Brewer Fanatic

Does Coco get booed this week?

patrickgpe
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THANK YOU! He left for the money, not to win a championship. It's the epitome of greed, IMO.

If he could make more money as a carpenter, he probably would do that instead. It's what he does to make money. Winning is secondary, as it is for many other professional athletes. If you don't like that arrangement, you should stick to amateur sports.

Say you're making $70,000/year and the competitor offers you $80,000/year. You're telling me you wouldn't leave? Out of some sense of "loyalty"?? That's a crock.

I'd certainly go back to my current employer and give them the chance to match or surpass the offer if I legitimately wanted to stay as I had been saying for the previous 6 months before I left......

THANK YOU! He left for the money, not to win a championship. It's the epitome of greed, IMO.

If he could make more money as a carpenter, he probably would do that instead. It's what he does to make money. Winning is secondary, as it is for many other professional athletes. If you don't like that arrangement, you should stick to amateur sports.

So you're saying more athletes would rather watch "The Color of Money" than "For the Love of the Game"?? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I might have to say Doug made a couple bad moves on this all together dating back to the prior off-season. But then again, he left for an extra 4 million.. what the above poster says, why don't you go to your current employer and say hey X company offered me this etc, esp. if you were saying how much you love your current employer. Instead of just saying "we have an offer thats more money".

When you make as much money as baseball players do in today's age, leaving a team for a couple more million doesn't seem to outweigh the value of being on a playoff team, but maybe that's just me. I hope Coco's arm falls off this series so I can laugh at him and the Reds.

This was Melvin's recollection of the talks in the spring of '07 with Cordero's agent, Bean Stringfellow:

"I recall we did make a proposal but we didn't get a counter (offer)," said Melvin. "We never reached any type of negotiating stage. I don't know if they gave us a chance. They never gave us a proposal.

"They wanted more than that and I think that's why they never responded."

Cordero said he thought the Brewers would be more aggressive than the Reds in trying to re-sign him after the season. Melvin seemed surprised that Cordero would characterize a $42 million offer as not being aggressive.

"We were aggressive, but there's a certain point you go to, where you have to back off. We would've almost doubled his salary. We went beyond what we wanted. We only wanted to go to $40 million but we went to $42 million

"It's just the way negotiations are. Their feelings were hurt when we gave them the deadline. He'll survive. He's going to be happy with $46 million."

Hopefully it's OK to post that from Tom at JS Online - and from the Brewers site.

According to Cordero, the Brewers showed little interest.

"They said, 'No, we need to see you pitch,'" Cordero said. "So it was not the case that they didn't have a chance to bring me back. They did have a chance. They had plenty of chances to bring me back as a Brewer."

Melvin remembers it differently, and pointed out that he never saw any kind of proposal from Stringfellow. The Brewers did submit an offer, the GM said, that would have replaced Cordero's 2007 contract with a three-year deal that would have nearly doubled his $5 million salary through 2009. Melvin said he never got a counter offer.

As Cordero understands it, Stringfellow informed Melvin that he had a better offer, and the sides agreed to talk again on the Monday following the holiday weekend.

"I think [the Brewers] thought it was a bluff," Cordero said. "An hour later, the same day, they called my agent and said, 'You have until [Friday] to decide. They put a deadline. They wouldn't wait until Monday."

Cordero, who agreed to terms with Cincinnati on that Friday, did not like the idea of a deadline.

"Not at all," he said. "Why would I like that?"

Melvin figured as much. But he said the Brewers never intended to go past $40 million, and after upping their proposal to $42 million were told by Stringfellow only that Cordero had another offer from a team within the NL Central that was "significantly greater" than Milwaukee's.

When Melvin heard that term, he backed off. Had Melvin known that $43 or $44 million might have swayed Cordero to stay, things may have ended differently.

"I would have gone to ownership with it," Melvin said.

IMO it seems like Stringfellow was stringing Cordero along. You think that Stringfellow had something in for this with himself with the Reds FO. Maybe "hey have Cordero sign with us and tell the Brewers you have a signficatnly higher offer and will give you 10 grand"? You think that happens in Pro Sports between agents and the Front offices. I mean what else could it be.

So basically we have the following contracting stories:

A. Francisco Cordero says the Brewers never offered him a contract in the Spring of 07' - obviously from his agent to Cordero. Cordero would have signed an extension, at least thats what Cordero is saying.

B. Melvin setup a deadline in the 2008 Off-season for Cordero. Cordero did not like that. Both sides confirmed this. On that Friday then, Cordero accpeted the deal with Cin. Melvin says Stringfellow said Cordero had a significantly greater offer. Melvin was already at the top of his bracket of 40 million, but a few more million he says he would have taken it to ownership.

Really? -- I think the gap between the Brewers/Reds is much smaller than the RedSox/Rays. I have a hard time seeing how the comparison works.

Ok, but your comment was based on win projections. I think 96 for the Sawx is a tad optimistic (not by much), and 66 for the Rays is probably worse than a worst-case scenario for them this year. The gap btw. the two examples is much close imo, but now I'm just debating you because I hate your guts.

Has anyone else noticed the title of the article at Brewers.com?

"Cordero to Brewers: No Hard Feelings"

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Oh, ok, Francisco, it's good to know you aren't mad at us... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not only that, but we also have the ability to extend our youngsters instead of being tied to Cordero's big contract. I would boo him until he thought it was his name, but in a way, I also appreciate the fact that he didn't sign with us. But just because it works out in the end does not mitigate his overt greed. And as for the numbers on Jr. Griffey, I believe a lot of his contract is actually deferred so he and Coco could ultimately end up retarding the Reds' ability to extend their young flame-throwing righties.

Archived