Brewer Fanatic

My Coffeemaker died...GRRRR (Advice)

craigharmann
So I have this programmable Mr. Coffee coffeemaker and I finished my last cup from yesterday, grind my coffee beans, put the water in, turn it on....and nothing happens. Not only am I quite grouchy because I haven't had my usual gallon of coffee, I've had the stupid coffeemaker for about 3 months. I've resorted to freeze-dried Tasters' Choice. Yuck. Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on a good, inexpensive (under $50) coffeemaker? Thank you.

Dear Mr. Yost.....

Just kidding...

I really don't have much to add -- but my wife is a coffee snob, and she wanted one of those "one cup at a time" makers, where you buy "pods" (at probably $50 per pound) and make one cup of coffee at a time -- We bought her one for Xmas only to learn that those things are the Nick Neugebauers of coffee machines -- avoid getting one of them.

I recommend a French Press. It's very easy. It doesn't break. The coffee is less bitter. And, it's cheap.

We've been using that for the last couple of years and wouldn't go back to an electronic machine.

I recommend a French Press. It's very easy. It doesn't break. The coffee is less bitter. And, it's cheap.

We've been using that for the last couple of years and wouldn't go back to an electronic machine.

My wife has one....it's OK....I might try it in the meantime.

A French press is great, but if you like more than a couple cups of joe, it's not the answer. I've got a Cuisinart grind 'n brew with a thermal carafe. I like the fact that it grinds the coffee for me and the thermal carafe, but that's about it. The grinding bucket (or whatever it may be called) is a bit small imo. Also, when the coffee is brewed some steam gets into the grinding bucket meaning that you've got to wash it out almost daily to keep sludge from building up. If I had the purchase to do over again I'd buy a good burr grinder and a high quality drip coffee maker that has a cone copper filter or that takes cone paper filters.

i don't usually drink coffee at home, but had some whole beans. someone was over and wanted some. so i wrapped the beans in a dish towel, smashed them with a frying pan, and steeped the towel in hot water. yeah, that tends to be the hard way about things. i've been no help.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a lot simpler, and less chance of breakage.

I got a free coffee maker from Gevalia a few years ago when I ordered a trial of some of their coffees. It worked like a charm until I quit drinking coffee about a year ago. Probably still works.

Archived