Brewer Fanatic

The Johnny Cueto Thread

brewtown82
If I was Josh Fogg, I would petition Reds' management to put him behind another pitcher in the rotation, or at least not pitch in a series right after the opponent faces Cueto - regardless of how effective Cueto is, Fogg's stuff will look like batting practice when he pitches right after him against the same team.

Hello Brewers fans! A Reds fan aboard. Cueto is the real deal. Command throughout the minors, sick stuff, level headed beyond his years. But you're right, he's young and will certainly have his down nights.

As a Reds fan, I'm actually wanting to see how he handles that. It will tell me more about the kid than when pitching well. This should be a fun series against the team I see as the Reds main rival for the next few years. This should be a real test for Cueto. The Brew Crew has a much tougher lineup than Arizona, imo. I'm only looking for 2 of 3 because we're in your park and even as a Reds fan I don't see ANY hope tomorrow night when Fogg pitches. Hope you don't mind me dropping in to say hi - even though I 'm rooting the other way.

Of course, if it helps I loathe the Cubs!

Brewers are not that strong of a lineup against right handed pitching. However the team home/road splits have been pretty favorable for Miller park lately so I think it is mostly on the road vs righties that we stink it up.

Brewers are not that strong of a lineup against right handed pitching. However the team home/road splits have been pretty favorable for Miller park lately so I think it is mostly on the road vs righties that we stink it up.

For the Reds it's lefties who kill em. Serious deficiency of RH hitting. Reds biggest weakness.

For the Reds it's lefties who kill em. Serious deficiency of RH hitting. Reds biggest weakness.

Dang. I wish Parra was going in this series then. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I hope we silence him early and often though, lets welcome him to MLB the right way by putting up a snowman in the first inning.

Why be so pessimistic?

I remember when we closed County and Openned Miller. We semed to be developing a rivalry with the Reds. It looks like we may rekindle those feelings, but with a pennant chase included. I look forward to battling with the Reds. I won't feel such a stab to the heart if we loose the division to Cinncy.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I hope we silence him early and often though, lets welcome him to MLB the right way by putting up a snowman in the first inning.

Why be so pessimistic?

I remember when we closed County and Openned Miller. We semed to be developing a rivalry with the Reds. It looks like we may rekindle those feelings, but with a pennant chase included. I look forward to battling with the Reds. I won't feel such a stab to the heart if we loose the division to Cinncy.

Actually, Reds fans pretty much feel the same about he Brewers. If it can't be us then much rather the Brew Crew than the Cubs, Cards or Astros.

Well - now the game is done (nice start by Suppan btw) what do you think of our young Mr. Cueto? Very much looks like a ML pitcher, no? Except for Bill Hall, the all-time consummate Reds killing machine (I hate that guy! Please trade him to us). Second observation. When did the Crew start flashing leather like that? Some nice plays - don't your guys read the paper? They aren't supposed to field like that. Oh well, there's always tomorow night. Here's to the forlorn hope that Josh Fogg pulls a Suppan on you.

what do you think of our young Mr. Cueto?

Studly. I would take him over Bailey anyday of the week. I argued on a couple of other boards that Cueto was a stud, some thought that the Brewers were going to hit him hard because nobody had a scouting report on him and the D'Backs offense isn't as good as ours. I didn't believe it. Not only does he have great stuff but he keeps the ball down and has incredible control.

When did the Crew start flashing leather like that?
I don't know if that's a one game thing but that was the first time it happened, honest.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I didn't get to watch the game, but after seeing the highlights...man, Cueto is good, good, good. His fastball seemed straighter than I thought it would be, but he keeps it down and hits the corners with it, so it's very effective. Combined with his nasty breakers and change-ups, he should be tough to hit for a long time. I hate that he's not on the Brewers, but it will be fun to watch him pitch.

Cueto is the real deal. Hard, low, accurate pitches--both fastball and slider. He can't keep up the strike/walk ratio but there's no way this guy doesn't become a force if after the hitters adjust he makes further adjustments latter in the season.

Right now, if you're a righty you've got to crowd the plate and make him come inside. With the way he so violently falls off the mound he's gonna leave some of those pitches on the fat part of the plate. Secondly, you've got to crowd the plate in order to foul off those nasty on the black sliders--man, oh, man those are pure filth.

One thing that really frustrated me last night was how many non-strike strikes he gets. Because he's so consistently around the plate he intimidates the umps who just find it too easy to ring a guy up. Hence we got guys like Hart and Braun who swing at pitches that are 6 to 8 inches off the plate.

He looked good but let's not hand him the Cy Young award just yet. The Brewers have 3 pretty good young pitchers too.

I can understand the Reds fans excitement though. How many guys have they plugged into their rotation over the past 5-6 years that have been just awful? It goes to show that it never pays to take another teams futility as a given. Things change year to year, month to month. That's why I'm so pleased the Brewers didn't stay with the status quo in their rotation.

Archived