Brewer Fanatic

5/27/07 Brewers (Suppan) @ Padres (Peavy):3:05 CDT

AJAY
Quote:
Are there any fans here than actually talk baseball? Or is this a site for simply explaining flaws and mistakes? But all will be well with a couple wins. Pretty bad.

Brewers77 - Please refer us to a post you have made in the last month in which you talked baseball without taking a swipe at someone on this board.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

And the bandwagon bus goes up and down, up and down. Are there any fans here than actually talk baseball? Or is this a site for simply explaining flaws and mistakes? But all will be well with a couple wins. Pretty bad.

Are you actually capable of making a post without talking down to everyone else?

You've already been warned in this thread. Knock it off, or you're gone.

EDIT: Nevermind that last part.

Considering how bad the Brewers have been lately, it's hard to believe they'll, at worst, still have a 4 game lead in the Central. The Brewers played well above their abilities to start the season and now they've played below their abilities as of late. I'm still confident that if they play at their abilities for the rest of the year, they'll have a good shot at the division.

rluzinski - I think you're right. The team's ability is somewhere in between the start we saw and these last 16 games. I think there would have been slight agreement starting the season that they were a 83-87 win team and that it would probably be enough to contend for the Central.

The start really teased us into 100-win scenarios, when in fact they're not that good (even just the youth should highlight that 100 wins is probably just not going to happen).

And now this stretch of 16 games will tend to make people think they're as bad as many of the past 25 years. But the reality is there's too much talent on this team (even if they're young) to really stink things up the whole year (ala 70 wins or something).

Things will even out (hopefully) and we'll hang on to win the central (even with 85 wins) and then take our chances in the playoffs.

The real point is to continue being patient. We've all been patient for 25 years, but if we can hold on to these young players, we should REALLY be good over the next few years as they mature. In the meantime, enjoy baseball for baseball and try to keep things on an even keep emotionally (which I know personally is tough with the last two weeks!).

Swept for the first time this year on the eve of Memorial Day. At least it was at the hands of a playoff-caliber team.

Let's get back home and take a series from the Braves, who just spent the weekend getting whooped by Philly.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well 10 in a row at MP. I think we can win at least 6 if not more of those games. Well first time all year we are swept. Gotta like the way Braun played in his first big league series. Sure he was 0-3 today, but against the best in the NL right now. Looking forward to him getting hot at MP.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

What a day. What a series. What a week. What a fortnight.

If Yost doesn't finish this season with a winning record, www.geocities.com/chicago...hegone.wav .....indeed.

In addition to managing being just based on results, or lack thereof, and the need for scapegoats; we just aren't doing the little things, which I think can be fairly attributed to the manager. For example, Hardy swings at the first pitch, which was at his ankles, down multiple runs in the 9th. That's a microcosm of the lack of situational hitting we've exhibited nearly this entire stint. Estrada can't take a 1st pitch down late, neither can Mench. Hall can't hit worth a crap with RISP, and that's his job as a cleanup hitter. Weeks can't make solid contact with the game on the line, last night, following doing so in every other at bat, and that's something which goes back to the minors with him. Certainly the bad approach at the plate down late is something that Yost should instill in his players not to employ. A major league team should be able to move runners over, and in, more often than not. It's all or nothing homers right now. And I think that can somewhat be blamed on Yost. Also, the defensive shifts are a little ridiculous. Players may have a pattern of pulling the baseball, but let's not just assume that nobody has control over where they direct the baseball. As Tony Gwynn noted, he would have eaten up those shifts in his day, clearly a reference to the strategy particularly employed by Yost. Pitching wise, he's got to stop wasting Villanueva is fairly meaningless situations. Throughout the year, those are the situations where he has fared the worst, and it's because he's better than that. The guy should be in the rotation, not pitching in mop up duty. Doug needs to make some drastic changes. Trade Mench for a reliever already. Make a decision with Capellan already. I'm an advocate of Yo to the bullpen, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a couple starts to jump start the big club, taking Sheet's place if he's injured, and then we can put him in the bullpen later. Consider trading Bush. Let's go. I for one am not satisfied with backing into the playoffs. It's a hollow win to succeed because your fellow division mates are weak. Especially if we aren't set up to do anything once we get into the playoffs. Saying all this, I'm optimistic about the Braves at home. Home sweet home.

Archived