Brewer Fanatic

Tailgate police?

TabbertBB

Speaking for those who showed up regularly during games in the 90s...before the interwebs and when cell phones weighed more than a laptop:

We would tailgate like crazy on summer nights. We would listen (and grill and drink) till the 5th when you could get into the bleachers for a buck. We would then stagger in and smoke cigars, outdoors (remember, the 90s). We would also just kinda go wherever, because there were like 8 people at the game and they were usually inside by the 5th.

We do need some more porta-johns in the lot. Going to a Brewer game and tailgating is treated the same as going to a bar, so a few more places to put recycled beer would be good. As a compromise, maybe some Brewerfan.net volunteers can bike the lot after the 3rd and throw out any errant grillers. That is, those of us not in the chatroom.

On the other hand, if you want to get hammered and listen to the radio, you have a driveway for that.

you all need to increase your bladder control http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

we were in line to get in at 8:45 and i didnt have to go until the middle of the 1st...in the ballpark!

back to the issue, we were told a couple years back that we either had to leave or go in to the game in about the 3rd-4th inning. we stayed in the lot were never approached again. we were going to buy tickets at the gate and the crew was down 7-0 by the time we started thinking about going in.

squambaum wrote:

How do you define a real fan?

Someone who either stays home to watch the game or shows up at the stadium to do more than hang out in the parking lot.

That's insulting. I watch the majority of games from home, but sometimes me and my friends like to go grill out and throw a football around in the parking lot, have some beers and listen to the game on the radio. It's called enjoying summer. We don't bother anyone. I also can't afford to go to every game. I think it adds to the overall atmosphere but apparently I am not a real fan because of it.

you all need to increase your bladder control http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

we were in line to get in at 8:45 and i didnt have to go until the middle of the 1st...in the ballpark!

But did you drink.. wait how many beers and bloodies did I drink that day?

squambaum wrote:

How do you define a real fan?

Someone who either stays home to watch the game or shows up at the stadium to do more than hang out in the parking lot.

It's called enjoying summer. We don't bother anyone.

Bother anyone, no. And if it's a game against say, the Pirates(who won't sell out) i have no problem with it. However, i do have a problem when it's a sold out game and People who paid to go to the game can't use the team's parking lot(opening day, Cubs series, ect). That is when it's a problem.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

So you have been denied use of the parking lot before? If so, I understand your frustration. I have never done it for a Cubs series because I'm likely more interested in being glued to the tv for it.

My point is to is say I'm not a real fan because of this dumb, imo

Exactly Al. We either have a drinking problem or a very small bladder.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

So you have been denied use of the parking lot before? If so, I understand your frustration. I have never done it for a Cubs series because I'm likely more interested in being glued to the tv for it.

My point is to is say I'm not a real fan because of this dumb, imo

I am sorry I insulted you. I should have left more of the original person's post in the quote as he was refering to showing up on days when the lot was likley to be full. I doubt that anybody has a problem with people showing up on days when the game is likely to be less than a sell out. Maybe saying you are not a true fan was incorrect. However, I think it is selfish and rude to show up for a sellout just to hang out in the parking lot when you don't have tickets.

Edit: I am also confused why you would complain about not having money for tickets yet still spend money just to park instead of going to a friend's house or a park.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am pro more police in the lot, I am also all for more port-o-johns

I also pee on the hill

I have gone to games with every intention to go in, and never made it, and I will continue to do so as well. If it's a busy game, I'm sorry, but I paid my parking fee to be there, so tough. You can always get there earlier, take a shuttle, park on the street, take a bus, take a cab, etc.

Somebody will always be upset by something.

I'm interested to know how many people have actually gotten denied parking because they have gotten there late? I know it happened last year on opening day. I just never thought it was that big of a deal. I usually have tickets or am at games where I can walk up and buy tickets and I have never minded the people who were just there for the party. Tailgating has always seemed fun and pretty unique to Wisconsin I just don't see why a lot of people here seem to want to squash it.

Screw that... throw a golf shoe. You'll only touch the toe, making the heel swing around and smacking right into your nose breaking it in 3 places. Now that's how you enjoy the summer.. baseballs and footballs are for weenies.

To sum it up, when it's going to be a busy day / close to be a sell out. You have to be nuts to think that you don't have to get there early to get a spot. You can't think you can show up 30 minutes before the game and just get right into the lot. That's just crazy talk.

However, I think it is selfish and rude to show up for a sellout just to hang out in the parking lot when you don't have tickets.

I've actually never hung out in the parking lot without tickets to the game. I've probably gone to, on average 20-30 games for the last 5 or so years since I came back from college. Here is an e-mail I sent to a couple friends when we were having the same discussion...

I dunno... I guess it is all how you look at it. I don't think you

should be able to expect to get into the lot if you're trying to pull

into the game 10 minutes before game time. We have a huge amount of

open lot space compared to some ballparks but there is overflow

parking with shuttles to the stadium available at State Fair and there

is room in the surrounding neighborhoods if you want to walk.

Milwaukee has a reasonable bus system with routes that go to Miller

Park.

It really sounds more like a planning ahead problem to me.

And yeah... there were some busy games last year especially near the

end of the year... but again it is no surprise to me because I follow

the team and know that on a certain day you need to leave yourself

extra time.

I think it is just kinda the mindset of people. Cubs fans deal with

lack of parking fine. Packer fans make due with long walks to the

stadium.

