Brewer Fanatic

How will this roster look after Yo, Cameron are back?

Yeah Gwynn to the DL would take care of the Cameron issue. And I would think Bush or McClung get sent down or traded to make room for Yo. Im not saying Kapler is an all-star but he has played damn well and you can't deny that and that is why I think he sticks around.

By the time Cameron comes back, it will be almost 3 weeks since Gwynn tweaked his hammy. He would be 100% by then, and they wouldn't waste him on the DL.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Bush, Villanueva and Parra each have a couple of starts left before Gallardo comes back. So, I think it could depend on how each performs. I don't see Bush going anywhere other than possible the bullpen, so it really comes down to how Villanueva and Parra pitch. If each of them continues to pitch well, then I think McClung gets waived. However, if they give the Brewers any reason to keep McClung, then I think one of them gets sent down to the minors.

With Cameron, I think it comes down to Gross or Dillon, unless Gwynn goes hit-less in a large number of at bats. Thus far, every visiting announcer I've listen to has given glowing reports about Kapler. Seems like he has an excellent reputation within baseball. Plus, Melvin really likes him, so I think he sticks for now. It seems like Dillon is the last man on the roster right now, but when Cameron comes back, Dillon gives the Brewers a second right handed bat off the bench. He also gives them another player who can play some in the infield, otherwise they will only have Counsel. However, they have a starting lineup of mostly right hand hitters that won't be pinch hit much for. So if I had to guess right now, I would say Dillon would probably be the odd man out.

Obviously a lot can happen in a couple weeks, but I would not be at all surprised to see the Brewers wave goodbye to Gabe Gross (ideallt via trade - though unlikley), so he can go somewhere he may actually get an opportunity to play. After 3-4 years or whatever its been, and looking at the depth chart, its pretty clear that is not going to happen for him here.

I could see Gross traded since he could probably start for a few lower end teams and be a great bench option but that's the only way he won't be on the ML roster at any point this season. Either Kapler or Gwynn would be the backup to Cameron, wouldn't need both.

However, it really seems like Gross isn't a favorite of Ned's.
I've thought this since early last year. The guy had basically an identical season to Hart in 2006, yet he couldn't find his way into lineup in 2007. Ned seems bent on keeping his value low. Oh well, he's a good player; I hope he ends up on a team that values his talent someday.

Thus far, every visiting announcer I've listen to has given glowing reports about Kapler. Seems like he has an excellent reputation within baseball. Plus, Melvin really likes him, so I think he sticks for now.
I have heard similar glowing reports about Kapler. He's like a great 5th OF'er, if there is such a thing. Sometimes it's better to have a good bench player on the bench than a talented guy who should be playing every day but is blocked by a starter. Kapler is a wonderful defensive player, can run a bit, and puts the ball in play. I'd rather have him on the bench in Milwaukee and Gwynn in AAA playing everyday trying to build some doubles power.

Depth will become critical as the year goes on. I'd probably send TGJ down to stay fresh, knowing we'll need him at some point this year. We're pretty deep in the OF. Maybe Gwynn, Gross & Dillon take turns to make sure they are all getting enough ABs...depending on their option situation.

The pitching issue is tougher. McClung is the odd man out with Bush the likely long man, but do they keep Parra fresh by sending him down until June? Maybe they can get some decent starts out of Bush for a while and keep Parra at AAA with a 80-90 pitch count. Evenutally they get an injury or Parra is just too good to keep down. Then again, maybe that's a luxury they don't have and they need to put their best 5 starters out there...Sheets, YoGo, Soup, Villy & Parra. Bush would be a very solid long man/spot starter.

Until McClung demonstrates some movement on his pitches, he becomes very hittable after that fastball slows down.

Somebody will have to double check this but I believe that Gabe Gross has one option remaining. The thing about Gabe Kapler that nobody is realizing is that he is something of an oddity in baseball. Infact the Brewers have the most former coaches in baseball history. Gabe Kapler gets a lot of the credit for the success of Ryan Braun's transition to the OF. He is like an extra coach out there. I got to sneak into the ballpark a little early on Saturday and who was out there doing outfield drills? Gabe Kapler and Ryan Braun.

