Brewer Fanatic

6/1/07 Marlins (Olsen) @ Brewers (Suppan): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I think he's always been thought of as a cocky guy. Not a problem for me - I like it when players are good and they know it.

In order to succeed in professional sports you have to be extremely confident in your abilities. Heck, sometimes it even helps to be delusional about your abilities. As long as Braun doesn't show anybody up he can be as cocky as he wants a la Nick Swisher.

Quote:
Once the pitcher had to retreat for that bunt, how did Mench not score -- that was a perfect time to run on a "safety" squeeze bunt...

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully that run won't come to bite us on the rear later.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I think he's always been thought of as a cocky guy.

He might be cocky on the baseball field but he is really cool off of the field. I talked with him for a few minutes before the Saturday night game against the Padres and he was really down to earth. I asked him to sign a picture of his first home run in Spring Training that I shot and he was really impressed with the picture.

As long as Braun doesn't show anybody up he can be as cocky as he wants a la Nick Swisher.

Oh, no doubt. Swish is my favorite player. I like that Braun is cocky. He can do the one flap down gimmick for all I care.

I think he's always been thought of as a cocky guy. Not a problem for me - I like it when players are good and they know it.

Like Carlos Zambrano!

I would like him to just get through the league once without being grooved in the coconut.

This is after the fact, but does anyone think it was a mistake for Yost to bat Suppan in the 6th with 1st and 3rd and only 1 out? A pinch hitter likely scores a run there. You have the extra man back in the pen now, why not use him? I know Suppan's PC wasn't very high anyway, but at most, he's not going to go more than 1 inning further. We had a chance to break the game open, rather than settling for the 3 run advantage, and I don't think that was the right call, especially considering that lead is down to 1.

Basically, Yost sacrificed a run for the luxury of keeping Suppan in for 1 extra inning, and I just don't see how that was a good idea.

I've been quiet about the issue, but when does "small sample size" no longer apply to Hall as a centerfielder? It's almost 60 games now, and dumb stuff keeps costing the team runs, some of which could be costly. I was in favor of the experiment for a long time; now I'm not so sure!

Community Moderator

Basically, Yost sacrificed a run

You're assuming that the run absolutely would have scored, when in actuality there would only have been a 25-30% chance of it.

If it was a sure thing, then I might agree with you. But with our bullpen so shaky lately, getting everything possible out of a cruising Suppan isn't a bad decision.

Archived