Brewer Fanatic

5/30/07 Braves (Hudson) @ Brewers (Bush): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although that was a collective tank job by the bully, for some reason I feel compelled to focus my ire on Turnbow. The next time he knows going into an inning that he's not going to throw a slider to anyone, would be nice if he'd go ahead and let Castro know that, so they could get somebody up in advance.

All those who still don't think this bullpen needs some reinforcements please raise your hand.

Personally, I'd have gone with Cordero once they had 2 on with one out. Tomorrow they face Obermueller and they shouldn't need a closer in that one.

Spurling throwing BP. Maybe that should be his job. It might get the offense going.

Wow, what a way to ruin an afternoon. It was going so well....

I'm going to the liquor store.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I have been getting on Spurling too because he has been getting lucky. He constantly allows deep flies and line shots right at people, but not today. They are landing in for hits.

I love this team to a fault and a couple guys screw up a great effort that are just not that good.

I even like Graffy and Counsell. However, please lose Spurling for Cappellan. Don't use Turnbow in the 8th and bat Bill Hall 6th or lower and I will be happy.

Spurling is a minor league pitcher. You only get lucky so long in the majors. He will be gone by July. As for Turnbow, if we are serious about contending there is no way we can trust him as our 8th inning setup man. All relievers struggle at some point but I think his confidence gets rattled and then he can't throw a strike. The 8th inning guy has to throw strikes. Anyone out there we can deal for?

Verified Member
Classic case of wasting a shut-down reliever because of the "closer" role. To me, you use your most dominant, shut-down guy to get the most important outs late in a game, even when they are not in the 9th. Today those outs were Renteria-McCann; once TBow got into trouble I'd use Cordero right there -- even if that means he would not be available for the 9th. I'd be much more comfortable relying on Shouse/Spurling/Villanueva or whoever to get three outs when starting an inning against the 5-6-7 hitters rather than wishing they could get out of a bases juiced one out situation vs 3-4
Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

Archived