Brewer Fanatic

How will this roster look after Yo, Cameron are back?

I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone here thinks would be the best options for the Brewers' roster once these two key players return -

my thoughts would be:

When Yo returns:

Move Bush into the pen for use as a long man/spot starter, trade either McClung or Turnbow (since neither has options, I believe) for the best available package of prospects/arms. Heck, trading both and calling up Pena from AAA would be a possibility, too. Trading Bush is also an option, but that would really take away all of the starting pitching "depth" the Brewers thought they had going into spring training this year. I also don't see any chance or need of a 13 man pitching staff, so at least one of the current pitchers on the roster won't be in Milwaukee on May 1st.

When Cameron returns:

Gwynn or Dillon could be optioned to AAA

There is also a scenario that could solve both roster questions at once - trade one of the backup OFs (Gwynn, Gross, Kapler) and one of the relievers out of options (Turnbow, Mota, McClung) to a team in need of outfield/bullpen help. It's a bit early to trade players, but there are already teams scrambling to shore up their rosters, and injuries are going to happen.

What keeps sticking in my head as I write this post is that the Brewers are off to a 6-1 start without their #2 starting pitcher and everyday center fielder - depth is a good problem to have!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only hope that Gywnn gets traded and not optioned so we don't have a thread everytime Cameron has an off day saying that Gwynn should be called up.

As for Yo, I'm torn. I don't think we can get much for McClung at this point and don't think it would be in our best interest to release him. A lot will depend on Bush's start tonight and possibly his next start after that. If pitches well, I think the Brewers will be forced to send Parra down to try to limit his innings. I he pitches poorly, I would think the Brewers will try everything they can to keep Parra in the rotation, even if it means cutting McClung.

I'm on board with when Yo comes back you trade Turnbow or McClung and move Bush to the pen. As for what to do when Cameron comes back that is much more tricky I would think it has to be Gwynn or Dillon going down. I thought for sure Kapler would be gone, but he is playing way to well to drop him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't. I think they're giving him rest. There's no point in putting him out there cold and running the risk of aggravating the muscle. It's a strained muscle. There's nothing you can do for it but give it rest. If that game had gone on further and we needed him, I think we could have seen Tony last night. I couldn't find him on the bench in the extra innings - I think they already had him out in the hall warming up, just in case. All we needed was the bunt, so there's no point in risking Tony at that point.

Confucius Say:

He who will not economize will have to agonize.

The cautious seldom err.

And one for TGJ lovers http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Confucius Say, Study the past if you would define the future.

I'd imagine that a Gwynn/Turnbow, Gwynn/Mcclung, yada yada yada package could get something decent later in the year. I wouldn't press to get rid of anyone just now, unless Detroit gets crazy about its crappy start and is willing to do something stupid for Turnbow. Let the market heat up while a few guys head to Nashville.

It's tough to predict. I used to think they'd just dump Kapler but now I don't think so. This is what I think will happen. They will try to keep Dillon and Gwynn sharp by rotating them every 3 weeks or so between Nashville and Milwaukee. I'm not sure who goes down first, but whoever does, it will be just temporary.

As for Gallardo, I don't think it's an accident that Gallardo is starting at Nashville on the same day Bush is starting in Milwaukee. Unless Parra struggles his next 2 starts, I think they are commited to him in the rotation. The move will be either waive McClung, hope he clears and assign him to Nashville, trade Turnbow, or option Bush. If either of the first 2 happens, Bush goes to pen. Of course if Parra does struggle while Bush shines, Parra will be optioned for the time being.

it seems to me that they have Gross as the 5th OF right now and I would expect him to be the one to go to make room for Cameron. Until Gywnn got hurt, Gross was the odd guy out eith Kapler and Gywnn doing the platoon thing - and Gross's slow start isnt helping his case.

I agree with the trying to get McClung thru waivers and send him to Nashville. It would be hard to get rid of Turnbow with Gagne struggling out of the box, imo...

I understand how money/options work into the mix, but I think it would be borderline masochistic for a team in the midst of a pennant race to send down arguably their 2nd or 3rd best pitcher because they are worried about losing someone like Seth McClung.

Sure, McClung can hit triple digits, but he is simply not a major league caliber pitcher. It would be one thing if he was 21, but I am willing to go out on a limb and fortell that those waiting for McClung to shake free the bonds of his 6+ ERA chrysalis and emerge a dominant reliever/butterfly are going to be sorely disappointed.

McClung is not good. The end.

As for Cameron's triumphant return--I say cut Kapler. One week does not an all-star make. By the time Cameron is set to return, Kapler will once again be a pumpkin.

(apparently a lack of sleep brings out the cheezy methapors in me)

Quick question -- if the Brewers wanted to send McClung down I know he's out of options, but can they test the waters and if he does get claimed they can keep him the bigs? Or is it once he's optioned to Nashville the Brewers have to sit and hope he doesn't get claimed?

Outright waivers (the kind McClung would need) are irrevocable. Seth also may have the right to refuse an assignment.

Because of the amount of time he's been in the big leagues, Bush would have to pass through waivers to be optioned. Those waivers can be revoked, however.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What keeps sticking in my head as I write this post is that the Brewers are off to a 6-1 start without their #2 starting pitcher and everyday center fielder - depth is a good problem to have!

I was thinking this as well re: the Cameron suspension. It's almost1/3 over already, and the team isn't exactly suffering.

This is tough because the team doesn't have a lot of LH bats. Still, I'd send Gwynn down to play CF everyday. If he hits at all, then next year they don't keep Cameron and they give Tony the bulk of the playing in CF.

It's pretty clear Bush will go to the pen, imho. They might consider sending Dillon down instead of McClung. Seth will almost certainly be claimed by another team.

Yeah Gwynn to the DL would take care of the Cameron issue. And I would think Bush or McClung get sent down or traded to make room for Yo. Im not saying Kapler is an all-star but he has played damn well and you can't deny that and that is why I think he sticks around.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd still drop Kapler--not sure why people think at 32 he is suddenly good because he had a hot week. Mench hit like .450 his first week last year too
His numbers aren't what is impressive. His approach at the plate is refreshing.

Yost is always preaching "quality at bats". I don't think anyone on the team is better than Dillon and Kapler at putting a quality at bat together. (Well, maybe Kendall)

Gwynn seems the logical choice to send down. (Get regular playing time. And as a pitch hitter, he is pretty similar to Counsell.) However, it really seems like Gross isn't a favorite of Ned's.

I don't see the point of sending Parra down. I don't want to have him wasting innings in AAA. I would rather have him go to long man if we decide to limit his innings.

Yeah Gwynn to the DL would take care of the Cameron issue.
That is a non-issue.

If they were going to put Gwynn on the DL, they would have already. From everything Tom H. has written and Ned and Tony have said - he should be ready in a few days.

Yes the ole Brewer day to day injury that lasts two months

The fact that Kapler has had some good ABs in a week doesn't mean he is suddenly good either. The guy had two decent years in Arlington back in 2000 and 2001. Right at the height of the 2nd 90s power surge.

Archived