Brewer Fanatic

The Johnny Cueto Thread

brewtown82
So anyone else as pumped as I am to see Cincinnati's future ace tonight? I almost bought a ticket to the game tonight, then realized I'd rather watch up close on TV than from the Upper Deck. This guy seems like he could be the real deal. I hope the crew can silence him tonight though.

I am really excited for tonights game to see what Cueto can do. I hope we silence him early and often though, lets welcome him to MLB the right way by putting up a snowman in the first inning. I'm not looking forward to seeing him for the next 5-6 years if he turns out to be the real deal.

I know the guy is a "stud" prospect who is coming to his own, but it's been ONE start. Usually on this board I can avoid the over-blown national media, but apparently not with this guy. Anybody remember Zach Duke?

I know the guy is a "stud" prospect who is coming to his own, but it's been ONE start. Usually on this board I can avoid the over-blown national media, but apparently not with this guy. Anybody remember Zach Duke?

Duke was a soft-tosser that the league caught up to. Cueto's got a decent fastball (95 mph) with great movement and a deceptive delivery. I think he's going to be a #2-#3-type starter for quite a while. You never know, though.

Duke was a soft-tosser that the league caught up to. Cueto's got a decent fastball (95 mph) with great movement and a deceptive delivery. I think he's going to be a #2-#3-type starter for quite a while. You never know, though.

Wasn't a comparison of "stuff" but rather one of how a guy everybody was tripping over themselves for, can't even land a steady job.

I hope you weren't referring to me. I just like good pitching matchups. I'm not some puppet for the national media.

No. But I do remember a debate about whether we should trade Fielder for Duke. I think it was close, but BF.net chose to keep Fielder. I also seem to remember a similar discussion on a Pirates message board. I believe they said they wouldnt trade Duke for Fielder.

Count me in as someone who hasn't bought into the Cueto hype yet. Do I think he will end up being a solid, or even a very good pitcher? Sure, why not? However, I think the Brewers could pretty easily knock him around tonight. He's pretty young, after all. I will be at the game tonight, so that's what I'm hoping for. My one worry is that the off day yesterday might have "cooled" the Brewers' bats a bit. Hopefully that is not the case.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I hope you weren't referring to me. I just like good pitching matchups. I'm not some puppet for the national media.

Absolutely not referring to anyone in particular. I just didn't think a thread like this would pop up on Bf.net. And don't get me wrong, I can see the kid being a pretty good pitcher going forward, but it's been one start. One.

All I have to say is, if the Brewers don't practice plate discipline tonight, it's going to be a very long game for Brewer fans. Please make this guy throw strikes before you starting swinging at everything.

Cueto throws a ton of strikes, I think the crew will have to attack him more than the patient approach or he'll be ahead of them all night.

What a nasty rotation the Reds have put together in just a couple of years.

Cueto, Bailey, Volquez eventually teaming up with Harang and Arroyo. I know it's still early but if those 3 guys pan out in the next year or so, Cincy will be a nightmare to play.

With our lineup and their pitching I think these two teams are gonna become pretty big rivals in the next few seasons.

Good stuff is good stuff. Of course it's important if he can duplicate it, but you can't fake that kind of movement. Liriano, mentioned above, was unhittable and it was injury, not hype, that doomed him. This kid is the real deal. And I'll be more than happy for the Brewers to give me my comeuppance, since you know they had a whole day off for locker room chatter about the Next Big Thing.

The thing about Cueto is, he obviously has good stuff, but he also benefits from being so new, most of these hitters have never seen him.

At some point, hitters will adjust to him, and he may prove to be above average, but I think he'll have a great run early in this season.

Here is hoping that Johnny Cueto = Chris Saenz. Awesome debut and never to be heard from again. Totally different circumstances but you get my drift.

My guess is 6 innings, 3 runs, 6 hits, 7 K's 2 walks.

All in all not bad.

But Soup is going to throw a perfect game so it really won't matter

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The difference between a Cueto and a Duke is that Cueto put up elite peripherals in the minors and Duke simply did not. Most of these had half a good year then tanked guys were very easy to spot if you just looked at their minor league stats. Cueto is the real deal, I like him more than Volquez or Bailey. I still think we can get to him tonight though since we hit so well at home.

Archived