Brewer Fanatic

Why is the board convinced Sheets is gone after this year?

uwisfan

I said it earlier, and i'll say it again. I'd rather have Sheets than Fielder. Prince is a nice player, but simply put, #1 pitchers are much tougher to find than great 1st basemen (especially if LaPorta turns out to be decent).

I think I have to agree with that. If they keep Braun long term and LaPorta is the player everyone thinks he will be and Sheets has a great full healthy season I think I to would almost rather throw the money at a #1 pitcher then Fielder. Don't get me wrong I love Prince, awesome guy and player. But I'd rather keep our ace and Braun along with a couple of the other youngs guys (Hart, Weeks and Hardy) then have Prince and no ace. We shall see though. And of the group of Hart, Hardy and Weeks I think Hardy is the one I would let go there because we have Escobar waiting in in the minors who everyone is very high on.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're serious you gotta pony up even though the risks are greater with pitchers, especially an organization like Milwaukee which has shown zero propensity to develop pitchers on even a semi-regular basis.

I think if you look in more recent years (aka non-Taylor/Bando/Selig), there are signs for encouragement. Well, three main ones, really -- YoGa, Parra, Villy. I think I have a lot more faith in the current braintrust than any that've recently come before it.

And how many 23-year-old 1B have hit 50 HR? Only one, so Prince is probably more transcendent than is Sheets.

This extremism totally glosses over the argument. It's that Prince is easier to replace than Sheets - not replicate.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived