Brewer Fanatic

Wii Owners - I Need Help Getting Psyched About This

Ando Calrissian

Over the years I've been a recreational video game player. I've owned Nintendo, Genesis, XBox and will play from time to time. My birthday was on Monday and I received a Wii as a surprise gift. I certainly was surprised as I didn't ask for it and really have been playing video games less and less. None-the-less, it was a very nice, thoughtful gift from my wife and my in-laws. Can you guys (or gals) help me get jacked up about this? From what I've read around, it seems pretty cool, but still, I'm not exuberant about this like I know they want me to be. Please help me feel some Wii joy.

Thanks.

The easiest way to get psyched about owning a Wii is to bust out Wii sports and play against your significant other (and kids, if you have them). There are a number of people who own a Wii just for that game (my parents would be in that group....if they could find one on store shelves). Personally, I'm partial to the bowling portion of Wii Sports, but I appreciate the tennis, golf, and baseball mini-games as well. (I'd need rotator cuff surgery if I played the Wii Sports baseball game regularly....pitching with constant velocity is hard.)

Personally, I'd also recommend Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy to any Wii owner.

(Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn are also worth the playthrough, but you have to be interested in those types of games to really enjoy them.)

Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl will make the Wii your favorite system. Those two games are just godly.

Although for Super Smash, I would suggest getting a Wii "classic" controller. They attach to the Wii remote from a little cord and they look like the old Super Nintendo controllers. Brawl is amazing on those controllers.

3TO Apostle

Had mine for a little over a month, and Galaxy is the only game I deliberately purchased...my daughter loves it, although I think it's a tad easier than Super Mario 64. That said, Wii Play and Wii Sports are tremendous fun. I honestly don't know when I'll buy another game, simply because those three will hold my interest for quite some time. Pick up the remotes and play. You'll get into it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I dunno. I got Wii at launch and had a lot of fun with it for awhile. I bought a bunch of virtual console games and stuff.

I don't think I've played Wii for months now though. I've got a bunch of games that I have that I've never even unwrapped, including Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. I haven't purchased a virtual console game in almost a year.

It seems like the criticisms of the Wii lacking staying power may be accurate. I just haven't got absorbed by it like I have with systems in the past. The one recent exception was Guitar Hero III, which I wholeheartedly recommend, but I haven't played that in months either.

All that said, it's still worth being excited about when you first get it. Wii Sports is tremendous and Madden is more fun for the Wii than it is for other systems, at least imo.

Brawl is really cool. Picked it up a few days ago and love it....or I think I would. My kids have not stopped playing.

Galaxy is great, as previously mentioned. It was my favorite until the Brawl game was released.

Super Mario Kart comes out in a couple of weeks....it looks awfully cool....comes with a steering wheel for the Wii.

I play my 360 a lot more than my wii. The excitement of the wii controls wore off quickly, after I realized how inaccurate they really were. Wii Sports and Super Paper Mario are the only two games I really got into so far. Smash Brothers just seems like a generic fighter game with bad graphics. Galaxy hasn't grabbed me yet but it seems pretty cool, so I feel like I should like it more. I'll certainly be giving it a second chance soon.

The novelty of the Wii has worn off on me as well. The thing about it is, though, is that I hesitate it to lump it in with the 360 and the PS3 as a traditional console. Where it really shines, is pulling in people who wouldn't ordinarily game. It's always the biggest hit when for example we have a party at work.

When I first started Super Mario Galaxy, I wasn't all that enthused about it, but soon got hooked. The whole controlling Mario who is running upside down on a planet to a bit to get used to.

Otherwise, I enjoyed Madden 08, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (didn't take to long to conquer, haven't played since, but is good for parties)

Is Brawl like a Mortal Kombat-type game? Or is there more to it than little matches vs. other characters?

Is Brawl like a Mortal Kombat-type game? Or is there more to it than little matches vs. other characters?

In simplest terms, Brawl could be lumped into a category with other fighting games, like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter.

It's not a fair comparison, to me at least, because Brawl allows for 4 players at a time, and game mechanics that are more simplistic than your typical 'traditional' fighting game. Street Fighter has 3 punch buttons and 3 kick buttons; Smash Bros. has 1 button for basic melee attacks, and a second button for special attacks (which are different for each character, but are triggered by pressing the 'b' button by itself, or while pressing the left analog stick in one of the four primary directions).

Brawl is generally considered to be easily accessible to new players. It also benefits greatly from the presence of 20+ years of Nintendo IP. The game is heavy into nostalgia, represented in characters, stages, and other collectables which date back all the way to the Game and Watch handhelds which pre-date the NES. The game also has a single-player mode....but most of the fun of the game comes from having real world opponents.

Well, if anyone wants a basically brand new brawl, the can buy it off me for $30. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, so I really don't care if I can play as Link or Metroid.

If you don't mind waiting for payment till this Friday when I get paid I'll buy it off you Russ.

That's fine. Email me at rluzinski at hotmail dot com and we'll figure out how to do the exchange (Green Bay to Minneapolis = mail I assume).

Provisional Member
Just got Wii Party - shuffleboard, beer pong, pop a shot, skiball, darts and trivia. Not too complicated but fun. Had a group over for Masters/Brewers Sunday and after Tiger lost everybody got really into the games. Wish I had more controllers....

Archived