Brewer Fanatic

The Ben Sheets appreciation thread

ELCABALLO45

Ok I think we need one of these. If Ben Sheets does leave us at the end of the year, I will be really sadden. When Ben Sheets is healthy there is no doubt he is a ELITE pitcher in baseball.

Thats not the only reason I love Ben however, he also is funny and is really well respected in the clubhouse and in the community.

He is a 3 time allstar and in 2004 if he had ANY run support, would have a Cy Young award in his mantle. I really wish he would of stayed healthy every year in Milwaukee it would be amazing what he could of done. I have a feeling he will have a "special" year this year. I hope its not his last, but it could be.

So please share your favorite Ben Sheets moment, and why you love him so much.

http://gurtis.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/images/6270_large.jpg

His whole 2004 season was amazing. I looked forward to watching him pitch every 5 days that year and I always have loved watching him pitch. My younger brother was at his 18 K game back in 2004 and I watched it on TV in awe.

I went to a game he pitched in 2005 against the Yankees, it kind of sucked because I was in the club level but couldn't eat anything good because I just had my tonsils taken out.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif The game was pretty awesome though. He went 7 innings and gave up no runs and only two hits. Turnbow came in and got the save (Jenkins recording the final out in the right field corner against Jeter.)

His game against the Angels was one of the best performances I've seen.

There are so many awesome moments. I could go on and on. It really is amazing how someone with his stuff has such great control. His 2004 season will be in my memory for a long time. It's just such a shame that he got no run support that year.

I love Benny, mostly for stuff like this:

Sheets ready to return, to face Houston tonight

http://www.signonsandiego.com/images/black.gif

ASSOCIATED PRESS

May 28, 2005

MILWAUKEE - Ben Sheets donned a New Orleans Saints football helmet when pitchers' batting practice started last night.

I still remember the ovation he got back at County stadium. At the time it seemed like it was the greatest moment of his life to him.

I remember back in 2005 there was a big autograph signing at Mayfair mall. Hall, Yost, Sheets, and a couple others were there. I got in line to get his auto, and when my turn was up, I asked him, "So Ben, are you going to win a Cy Young this year?" His reply was, "You're damn right I am, one for each league because I'm so %%@*@*@ good!" Keep in mind, there were kids around and everything, but my god, it gave me quite a chuckle!

He is my favorite player, and probably always will be. Forgot about the censorship. He dropped the F-bomb if your wondering!

I always get a kick out of his interviews. When asked about Hurricane Katrina he responded something along the lines of, "I ain't afraid of no ternader!" He plays dumb in his interviews leading a lot of people to believe he is dumb. I can appreciate it, since I have the same sense of humor.

Watching his first strikeout against the Giants on Sunday, I knew it was going to be a special game for him. Watching the way he pumped his fist, and then the strike zone. It was a treat.

I still remember the ovation he got back at County stadium. At the time it seemed like it was the greatest moment of his life to him.

I remember back in 2005 there was a big autograph signing at Mayfair mall. Hall, Yost, Sheets, and a couple others were there. I got in line to get his auto, and when my turn was up, I asked him, "So Ben, are you going to win a Cy Young this year?" His reply was, "You're damn right I am, one for each league because I'm so %%@*@*@ good!" Keep in mind, there were kids around and everything, but my god, it gave me quite a chuckle!

He is my favorite player, and probably always will be. Forgot about the censorship. He dropped the F-bomb if your wondering!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

so many great memories with ben on and off the field. I can't pick one I just can't.

hate to be a downer but my worst memory of sheets is easy. I was at the game when tore that muscle in his back (or shoulder or whatever) against the braves. It was turn back the clock night. He was just dealing and had two strikes on chipper jones (i believe). The pitch was really poor and at first I was confused then I saw ben holding his arm. Miller Park went silent and I yelled out NOOOOO! Brewers ended up winning but I was the worst win I've ever been to.

I think he's finally all the way back though and have high hopes. Hopefully the brewers can find some way to keep him.

hate to be a downer but my worst memory of sheets is easy. I was at the game when tore that muscle in his back (or shoulder or whatever) against the braves. It

was turn back the clock night. He was just dealing and had two strikes on chipper jones (i believe). The pitch was really poor and at first I was confused then

I saw ben holding his arm. Miller Park went silent and I yelled out NOOOOO! Brewers ended up winning but I was the worst win I've ever been to.

I was there for this game. I must have had one to many hot dogs or something because it went right through me and I had to run to mens room ASAP. Ben's injury happened while on the throne. They had the radio broadcast going in the restroom and that's how I got the news. I have refused to drop a deuce in Miller Park ever since.

Sunday was my first Ben Sheets game and what a treat! We had good seats from which to watch pitch location and movement. Around the sixth inning, I mentioned that I hadn't seen him really miss his location yet. I think in the next inning he spiked that curve into the dirt about 4 feet in front of the plate.

Ben's been one of my favorite players since he came into the league. I threw a big looping curve in high school so I enjoy/appreciate watching his stuff. His attitude is great, he seems to understand that baseball is just a game even while being a fierce competitor. He doesn't take himself too seriously.

All hail Benny! 19 wins this year!

Yeah I have to agree his 2004 season was quite amazing and had he gotten run support and won at least 15 or 16 games if not more he probably would have won the Cy Young that season. The 18 K day against Atlanta was pretty special as was the Angels game and his appearance with his gold medal at the last County Stadium game. Just a lot of other great moments. Man I hope we can re-sign him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

My favorite was his responce to the trade for Carlos Lee. Something along the lines of "Well, it will be really good to finally have someone hitting behind me for protection."

I love being at all of his games. Not only does he deal and make the other team look silly, he doesn't waste time. He just gets the ball and smokes it right back.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

According to BP, Sheets "would have" won 19 games in 2004 with average run support. But instead of recognozing how great of a season he had, some fans used his terrible run support as justification for labeling him, "not a winner." Yes, I'm still bitter. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sheets is a gifted athlete who's found a way to dazzle with two pitches (that's not very common , from what I've noticed). He's also always good for a funny sound bite. I'll take that over cliche riddled interviews, anyday.

Ya, I think my favorite part of watching Sheets is how quick he pitches (and the fact that he can be down right dominate helps). I also agree as well with rluz about still being bitter with people who say or said he isnt a winner. That is crazy to me.

My favorite part of Sheets as a player is that he just seems to have fun. His interviews are great, and he seems pretty laid back. I would love to see him stay in Milwaukee. Sheets, Yo, Parra, and Villy could be down right sick for the next couple years. Obviously other threads have talked about all the other people who need to be locked up but in a perfect world it would nice to keep him.

My favorite moment(s) is whenever he talks about himself as a hitter. I saw him on Cold Pizza (bad show) and he spent most of the time talking about himself as a hitter. It was hilarious

My favorite Ben Sheets moment came when I interned with the Brewers in the spring of 2004. I was in charge of getting this table ready in the Brewers clubhouse for a pre-game ceremony where Scott Podsednik was going to be getting a bunch of most-outstanding rookie awards from MLB.com, Sporting News and a couple other ones if I remember right. I had to take the trophies out of the boxes and assemble them and arrange them on the table. They were pretty nice trophies and as I finished arranging them, Ben Sheets was unknowingly standing behind me in his underwear with this silly grin on his face. He said something to the effect of, "Man those trophies are frickin' (edited for readability) nice. I gotta get me some like that. Do you think Scotty will notice if I take one?"

He then proceeded to take one of the trophies made out of fine crystal and put it in his locker before laughing and bringing it back to me. I told him that hopefully he would have a Cy Young award to put on his mantle soon and all he said was "Damn straight!" and rubbed me on the head.

That is a moment I will never forget.

My favorite Ben Sheets moment came when I interned with the Brewers in the spring of 2004. I was in charge of getting this table ready in the Brewers clubhouse for a pre-game ceremony where Scott Podsednik was going to be getting a bunch of most-outstanding rookie awards from MLB.com, Sporting News and a couple other ones if I remember right. I had to take the trophies out of the boxes and assemble them and arrange them on the table. They were pretty nice trophies and as I finished arranging them, Ben Sheets was unknowingly standing behind me in his underwear with this silly grin on his face. He said something to the effect of, "Man those trophies are frickin' (edited for readability) nice. I gotta get me some like that. Do you think Scotty will notice if I take one?"

He then proceeded to take one of the trophies made out of fine crystal and put it in his locker before laughing and bringing it back to me. I told him that hopefully he would have a Cy Young award to put on his mantle soon and all he said was "Damn straight!" and rubbed me on the head.

That is a moment I will never forget.

Dude, awesome story. Thanks for sharing that.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think Sunday was my "perfect baseball day." The weather was beautiful, the tailgating was fun, there was an All-fan and Benny was on his mark. That game was just plain fun. You'd never look at a 7-0 box score and think so, but between Ben's performance and the way the runs were spread out and the defense. Seriously, a perfect day.

I remember watching that cold pizza interview after school one day and laughing out loud about 5 different times. "Well that was in Coors Field which is a really tough park to hit in, the sun's in your eyes and the air is really thick." What I'm going to miss the most is definately the soundbites he provides. He's got that fake "aw shucks" thing going on that Brett used to do back in the day.

Archived