Brewer Fanatic

Bobble Day, the good and the bad...

TURBO

What a great game today! Sheets was electric, and the crowd was awesome! This team HAS to have everyone who is truely a brewer fan excited!

Anyway, I thought I should share my experience with the board since I know there are a lot of collectors out there, and I thought you'd be interested in hearing what I observed, and what happened with me today.

My 12 year old son and I got to the game early, extra early, so we went down to the Friday's entrance at 11:00. We went there only because they were letting people in there, we didn't know that you were expected to go to the restaraunt once you got in. Anyway, after a worker told us the deal and we were already in, we decided to hang back by the entrance and wait for 11:30 so we could go in for batting practice and autographs.

First the bad:

We saw a ton of boxes of bobbles on the very end of the entrance, and a worker there opening each individual box to see if he could find the retros. This bothered me a little bit since he was setting the retros aside. As some other workers were showing up for work, he would hand them one as they came in the entrance. First off, I was told by a guy I know who works on the groundcrew, that workers had to pay $5 a piece for the bobbles if they wanted one, and he said he was unable to get the retros on purpose, his chances were the same as ours to get the rare ones. So that was a little annoying that it was being done underhanded, yet right in front of me and my son. Not that I see anything wrong with job perks, but it makes them even more rare for the average fan if all the workers are scamming the retros before the fans even get a crack at them.

Now for the good:

A lady that was working was hanging out by the ramps so no one would make their way from the entrance to the ramp. She saw my son and I standing, waiting and asked us if we were lucky enough to get a retro. I told her no and she said wait here a minute. She then walked over to the guy that was opening all the boxes and checking for the retros. She talked to him for a minute or so, then came back to us and said that she talked to the guy and to go over there and give him a regular bobble, and he would give me a retro. She said I could trade in both regular bobbles if I wanted 2 retros. (I wanted one of each, so I only took the offer on one) I thanked her, walked over to the guy and he traded me. That was extremely cool, but then again, it makes me wonder how many of these underhanded techniques are used each and every bobble game to give "some" fans an unfair advantage. Let me make this clear, I did not ask to make the trade, that kind lady out of the goodness of her heart approached me and my son and did us a big favor. She should get employee of the month if you ask me...lol

There you have it...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What a great game today! Sheets was electric, and the crowd was awesome! This team HAS to have everyone who is truely a brewer fan excited!

Anyway, I thought I should share my experience with the board since I know there are a lot of collectors out there, and I thought you'd be interested in hearing what I observed, and what happened with me today.

My 12 year old son and I got to the game early, extra early, so we went down to the Friday's entrance at 11:00. We went there only because they were letting people in there, we didn't know that you were expected to go to the restaraunt once you got in. Anyway, after a worker told us the deal and we were already in, we decided to hang back by the entrance and wait for 11:30 so we could go in for batting practice and autographs.

First the bad:

We saw a ton of boxes of bobbles on the very end of the entrance, and a worker there opening each individual box to see if he could find the retros. This bothered me a little bit since he was setting the retros aside. As some other workers were showing up for work, he would hand them one as they came in the entrance. First off, I was told by a guy I know who works on the groundcrew, that workers had to pay $5 a piece for the bobbles if they wanted one, and he said he was unable to get the retros on purpose, his chances were the same as ours to get the rare ones. So that was a little annoying that it was being done underhanded, yet right in front of me and my son. Not that I see anything wrong with job perks, but it makes them even more rare for the average fan if all the workers are scamming the retros before the fans even get a crack at them.

Now for the good:

A lady that was working was hanging out by the ramps so no one would make their way from the entrance to the ramp. She saw my son and I standing, waiting and asked us if we were lucky enough to get a retro. I told her no and she said wait here a minute. She then walked over to the guy that was opening all the boxes and checking for the retros. She talked to him for a minute or so, then came back to us and said that she talked to the guy and to go over there and give him a regular bobble, and he would give me a retro. I thanked her, walked over to the guy and he traded me. That was extremely cool, but then again, it makes me wonder how many of these underhanded techniques are used each and every bobble game to give "some" fans an unfair advantage. Let me make this clear, I did not ask to make the trade, that kind lady out of the goodness of her heart approached me and my son and did us a big favor. She should get employee of the month if you ask me...lol

There you have it...

