Brewer Fanatic

Tigers: 0-7

ELCABALLO45

Even though it's only 6 games I'd imagine it's extremely frustrating for Tigers' fans. It's only one start but D-Train's command was absolutely no where yesterday, not exactly a hot start for him. Hopefully they like the Red Wings as much as they like the Tigers.

I'm loving it. The second highest payrolled team in baseball. They added 43.5 million in payroll this year, more than the entire payroll of the Marlin's and Rays. This is great.

You won't keep that lineup down long, and the rotation's got some quality performers. (Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers may still have some left). While the bullpen's not too good, you can't tell me they won't mash enough to stay in the thick of things.

Dunno...if they can't clean up on the Royals...

They still very well may win 90 games, but it's going to take awhile to clean up after this start. It'll take a month for them to dig themselves out of this hole. Considering that they were at home facing KC and CHW, there has to be an element of concern. That bullpen is not good at all.

Frame it this way: If the Brewers had somehow lost the first 6, would we all be in a panick that the team sucked?

Oh wait, many probably would. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Tigers have a lot of talent. If this 6-game losing streak came in July, no one would even be taking notice other than to say, "Oh."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

still, this is the kind of start followed by a road trip to (I believe) Boston and Cleveland that could "bury" them for a while. If they came back home with only 1 win (or less) on the road trip, I'd be very surprised to see the hitting/pitching coach still with a job, just to "shake things up" a bit. I think Leyland would be safe, however.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If Leyland were 'safe', I don't know why he'd axe Lloyd McClendon or Chuck Herandez. They've been with Leyland since he took over in 2005. Are you suggesting the team's success in 2006 was totally independent of them and its struggles in '08 are going to be alleviated by firing them?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was just thinking about posting about this. I think it's funny considering all the hype I heard about the Tigers this offseason and how the lineup was going to be the newest best lineup in all of baseball. But while it may be frustrating, it's nothing close to devastating.

Community Moderator

I saw some panic-stricken Tigers fans predicting 100 losses. Clearly, that isn't going to happen, but if they keep it up, they may not be able to catch the Indians. The fact is, despite the payroll, they have a number of flaws, especially with pitching.

But, we know what cold weather does to offense, especially in that big ballpark. Once the weather heats up, they'll be fine.

I was frustrated after the Royals sweep, but I find it kind of amusing now. They look like the bad news bears out there - can't hit, can't pitch, can't play defense. All you can do is laugh. It's just a game.

But I will be shocked if they continue to be the worst team in baseball. Ordonez, Sheffield, Polanco, Cabrera, and Renteria have track records that suggest they are much, much better hitters than what they have shown so far. And Granderson should be back in the lineup soon. The pitching staff is questionable, as I thought before the season. (In fact, the bullpen has looked worse than I feared. We may be talking historically awful.) I'm not convinced they will make the playoffs, but I don't think they are one of the worst teams in the league.

The only thing I am worried about things snowballing because of the poor start to the season, and players pressing to try to compensate. It may even be a good thing to get away from Comerica, as I have heard a lot of boos the past few games.

The Tigers are six games under .500, should they be worried? Well, I look at like I did when I was school. The sooner you fall behind in your work, the longer you have to catch back up. If I were a Tigers fan Id be ticked, but not quite ready to throw the team away.

Current Standings:

AL East:

Baltimore, Toronto, TB, NY, Boston

AL Central:

Chicago, KC, Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit

NL East:

Fla, Atl, Wash, NY, Philly

This is half of the divisions in baseball that the standings are basically a 180 from the expected standings. there's a good chance all of these will completely reverse by the end of the year. I hope that doesn't happen with the NL central...

This won't last forever, but they looked dreadful in that game last night vs. the White Sox. (Guillen just flat-out dropped an easy throw at first, etc.)

Am I remembering right? Did Kurkjian say on an ESPN season preview that he thought they might have an historically great offense, and perhaps score1,000 runs? If so, they going to have to mash the rest of the way.

I think they'll be fine once they get the monkey off their backs and win their first game. Starting this road trip is probably the best thing for them, too, so they can get out of the microscope of the home fans' expectations -- even if it does take them through Boston and Cleveland. It's only 6 games, though, and if they have a good couple of weeks, they'll be right back at .500. The Yankees lost a home series to the Rays and the Red Sox got swept in Toronto...crazy stuff happens in the first month sometimes.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived