Brewer Fanatic

Who is this Trenni gal? Analyst overload?

twobrewers wrote:

Did you watch spring training when the Colorado crew did half of the Brewers/Rockies game.

They were brutal. The color commentator was so annoying.

Yeah, I watched that. It was his laugh. Very grating. I posted about that in the "After on year what do you think of the broadcasts thread."

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=10562

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I'll be going against everyone here, but I don't like her, here's why: At the Winter Warmup at Miller park (tickets 150.00 per person), she was doing an interview with Davey with Gallardo, Hardy, Weeks, and Hart.. Myself along with a mother and her two young kids were waiting for JJ Hardy and a couple others.. after the interview had concluded she continued to talk to Hardy for an extended amount of time.. at least I swear 15-20 minutes, and for me specifically, JJ had not been up in the club because he was answering phones in the sales office if you recall.. so I really wanted to tak to JJ.. well she just kept talking and talking to him seriously.. it seemed like she just wanted to flirt with him, thats how she acted.. it seriously ticked me off.. fans were paying 150.00 to meet the brewers.. and where are the brewers specificially JJ.. talkin to her.. the event was not for her, it was for the fans.. so now whenever I see her I pretty much cant stand her.. to me it seems like she just wants to meet the brewers etc.. I really wouldnt be suprized if she's gone out on dates with half the club..

I actually feel sorry for all those guys. They are forced to ask dumb questions that are acceptable to a largely uniformed TV audience. I must admit to having a soft place in my heart for Davey though. He's like our Ron Santo. When ever he talks sympathy just pours forth. Otherwise I'd just as soon dump Trenni or anyone else in her position. I'd replace her banter with more updates around the league, but especially concentrating on our own minor league system. I've got nothing against her; it's just that I've got no use for her info.

I like Trenni. I'm not a fan of the "every team must have a female on-air personality" trend, but Trenni's better then most (heck, she's better than a lot of the males). Let's enjoy her while we've got her. In a year or two, she'll have a national job and we'll get stuck with another Ann Carroll.

Clarification: I don't care what gender a broadcaster is as long as they're decent. I just don't like the thought of so many of them getting a job solely because they're female (while there are probably some pretty good male talents out of work).

Trenni stands on her own as being good; the female part is irrelevant to me. The main thing is that she's a hugely positive addition with interesting stuff to offer.

I like Davey, but as Trenni pointed out, last year he was stuck in a host role quite a bit when his strength is actually as an analyst. I think when brewerfan.netters have complained about Davey, a lot of these complaints would have been based on evaluating him in a host role or when he had to work with Ann Carroll.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Maybe it's just my personal taste, but I don't view her as all that attractive. Not that it really matters, I do think she is doing a good job, eons better than Ann Carrol and she does tend to know what she's talking about. She's certainly not ugly, I don't want to give the wrong impression, but I don't see her looks as bringing a whole lot to the male audience.

I agree with Tbadder though, I already know most of what she is saying (or don't care to know sometimes) and I wish they would use that time to do some more "around the league" updates or something like that.

I was at a game last week and Trenni came down into the seating bowl. She was taking lots of notes on the game and seemed to be genuinely forming questions before she did some of her interviews after the game. I don't know if the questions were any good, but she seemed intent on what she was doing and taking her role seriously. On the other hand, Davey and Craig came down 10 minutes later and just joked around with the ushers until the end of the game.

Also, not that it matters, but she is much more attractive in person than on TV.

Less of awkward weird nerdy looking guys on the broadcast the better.

As an akward, weird, nerdy-looking guy, I could not agree more. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif From what I've heard about her work, she's been better than expected/hoped. When I can add Extra Innings or MLB.TV, I'll look forward to a 'sideline' reporter that is actually aware of baseball!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know I was jumping to conclusions on the above post and my thoughts.. I am half-heartedly joking about that.. with the conclusions and the flirting.. but it did really iriate me that night when I was waiting for JJ...