Moral of the story: PLAN AHEAD

I would never do the sit in the parking lot thing myself, as it would be absolutely silly for me to drive two hours to sit around in a parking lot. But I can certainly see why others want to do the same. I agree that if it's going to be a sellout game, then don't show up 30 minutes beforehand thinking that you can get parking. The prepaying for parking and not getting parking kind of sucks, but does it say anything in the fine print? I honestly don't know, I just buy it when I get there.

I agree with the last two posts. All of us on this board know full well that now that the team is winning, a lot more people are going to show up to the games, this goes for the people going to the game as well as the ones that never plan on going into the game. I had to work the morning of opening day and was coming a little later to meet people so I took a cab. I knew I would not be able to just drive in and park even though it was still 1 1/2 hours before game time. It's all about planning. I see no problem with people who want to enjoy a nice tailgate amongst other brewer fans and enjoy summer even if they don't have tickets to the game. They spent their $8 to park so they have just as much right as anybody else to the space they paid for that day. On a side note I must say it was the coolest feeling taking that cab ride in from downtown into the stadium and seeing brewer flags, thousands of people in brewer gear and the smoke rise up over the interstate and miller park way on opening day. Baseball season is here...lets enjoy it!

Edit: I am also confused why you would complain about not having money for tickets yet still spend money just to park instead of going to a friend's house or a park.

A car full is a few bucks a guy. I'd always rather go in the game, but if I'm with a group and I'm outnumbered then I'll stay in the lot with my friends and tune in on the radio. I mean, I've only done this a handful of times and I guess I didn't see the harm in it. But like I said, I've never done it for a "big game," because if I don't already have tickets I'd prefer to watch the game rather than listen to it.

Tickets are only $8 a person. If I'm going to sit with friends and watch the game, I'm doing it from home, grilling on my big grill, and enjoying myself. I just cannot imagine sitting in a parking lot for several hours and thinking "yep, this is cool".

Tickets are only $8 a person. If I'm going to sit with friends and watch the game, I'm doing it from home, grilling on my big grill, and enjoying myself. I just cannot imagine sitting in a parking lot for several hours and thinking "yep, this is cool".

Good for you man, good for you. You stay home with your "big grill." That's awesome. 99% of the time if I'm not at the game I'm watching it on tv, but I'm 23 and I don't own a home or have a place with a "big grill" where I can have my friends over and enjoy the summer weather (like I said, a handful of times) like I can in the parking lot. But yeah, you and your "big grill" really showed me how uncool it is for us to hang out in the parking lot once or twice a summer.

for sold out games, couldn't the parking attendants check for tickets and send vehicles that are just for tailgating to a "special" blocked-off area of the parking lot?

Personally, if I had a choice between watching the game and listening to the game, I'm watching it--especially, if I already spent money on tickets. Going to a game is like a major event in this household. We like to party, don't worry about that, but at the stadium we're going in to watch the game. Sure, spend some time in the lot prior but there's no way we're not going inside the park.

somebody mentioned the "plan ahead" mantra and it is a good one. But sometimes, life gets in the way. Or some accident/road construction that is unavoidable along your 3-hour route. If you bought pre-parking passes, you should not be penalized for that. Thankfully, I've never been that late to a game that I had to worry about it, but I can imagine that it will happen someday.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Pitch, there are still limited parking spots available. They can't really check for tiks because of will call and one person in a group holding all the tickets.

Again, I just cannot fathom why someone would pay to grill, when you can do it for free at your apartment, home, a park, or so on.

My place doesn't have a yard. My place doesn't have an area where I can grill out with numerous people and listen to the game. With 4 or 5 guys you're paying 2 bucks or less to park, rather do that and have the atmosphere of being there than go to some park where no one else cares.

Again, I get the take that if we're taking away spots on a sold out day for a big game then it could be a concern to people with tickets. I don't get why it's so unimaginable to still enjoy tailgating during some Nationals series that I don't have tickets for.

Apparently making fun of other people is "cool" in your opinion. I personally have never wanted to tailgate at a Brewers game and never make it in to the game but I understand it is obviously appealing to others since people obviously do it.

I find this an extremely interesting thread, especially to a fan of a team that has no real parking lots.

Several thing crossing my mind:

* You have become used to arriving late to games because in recent years not that many people have been showing up for games. Not that the team is good again you need to alter your expectations and plan to arrive early.

* Because you are now a hot ticket, some people who would like to go to a game couldn't get tickets but are willing to take a chance while walking around the parking lots asking, "Who's got 2?" Everybody seems to have forgotten about those people .

* Take public transportation if you don't want to deal with a possible parking lot lockout. I have Bears season tickets where there is a lot of parking available and I always take public transportation and still walk a mile from the train station. Good exercise!

* What's wrong with hanging around the parking lot with common-bond friends (some of whom you've never met before and will never meet again http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ) and enjoying the game together especially if you wanted to go in but couldn't swing the tix. As I have stated in another thread, part of the experience in going to Wrigley is the bar scene outside the stadium. You don't have to participate but why criticize those who do. (And there are plenty of toilets available in those bars around Wrigley)

* After reading about your port-a-potty situation in the parking lots, I don't think I ever want to read about how boorish you think Cubs fans are.

"* After reading about your port-a-potty situation in the parking lots, I don't think I ever want to read about how boorish you think Cubs fans are."

You're right. Going in a trough with 20 other guys is much better than going in a bucket in a makeshift outhouse.

Archived