Rickey,

I worked as an Usher for several years(i quit two years ago when it stopped being fun for me), and i am shocked to hear some of the guys doing that. It didn't happen when i was there(we weren't allowed to buy the bobbles either, we only got em if there were any left over at the end of the night). That really sickens me to know that's happening. If i were you, i would call and ask for the head of Event Services(the guy in charge of the Ticket takers/Ushers, they are the ones who handle the Bobbles) and ask for Jerry. He runs that dept(or atleast he did when i was there). I would complain. He's a good guy and i am sure he will get to the bottom of it. I'm sorry that you and your son had to see that, but atleast it has come to light and we as fans can do something about it. Also, let Jerry know about the nice woman. There is actually an Employee of the Month thing, where they get free tickets, IIRC. She should win HANDS DOWN.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Wow I saw nothing that bad the only problems I had were not getting any retros out of 6 bobbles going through the home plate entrance closer to first base. The quality of the bobble has also gotten worse IMO. From a horrible paint job to glue drippings to unpainted letters on the plaque and jersey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I'm starting to wonder if the retros are a myth.

I've had relatively good luck with the ones I've gotten at games quality-wise, but I have one Prince that doesn't really bobble since the spring is kinda messed up.

Rickey,

I worked as an Usher for several years(i quit two years ago when it stopped being fun for me), and i am shocked to hear some of the guys doing that. It didn't happen when i was there(we weren't allowed to buy the bobbles either, we only got em if there were any left over at the end of the night). That really sickens me to know that's happening. If i were you, i would call and ask for the head of Event Services(the guy in charge of the Ticket takers/Ushers, they are the ones who handle the Bobbles) and ask for Jerry. He runs that dept(or atleast he did when i was there). I would complain. He's a good guy and i am sure he will get to the bottom of it. I'm sorry that you and your son had to see that, but atleast it has come to light and we as fans can do something about it. Also, let Jerry know about the nice woman. There is actually an Employee of the Month thing, where they get free tickets, IIRC. She should win HANDS DOWN.

you know what, I don't want to make a big deal about this, just thought I'd share the experience with the rest of you... I'm not going to call and nark anyone out, I surely don't want the nice lady to get into any trouble over this, she did what she thought was a nice favor for a kid and his Dad. I'd hate to get her wrapped up into any trouble by discussing anything with the guy checking the boxes...

not to mention, by accepting that retro bobble, I actually took part in it.

something I forgot to mention, as we were waiting to get in, a worker in a red shirt, possibly a Friday's employee? (not field guys, the bouncers...etc) Anyway, he walked by a guy who asked him if he got a retro, he held up 2 bobble boxes and winked at him and said "of course." So not only did a worker get one bobble, but 2, and it looked to me like the wink followed by holding up his 2 boxes meant he got 2 retros...

That is just not right.

They need to hand out 45,000 bobbles that are the same, no retros, no rare ones, just make them all the same. That would take care of a lot of the problems in my opinion.

I went with three other people who don't care about bobbles and always give me theirs. Got 3 whites and 1 retro, so I was more than happy. About the workers digging through boxes, I've been hearing about that for 2 or 3 years now. It's always people at the front of the line who get their early, they always tell me about that.

My first game since I was 10 or 12, im 25 now, and it was great. Amazing in fact. Stupendous, stellar, et al.

I never thought I would get sucked into the Bobblehead craze, I always scoffed and ridiculed it, until I got mine and saw I pulled out a retro, now I am hooked. Granted that the bobble is very, very poorly done.

Last year, they had entire cases devoted to the retro bobbleheads. If you looked at the side of the case in which the bobbles were handed out, it would read either blue uniform or pinstripe uniform. This year, the side of the cases read Regular and Pinstripe, or something similiar. It looks like they are mixing them in this year.

i would like to point out the fact that if some of us that are complaining about this worked at MP and were getting the retros for our own collection this wouldnt be a problem. not that i agree with it, i didnt get it and ended up going to ebay for it. but it happens to be one of the "perks" and we all know it.

i would like to point out the fact that if some of us that are complaining about this worked at MP and were getting the retros for our own collection this wouldnt be a problem. not that i agree with it, i didnt get it and ended up going to ebay for it. but it happens to be one of the "perks" and we all know it.

I see nothing wrong with perks, but to do it out in the open just looks bad... I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, how many other Dad/Son teams didn't get a retro? It just seems unfair that's all.

I have been to my share of the bobble games, before this one, I have gotten only one alternate version of a bobble (Fingers powder Blue from a few years back). It does not surprise me that my luck has been so poor now that I know how they get singled out and passed on to the select few...

They need to hand out 45,000 bobbles that are the same, no retros, no rare ones, just make them all the same. That would take care of a lot of the problems in my opinion.
I don't think most people even care though.

Archived