As far as the pitching staff I am sick of waiting on Dave Bush to put it all together. He has had the reputation of having this great stuff and only having one bad inning a game. Well to me that is a problem because obviously that one inning is hurting the team as it doesn't seem he is winning a lot of games. He was topping out at 87-88 in Chicago and when your secondary pitches aren't dominate then that fastball is just not good enough. Seth McClung and Derrick Turnbow are obviously the last two options out there but they are used to the bullpen roll and would probably keep them out there because they both can throw hard.

My prediction is if Gabe Gross has options left he will be in Nashville along with Dave Bush.

Well to me that is a problem because obviously that one inning is hurting the team as it doesn't seem he is winning a lot of games.
Bush has led the team in victories in the last two seasons.

I say Kapler is gone since we already have too many righthanded outfielders and Gross and Gwynn provide lefthanded options off the bench. We need Dillion for infield depth. McClung should be gone unless the brewers want another project in the pen.

I thought I read in the thread about Yost on Rome's radio show yesterday that Yost said something about the three young arms in the starting rotation. He gave the answer without actually having to give an answer. I don't think there's any doubt that it's going to be Sheets, Suppan, Parra, Gallardo and Villanueva.

Well since McClung has to clear waivers and the Brewers can test the water I think he's the guy that he's moved. I still think McClung can be a quality pitcher in the big leagues, but at this point and time the Brewers just don't have roster space for a guy like that. I don't think McClung is going to have a ton of trade value based on what we gave up for him.

I also think Gross will be sent down or moved. I don't think McClung or Gross would pass waivers so they would most likely be on different teams, but that might be to their benefit.

Gross is out of options.

I wouldn't necessarily compare Gross to Hart. Corey is the younger guy with stronger minor league credentials.

And I wouldn't Gross' his current reserve status as an indicator as to how he might fit in upon a Cameron return. Doug and Ned were looking for defensive center fielders to replace Mike. Needs will change in a couple of weeks, and a solid lefty bat off the bench would seem to look pretty good.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I wouldn't necessarily compare Gross to Hart. Corey is the younger guy with stronger minor league credentials.
I knew someone would call me on that, but I was too lazy to explain myself better! No way would I argue Gross=Hart, or Gross deserved as much playing time as Hart in 2007. I's jus sayin in '06 they were similar.

Hart: 256PA; .283/.328/.468

Gross: 252PA; .274/.382/.476

Anytime a 26 year old lefty like Gross puts up numbers like that in his first full season it merits a longer look the following year. I realize 2007 was more a function of Gross being blocked by Jenkins and not wanting to bench Hall while he got used to CF. But not getting Gross more playing time in 2007 was one of a handful of wrongheaded decisions made that contributed to missing the playoffs.

OK, back to the topic.

From my skewed perspective, it seems like Gross thrives if he gets regular playing time, but sucks as a Pinch Hitter. Dillon, however, seems to be able to get by with irregular at bats. My guess is that it'll come down to left handed bat vs. effective pinch hitter and Dillon will win out. Kapler seems to have become (granted in only a few games) Yost's Counsell of the outfield.

I vote to wait until moves actually have to be made, then decide. These things usually work themselves out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

DFA McClung, Bush to the pen.

DFA Kapler or send Gwynn down, so he can play every day.

That's my thinking while leaning towards sending down Gwynn to get at bats. Once Cameron's 25 games are up, he'll play everyday, Gwynn won't be needed as a defensive replacement either.Little reason to have Tony just rot on the bench except for a pinch hit chance a few times a week.

For the Cameron move, Tony Jr. seems to be the safest bet. The team is short on left handed hitters but they don't need 6 outfielders. Hart, Cameron, Kapler, and even Gross are capable of playing all three outfield positions. Dougy and probably Nedly love the Gabe's too much to lose either the left handed ness for Gross or the grittiness/ post season experience for Kapler. Tony Jr. has options and fair or not he should be the choice. I think you must keep Joey Dillion on the big league squad. A) He's the bee's knees and B) he can back up 3rd , 1st, 2nd, LF and RF.

When/ if Tony goes down to Nashville I want to know who will play CF there? Is it Tony Jr. who is already a MLB ready defender in CF or will it stay the Hurricane? I'd vote for the Hurricane. He needs the experience. The brass need to know if he's worth being added to the 40 man next season and we already know he can play 2nd.

