havehad a near 500 road trip we been running away with this sorry division.

it a little sicking that it seems to be ok that the brewers lose as long as the rest of the team chasing us lose .

maybe they should worry about winning because some team going to get hot and catch this team.

I agree. The goal is not to ONLY make it to the playoffs, but to win the World Series. The Brewers are not showing that capability yet. They had a great month against bad teams and are now struggling against teams that should be on par with us. (maybe they are better?) It's early but I don't want to hang my hat on how bad the division is.

Spent 4 hours watching the Brewers lose their 10th out of 14 and felt pretty good about it. Until the Cubs scored 7 but that worked out fine in the end. Down 7-0 to a Hall of Fame pitcher cruising through 5 and a team with a good bullpen in a pitcher's park and they made a game out of it. Weeks, Braun, Hardy, Fielder, Jenkins, Hall, Gwynn, pretty sweet lineup. Without Bell the Pads probably would have lost. Surprised not to see Hoffman in a save situation when he's rested but it was the right call.

I didn't have the best angle on inside/outside but it looked like Maddux got some help. He gets close pitches called balls as much as Jordan got called for traveling. In the first inning Bush didn't get a call for strike 3 and Gonzales then singled in a run; in the next inning or two Bush had one and Maddux had two in the same spot or maybe even a bit away called strikes. Bard clearly went around before the slam. But I thought the one Jenkins and Yost got tossed on was a strike all the way. And Rickie had a good day but he should have been hacking on the first pitch with Gross on 3d and one out. Great to see Braun's RBI and double, Fielder's bomb, JJ matching him, Gwynn working a walk when they needed baserunners, Wise looking good.

Still just a handful of Brewer fans. Nothing like the Cardinals or Cubs. One had Hardy's homerun ball - an older couple fished it out of the basket and he asked what they wanted for it since his daughter is a big Hardy fan and they gave it to him. Nice folks. Also a group from West Bend & Milwaukee with a "What can Braun do for you" and "Braun is the new Black" poster.

Too bad I have to see Vargas tomorrow. Brewers are 0-7 in Petco when I'm there and 3-0 when I'm not. Sundevil it looks like you'll be in 108, right? I'll be in 115.

Archived