Brewer Fanatic

Do the Cardinals scare you at all?

twobrewers

Right now, the Cardinals are 5-1. They took 2 out of 3 from Colorado and just swept the Nationals.

Pujols is always good. And Ankiel is looking very good as well.

But here is the kicker, during April- They play 6 games against San Francisco and 6 games against Houston.

Mulder is throwing in extended spring and looks to be back in a few weeks. Carpenter is projected back after the break. They also have a young stug (Rasmus) in AAA.

If they can keep winning against inferior teams, they could be a real force if Carpenter, Mulder and Rasmus are playing for them from July-September. Let's just say - I am definately "aware" of them.

Look at this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

This is a good reason not to get overexcited about our fast start. The Orioles are in first, the Red Sox are in last. The Royals are in first, the Tigers are in last. Etc etc etc. None of it makes sense.

I am not worried about the Cardinals. I am also not getting overexcited about the Brewers, although I hope they keep it up.

But here is the kicker, during April- They play 6 games against San Francisco and 6 games against Houston.
Until they start handing out playoff berths at the end of April, this means nothing. I remember last year the Pirates were in 2nd behind us towards the end of April and fans at Miller Park were cheering when they saw the Cubs beat the Pirates on the scoreboard. Don't be swayed by early results. And if someone offers you Gabe Kapler for Matt Holliday in your fantasy league...don't do it.
I am not Shea Vucinich

I admit that both the Cardinals and the Reds scare me a bit. The Cardinals scare me because LaRussa/Duncan seem to get so much out of mediocre pitchers. I think Pujols will actually make it through the season. Pujols and Ankiel are strong enough to make their O decent. The Reds scare me because of the those young arms and potential decent bullpen with Coco now behind them, but I think Dusty will mess it up. The Reds have O, and if Cueto is as good as advertised, I think Harang, Arroyo, Cueto is a pretty good rotation, with Weathers and Coco in the pen. I hope you'll all point back at this thread in September and mock my fear.

Community Moderator
They just aren't on the same level as the Brewers/Cubs. But could they overachieve, stay in the race, and finish over .500? I think so. However, if they get any injuries at all, it's going to devastate them.

Short of a major injury, I don't know what you can see in 6 games that should change your opinion of any team.
It isn't really the games played that has affected my opinion. I never looked at their schedule before.

They are pretty decimated by injuries on the pitching staff right now. (Mulder, Carpenter, Clement and Pineiro) I knew they were suppose to get healthy this season at some point - but I figured they would have buried themselves too deep of a hole to dig back out.

But after looking at their cream puff schedule, they have a decent shot at a 19-10 heading out of April. From there they are able to upgrade their offense (Rasmus) with a call-up. And they will be able to upgrade their pitching staff significantly with healthy bodies.

I still think the Reds/Cubs/Brewers are the biggest threats to win the NL Central. But I thought the Cardinals were going to be Pittsburgh/Houston bad - now I am wondering.

I won't be worried about St. Louis until the 15th or so. Right now I'm more worried about the Reds...manager chews a toothpick, Patterson has more homers than Dunn...

Actually Cuerto has me slightly concerned. 10 ks in 7 IP in opener *shiver*

What does worry me about the Cards is I think only two players (neither named Pujols) have hit home runs for them so far. Sooner or later their lineup is going to start producing more power.

The Cardinals are doing just that right now: Overachieving. No way they keep it up, even if they continue to over achieve it'll only net them maybe 70 wins and they won't quite be a complete easy team to win against. Keep in mind they played the Nats this past week, and the Nats are pretty bad. So are the Giants and the other clubs coming up for them, so if they continue to over achieve and play the clubs like that (in reality their about the same as the Nats maybe a notch above the Giants), they'll look good in April. Carpenter and Mulder seems like they've been on the DL forever including last year, I really don't expect much from those 2 guys, and I still think Wainwright is really playing above his head both last year and this year. Rasmus is not a sure bet either guys, he could fail long term, probably not probable, but short term ala this season is very possible. And I think Ankiel is playing above his head, I could be wrong since theirs not a ton of info on him since hes been a hitter, but from what I've heard he's a .250-.260/30HR player at best with alot of K's.

And while the Reds played very well the 2nd half of last season.. they still finished with how many wins/losses? Half a season doesn't count. I could go and say X player who had a great 2nd half will continue to put those numbers of the following year over a full year.. not probable. I think the Reds are decent esp with Cordero, but to go from what 70W's? in 07' to 85-90W in 08?. If Cueto and Volquez pitch well over the full season, YES they will, otherwise if they falter which Id imagine they will esp in that ball park, they'll probably only do maybe 80W's, and I think the Cubs/Brewers are a full notch above them - coresponding to 90W

Archived