With Yo, I haven't a freaking clue. I'd hate to lose McClung. Do I think he's anything special? Not really, but what more are you looking for out of a long man? And he's got the added benefit of being able to pick up some meaningful innings sometimes. T-bow? No, can't let that chuckle head walk. When he's right, he's as good as it gets. Manny? If you can prove it will help him be available later in the season, then sure. But how can removing one of the most talented pitchers on your squad be the right move? Carlos V? I think he must stay in the rotation. The Crew needs to know what he can do every fifth day. Dave Bush? I can't pull the plug on him either. I still think he's alright every fifth day, maybe I've been crappy Brewer brain washed.

To some up, I'm an idiot. I don't want to lose anyone. I don't want to trade anyone either. I worry about depth later in the season. Help me Obi won Melvin, you're my only hope.

I vote to wait until moves actually have to be made, then decide. These things usually work themselves out.

I'm sorry, does anyone here actually have the power to make these decisions? Seems to me people are just talking about it in an all things being equal scenario. Of course the Brewers will make the decision when the time comes.

I think Bush is too valuable as a long man/spot starter to trade him when his value's low - as far as his minor league option goes, as soon as Milwaukee puts him on revocable waivers, half the MLB teams are probably going to claim him, so in order for the Brewers to keep him, they would have to keep him on the big league roster for the balance of the season. I'm fine with putting Bush in the pen and using him as the long man - he'd also be ideal to take a start or two from Parra or Villenueva during the course of the season to keep them fresh and keep their innings down. Having a pitcher in the pen with legit starting experience makes altering the rotation due to an injury much easier, too.

If Bush becomes the long man, then you have to try and trade McClung for something because he's not clearing waivers - you're not going to get decent value for him unless he's part of a larger package of players...that's where one of the backup outfielders could be included. Mr. Pena down in AAA may also play a significant role in the Brewer bullpen as the season wears on, and I have a feeling that Turnbow's name is also being discussed in possible trades.

Injuries/effectiveness may determine exactly how this all shakes out - at least it makes for an interesting discussion/debate right now, because there are so many directions the Brewers could go with their roster towards the end of April.

I'm willing to bet that they asked revocable waivers on McClung at the end of spring training, and he's on the team because someone claimed him. If so, they might be reluctant to expose him to other teams.

I'm also willing to bet that they had a deal with Kapler, more-or-less assuring him he would be on the roster for the first 25 days (assuming he did ok in ST etc.). He could play himself on the team after that.

I understand how money/options work into the mix, but I think it would be borderline masochistic for a team in the midst of a pennant race to send down arguably their 2nd or 3rd best pitcher because they are worried about losing someone like Seth McClung.
Yes, if Parra continues pitching well, it would be absolute lunacy to send him down just because he is the only guy that can be sent down and we don't want to give away Seth McClung.

It seems some here still think the future is more important than the present. The Brewers will/should do whatever they believe gives them the best chance of winning now. It seems pretty clear to me that this would be sending either Bush or Villanueva to the pen, this gives them a long reliever that can also step in and start in case of injury, doubleheaders, or to give Gallardo or Parra a rest from time to time. Given that, it seems likely that McClung is gone (or demoted) one way or another. The other possibility I can see is Turnbow being traded, if they can get something of value for him.

The way Turnbow, McClung, and Bush have pitched so far this season, I wouldn't be opposed to putting Bush in the pen, and trading/releasing/secluding/kidnapping McClung and Turnbow from the roster and then call up Pena from AAA. McClung and Turnbow are turning out to be the same power armed-yet bad relievers that their previous teams gave up on, and I think it's getting time for the Brewers to do the same.

I don't think there's a choice other than cutting McClung. I can't see the Brewers trading Turnbow before he's really gotten a chance to pitch this season. We don't know yet how the bullpen is going to pan out; we may need Turnbow to pitch some meaningful innings, which I know scares Brewer fans, but let's not pretend he is worthless.

Barring injury or something in the meantime, Bush should/will be removed from the rotation. The impact on the bullpen remains to be seen. Turnbow stunk on ice again last night and is looking more and more like he is becoming the odd man out as far as the bullpen is concerned. With the number of guys they have out there, I would not be surprised to see them ask him to take a minor league assignment or cut ties completely. It continues to look more likely, not less, that it just may not happen for him here.

Archived