So, a hypothetical question for all you men: if you MUST see a female commentator, would you rather she be extremely unattractive and really know what she's talking about, or be drop-dead gorgeous and have the baseball knowledge of a 2-year-old?

Honesty is encouraged.

Basically, what I'm getting at is - what do you think the role of female commentators is? Are they there to provide a pretty face for a mostly male, heterosexual audience, or to give a little bit of color commentary and get interviews from players, like any male commentator would do?

As an aside, most male sports commentators I've seen are not attractive at all. Unfair.

...would you rather she be extremely unattractive and really know what she's talking about, or be drop-dead gorgeous and have the baseball knowledge of a 2-year-old?
I would rather they know what they are talking about. But if they are attractive like Trenni or Erin Andrews and know what they are talking about that is a bonus. See Ann Carrol was not attractive to me and she stunk as a reporter/interviewer.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

As I have no shot personally with any TV personality, I just want someone who generally understands the game and asks intelligent questions. Mostly, that I don't want to turn the channel when they start an interview, like I always did with Brainerd. I'm easy that way.... just don't make me pickup the remote...

Initially hotness always helps my tolerance level, but gradually that fascination wears away and in the end substance is what I care about most. I'm actually much tougher on male broadcasters now that I think about it, hmm.

Are we allowed to say both?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So, a hypothetical question for all you men: if you MUST see a female commentator, would you rather she be extremely unattractive and really know what she's talking about, or be drop-dead gorgeous and have the baseball knowledge of a 2-year-old?

Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge. Ann Carrrrrolllllll (never know how to spell that name http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ) had neither imo, but I would have loved her just as much as it sounds like I will Trenni if Ann had the baseball savvy down. Heck, even just knowing guys' names would've felt ok after the crap we watched in 2007.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ann Carrol stumbled over her words and mispronounced player's names. She was all around bad. I wanted to say that looks are important just to be different, but I can't rationalize somebody who is bad at doing interviews. If Trenni was stumbling over words or doing bad interviews her attractiveness would plummet. Being attractive is so much more than just how somebody looks.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know that it was mentioned earlier about Bill being acceptable because others were so bad. I also have the package and agree that there are worse analysts including that Colorado blowhard.

However, this does not extricate Bill Schroeder. He has a dry monotone boring voice. He always talks about going the "other way" almost endlessly. And most importantly, he bring nothing to the table at all. Just because he is not annoying does not make him "acceptable." How about that Prince interview he did? What an idiot...

I do like Brian Anderson though and I believe he is getting better every day.

Well, I'd like to pick knowledge over looks, but I think the classic unattractive but knowledgable female reporter would be Michelle Tafoya, and I just can't stand her.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefYlHgRIMoUBESqjzbkF/SIG=12fveb8tg/EXP=1208315813/**http%3A//www.minnesotascore.com/articles/images/tafoya-01.jpg

With an attractive reporter I find it easier to use the male's God given talent and tune out on what she's saying and lapse into a zippy little fantasy world until they start showing the game again. Kinda like watching a Brittany Spears video on mute. I'm not proud of this, just the way it is.

Fortunately Trenni is a qualified reporter and easy on the eyes, chances are I'll listen more to what she has to say. More often anyway. Or probably not. Damn I'm a pig.

...if you MUST see a female commentator, would you rather she be extremely unattractive and really know what she's talking about, or be drop-dead gorgeous and have the baseball knowledge of a 2-year-old?
I'd rather a commentator know what they are talking about. I don't tune into the baseball game to look at the commentators, I tune in for the game. Honestly, if I want to look at attractive girls they pan on the crowd enough I'm sure the percentages would say there has to be some in there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

My guess is that female commentators are there to do the job of a male commentator, but also to captivate that small part of the audience which needs captivation for whatever reason. It's simple marketing and demographics research by the stations/networks.

(pared back long quote --1992)

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived