Brewer Fanatic

5/31/07 Marlins (Obermueller) @ Brewers (Vargas): 7:05 PM CT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is Rickie hurt or what??

Nope. He's just been sucking it up. I wouldn't mind Ned sitting him tomorrow even too. He's NOT a leadoff hitter, period. And when the guy gets 2 strikes on him, I expect....expect a K coming. Wiffing away at both fastballs and off-speed pitches equally lately. When he does come back, push him way down in the batting order, please!

What do strikeouts have to do with getting on base?

If you strikeout....you don't get on base. Hitting .243. I don't know about you, but I expect way more from a leadoff hitter. Maybe I'm expecting too much???

I don't know what bucksman meant with that comment, but when I see two strikes on Rickie Weeks, I assume a strikeout and am shocked if there is a different outcome. He just currently seems so susceptible to the punch-out.

He still can't hit a breaking ball to save his life.

This has nothing to do with him being a leadoff hitter and everything to do with him sucking at the plate lately. I'm glad he got a day off. He could probably use it.

I know Rickie has been struggling and I think it is because of his wrist, but let's look at some stats that show how he rates against other leadoff batters. This is comparing all lead off batters in the national league. Rickie is 5th in runs scored, 3rd in home runs, and tied for 6th in RBIs. The next four are only out of 11 players. He is 9th in batting average, 7th in OBP, 5th in SLG, and 5th in OPS. So as bad as he has been playing he is still in the middle half of the national league.

I agree that Weeks has been sucking lately. But since they have had Hart doing decent at the lead off spot for the last few days, why not drop Rickie lower in the lineup rather than sit him?

I think he will improve dramatically once lowered, he has already gotten a few days off, give him a start now lower in the order and keep Hart at lead off.

What do strikeouts have to do with getting on base?

Well, they don't get you on base as much as groundouts to second base do, that's for sure.

At least a true leadoff man is in there again tonight. And his name is Jon Corey Hart. Weeks, Hart, and Gross are all legit leadoff options, so as long as one of them is in that spot, I won't complain.

I will agree with giving Corey Hart a legit shot at this leadoff spot. Even though Weeks is struggling, I would still rather have him in the lineup playing 2B over Counsell/Graffy any day of the week. Weeks batting 7 would be my preference.

At least a true leadoff man is in there again tonight.

I'm surprised to read this from you Brett. I could be wrong, but it seems Weeks' OBPs have always been better than Hart's. That was always the knock on Corey in the minors--he didn't walk

Rickie Weeks . . ."straight ball, I hit very much. Curveball? Bats are afraid. I ask Joboo to come. Offer cigars and rum.

He will come!"

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Bill Hall could not get on base if he were intentionally walked.

Hall could not get a hit if the defense left the field.

Hall's new chant goes from Bill! (clap,clap...clap) Hall!

to

Bill! (crickets chirping, sound of wind caused by his flailing swings, Strike out! ) Hall!

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Well, it was moreso a swipe at another player (at least the calling him a "true leadoff hitter" part). The swipe definitely wasn't at Weeks.

Rickie is my favorite player on the team, so I definitely want him to leadoff, he is the best option they have there. Hart is probably the third of three acceptable options (at least in my opinion), so I'm fine with him there.

Quote:
is Rickie hurt or what??

Nope. He's just been sucking it up.

Finally, bucksman's true identity is realized. Team doctor!

I will agree with giving Corey Hart a legit shot at this leadoff spot.

How many AB before we know if he belongs there? 50 maybe?

Is that reverse mojo there Jamie?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

People shouldn't be surprised Rickie is out of the lineup. Last weekend Ned said that with Braun up to the big leagues, he'd begin getting Counsell and Graffy in by giving Hardy 1 day off per week and Weeks 2.

I think this is their best lineup:

1. Gwynn/Hart RF

2. Weeks 2B

3. Hardy SS

4. Fielder 1B

5. Braun 3B

6. Jenkins LF

7. Hall CF

8. Estrada C

9. Pitcher

It just seems that the lineup above would be tough to beat. What do you think??

Gwynn in right field makes me ill but that's been beat to death.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived