Brewer Fanatic

Am I an idiot/relationship advice

Time for a Miller
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I broke up with a girlfriend because I either had to try to "work things out" which meant driving to Platteville ....... or going to Umbrella Night.

But the big question is: Do you still have the umbrella?

She is also a big Packer fan and shoots pool which I also enjoy. I need to find a homeless man to give me stock tips apparently. I've been out with her a few times and sometimes I get the feeling like she is saying she likes stuff more then she does just to be more liked. It fels like she is playing me a little bit. I've decided not to call her back and if she calls me and wants to hang out I will. I guess I can't keep jumping from rock to rocks until there are no more rocks, but I don't want to stop an a jagged mean rock that's going to be hard to stop me from falling in the river. I said call me if you ever want to hang out or practice softball (she plays in a league). So the balls in her court I've decided. Thanks for all the advice everybody, a lot of it makes a lot of sense.

I dated a couple girls, um, back in the day, who were very attractive. Neither was a good match though. I guess i'm not sure what the question is, if it's possible to want to break up with a babe? Of course it is.

It sounds like you're happy to let her go at this point, so I'm glad you worked it out.

I'd also like to say on the record my wife puts all the others to shame.

She is also a big Packer fan and shoots pool which I also enjoy. I need to find a homeless man to give me stock tips apparently. I've been out with her a few times and sometimes I get the feeling like she is saying she likes stuff more then she does just to be more liked. It fels like she is playing me a little bit. I've decided not to call her back and if she calls me and wants to hang out I will. I guess I can't keep jumping from rock to rocks until there are no more rocks, but I don't want to stop an a jagged mean rock that's going to be hard to stop me from falling in the river. I said call me if you ever want to hang out or practice softball (she plays in a league). So the balls in her court I've decided. Thanks for all the advice everybody, a lot of it makes a lot of sense.
Does she have interest in any activities that are not generally associated with drinking?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've decided not to call her back and if she calls me and wants to hang out I will.

Bad idea. If you don't want to see her, then don't. If you don't want to date her, then don't. Don't be the guy who just stops calling. Be a man and tell her that you just don't feel the chemistry, and make an official break that is very clear and honest.

Around September I started dating a girl and immediately realized we weren't the right fit. However, her family had Packer season tickets and I was able to stretch the "relationship" into 4 free games. I broke it off after the championship game and now am dating her best friend.

Legendary!

http://www.kensavage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/barney-stinson-how-i-met-your-mother.jpg

The most important thing is often tolerance. I've found that above all else, the biggest predictor of success is whether a girl cares that on weekends I'm gonna get drunk, and when I get home I will pee on the front lawn. Then, the next morning I may be smoking my pipe and wearing a kimono. While I do this, I will drink so much coffee that I sweat. After that, I may surf the internet for awhile, and then spend much of my day doing very little before perseverating on something I'm writing or reading. In exchange for this, I tolerate Grey's Anatomy, chick music, flavored coffee, annoying passive-aggressive friends, wraps when I could have a burger, and throw pillows. Also, when the girl thinks that the world, particularly someone she works with, is out to destroy her, I say "man, what in the world is wrong with her? What a moron!".

Around September I started dating a girl and immediately realized we weren't the right fit. However, her family had Packer season tickets and I was able to stretch the "relationship" into 4 free games. I broke it off after the championship game and now am dating her best friend.

Legendary!

http://www.kensavage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/barney-stinson-how-i-met-your-mother.jpg

I was thinking the exact same thing. That is amazing/hilarious

3TO Apostle

Does she have interest in any activities that are not generally associated with drinking?

Ummmmmm, I guess not. How many activitis do you like that are not generally asscociated with drinking though?

Bad idea. If you don't want to see her, then don't. If you don't want to date her, then don't. Don't be the guy who just stops calling. Be a man and tell her that you just don't feel the chemistry, and make an official break that is very clear and honest.

Official breaks don't work where I am right now. I'm not a college student at Madison anymore. She tends bar at my favorite local hangout. There is only like 4 bars I really like. I suppose it will probably work out still if I just "man up." She seems like the type of girl that would understand.

The most important thing is often tolerance.

I aggree completely, and I'm one of the most tolerant guys in the world.... except when it comes to people who think wins are an important stat when evaluating pitchers. Go Salomon Torres, and screw people who think wins area big deal.

Back to the original question, "Is loving the Brewers enough to base a relationship on"? I have some experience in this area. My wife has accused me of loving the Brewers more than her. I've been with the Brewers since my first trip to County Stadium in 1978. My wife and I, however, have only been together since the team broke spring training camp in 2001. There is plenty of give and take in every relationship. She realizes that my mood often depends on the daily performance of the team. The 2002 season was a rough one for her, but there were good times too, like the game we attended at the Metrodome where she got company tickets behind home plate and Matt Stairs hit two home runs and we smoked the Twins. The 2003 season was a transitional year. We realized we were ready to take our relationship to the next level. It was similar to the new management regime taking hold with the Brewers, you knew there were better things ahead. We got engaged in a park next to the Mississippi River in Prairie Du Chien. It was the same spot where we listened to the broadcast of Nick Neugebauer's pitching debut. We got married in 2004. The wedding is a blur, but the honeymoon trip to Jamaica was awesome. There were a week of memories, twilight walks on the beach, a catamaran ride to Dunn's River Falls, a raft ride down the great river, and Chris Saenz's debut against the Cardinals. We celebrated our first anniversary with a trip to Miller Park. Doug Davis gave up a couple of home runs to Scott Rolen and JJ Hardy was barely keeping his battig average above .100, but we knew there were better days ahead. The core of a great team was in place, and it was obvious that things would only get better. Our relationship has grown as our family has grown. Our daughter was born on Haiku night in 2006. Our son is named after our opening day pitcher. Both of the kids were born on the days of victories against the Marlins. My sage advice is that the Brewers can be a part of a great relationship, but you can't totally base a relationship on them. Prior to meeting my wife, I dated two girls with the last name "Brewer". While the name was great, I knew after a couple of dates that they weren't the right women for me (neither celebrated the Easter Sunday miracle of 1987). When you find your eventual wife, you'll know it right away. You may have some doubts during the long haul. Since my wife lived in Minneapolis for several years, I occasionally catch her watching the Twins highlights on ESPN, and I was shocked to find a Homer Hanky tucked away in her dresser drawer. A relationship isn't based on one game or a single 162 game season. When you make the commitment, it's for the tenure of the franchise.

My wife has gone to Brewer games with me and has enjoyed herself in watching baseball with me. She's even allowed me to get the Directv Extra Innings package. However, she said last night, she was a bit concerned that with all the Brewer games, she may not see me. So she reminded me not to forget about her. I spent time with her from the time I got home at 4, until when the game started and she was happy. It's all a matter of give and take.

Perhaps to summarize its some weird mix of the "lightning strike" ala Joe Black meets appreciating the merits of the '87 Brewers? What else would be better to do together in the summer than go to Miller Park?

I just broke up with my gf though, so I could probably use more advice then I am giving.

I broke it off after the championship game and now am dating her best friend.

Wow. I'm disappointed in her best friend. That's definitely against the rules.

Isn't there a Man Law concerning this? Oops, wrong gender (or would it go both ways?)

Isn't there a Man Law concerning this?

The only "Man Law" any real man should follow, is the ability to make up "laws" on the fly without any regard to past, present or future situations.

If the founding fathers were real men, they would have been smart enough to never write anything down, and just continued to make things up as it suited them.

I get the feeling like she is saying she likes stuff more then she does just to be more liked

This is pretty common, especially for younger people. I call them "fakers".

So I was thinking about an idea related to this thread last night (admittedly after quite a few adult beverages). I have dated a good handful of women, and they have enjoyed/put up with my baseball-filled summers to varying degrees. And yet, I haven't found one that truly loved or understood the game. Am I aiming too high here? For those of us who are eligible bachelors and interested in meeting women who truly appreciate and share our mutual obsession with the Brewers and baseball, does anyone have any good advice to offer? The more I think about it, the more I think its a must for a girlfriend of mine to really enjoy the thing I enjoy most. Any thougths?

i don't really care if my next gf really likes baseball or not, just that she accepts the fact that i do.

i'm a big hiker, and the few girls i've dated, i've taken on overnights. it's not as much to see if they like hiking, too, but to see if they whine and complain about everything (hills, spiders, mice, weather) or if they make the effort to try to enjoy what I enjoy. (i'm totally fine if she freaks out from seeing a mouse, but not to the point of it ruining our trip).

My thoughts are that you probably don't want "worlds to collide". Relationship George kills Independent George.

Do you care about handbags or ladies shoes? Do you care where she gets her hair styled, colored and cut? Do you care about HGTV or the differences between shades of offwhite paint? Do you watch The View or Sex in the City? Do you like Drew Barrymore?

Obviously, not all women like that stuff, but some do, and it would probably be unrealistic for them to expect you to jump in to their interests with both feet. I would bet they probably wouldn't even want you to.

My wife likes all sorts of stuff. Some of that stuff, I like in my own way, and some of it--I couldn't care less. We don't have to share interests of every single thing. She loves technology and electronic gadgets. I don't. She reads design magazines all the time. Seriously--we subscribe to Dwell, Metropolitan Home, Azure, Plenty, New York Living, and she buys at least two different ones off the newsstand every month. I never even look at them.

Why would you insist that the woman you date have the same interest in the Brewers and baseball as you?

Allow the Brewers and your love of baseball to be your own special relationship, while at the same time, you nurture and develop a real human relationship with a woman. You can follow the team, and read the boxscores, and watch the games, and post stuff on here, etc. And, you can date a terrific person with her own interests and I'm sure you can find a happy balance.

Jim makes a great point. it's nice at first to want to do every single thing together with the gf, but there has to be a point later on where you just want to get away from everything, including the gf, and that could very well be a baseball game or even listening to the radio in the garage. every man needs a degree of solitude.

For those of us who are eligible bachelors and interested in meeting women who truly appreciate and share our mutual obsession with the Brewers and baseball, does anyone have any good advice to offer? The more I think about it, the more I think its a must for a girlfriend of mine to really enjoy the thing I enjoy most. Any thougths?

You might need a bit of good luck your way, but don't give up hope. My advice is to go watch some games at a bar & see if there are any nice-lookin' ladies there actually watching a game. Is it a limited search? Yes, but inherently so, given your desire(s)/goal(s). This is how I met my gf, though admittedly I wasn't out cruising for ladies... just sorta happened.

Relationship George kills Independent George.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So I was thinking about an idea related to this thread last night (admittedly after quite a few adult beverages). I have dated a good handful of women, and they have enjoyed/put up with my baseball-filled summers to varying degrees. And yet, I haven't found one that truly loved or understood the game. Am I aiming too high here? For those of us who are eligible bachelors and interested in meeting women who truly appreciate and share our mutual obsession with the Brewers and baseball, does anyone have any good advice to offer? The more I think about it, the more I think its a must for a girlfriend of mine to really enjoy the thing I enjoy most. Any thougths?

Well maybe I can give you this girls number then since I'm "not feeling it." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I did just send her a text about 30 minutes ago and now we're texting back and forth (dumb 20 cent text messages). I was debating whether or not I should, but I took the advice that I can't just be the guy that doesn't call again. She is shoe shopping right now. Maybe for baseball cleats since she is going to start softball league soon, maybe for high-heeled oh la la shoes. I don't know her that well.

Archived