Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis

Thanks for pointing that out Robin19. Sometimes I get a little carried away http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

You would almost think the Brewers were for sure going to be gone after this season, and FSN was just throwing out some team of interns to handle the broadcast as an after-thought.
Man, I hope so. That would mean we somehow got out of the contract!

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we all know that directing a baseball telecast is more difficult than most sports. And yet there are plenty of competent baseball directors out there. Unfortunately we don't have one of them. Trenni said the new "regular" director was suppose to be here by now but I didn't notice any improvement today.

It's inexcusable for a major league team to have minor league (if that) broadcasting standards.

I thought last year was bad having to deal with Davey. But at least the game production was fine. Now we have grade school production and we still have Davey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Verified Member
It's inexcusable for a major league team to have minor league (if that) broadcasting standards.

Maybe it's just me but the broadcast has been better lately, at least to me. Not that that excuses from the horrible broadcasts earlier but it has been better.

But anyways, be quiet. N00bs shouldn't make new topics. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Maybe it's just me but the broadcast has been better lately, at least to me. Not that that excuses from the horrible broadcasts earlier but it has been better.

But anyways, be quiet. N00bs shouldn't make new topics. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ha, I'm actually rather impressed that his first topic is at 9 pages http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif How many of us can say that!

I agree that it has been better lately, but it kinda seems like it's getting a little bit better each time...as if the guy is learning something new each day. That would also mean that the same director has been there the entire time and we don't have the regular one. I'm probably wrong on that.

~Nottso

I have years ago experience in directing. So long ago, the cameras were powered by log fires.

However, I can tell you that the fast pace of switching to the right cameras is art as much as science. A good director has to know the game, and set and anticipate what might happen in a given situation. He/she needs to direct the cameras to be in position for what could happen.

Example, man on first, no outs. Put the third base camera on the runner, centerfield on the batter, first on the second base view, etc. Then, you are in position to get the swing, the play at first, or at second, or if a fly ball third pulls up to cover right, first coves left. Then the director watches the monitors, and calls the shots to the person on the switcher.

That is just an example, and I never did sports, but the point is, it is complex.

All that said, no excuse that FSN does not have its "A" team. No excuse for the very poor switching we have seen

As far as audio, they should be ashamed. It sounds like they are consistently over modulating the mikes. This is audio 101. It is amazing that they let that audio out, and the Brewers should be all over them for such bad standards.

I dug this thread out with the sole intention of saying that I haven't really noticed the broadcast lately, which means something is being done right...or I just missed the bad stuff...or I'm just getting used to the bad stuff. I'd like to think it's option A.

On a side note, I really like Cirillo on the postgame.

~Nottso

They had some bad miscues on the top banner today; including putting two outs up when there was only one and leaving it up there for a couple minutes, etc.

Stuff like that annoys me and dredges up my superstitious side.

jazzytrav wrote:

On a side note, I really like Cirillo on the postgame.

I really liked his "I am no longer a player so I can criticize the umpires if they suck" attitude.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The production at the end of tonight's game was atrocious. Not only did they miss two pitches to Joe Dillon, they completely missed the final at bat. They come back only to show the Brewers cleaning out the dugout. Throughout the season so far I thought it was poor, but tonight, the ninth inning especially, was absolutely unacceptable. FSN has no business broadcasting baseball games.
Follow me on Twitter

The production at the end of tonight's game was atrocious. Not only did they miss two pitches to Joe Dillon, they completely missed the final at bat. They come back only to show the Brewers cleaning out the dugout. Throughout the season so far I thought it was poor, but tonight, the ninth inning especially, was absolutely unacceptable. FSN has no business broadcasting baseball games.

It's really amazing to me that a network that isn't just starting up could be so bad with their camera work. In general, i'm not one to complain much about stuff like who announcers are in sporting events i watch or about other issues i find minor that others often rag on, but it shouldn't be to much to ask to have competent camera work.

Supposedly we now have our "regular" director but he's just as bad as the fill-in. And for all we new the regular guy is a newbie since last years director is now doing Arizona games. You usually get what you pay for. I guess FSN pays minimum wage in this case. Or maybe it's a high school kid serving as an intern.

That said, I'm very happy that FSN does broadcast baseball games.
Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy they broadcast them too. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't watch the Brewers. But that doesn't mean the production should be this bad.
Follow me on Twitter

Well the new director started tonight and I didn't notice any real problems. Once he switched to the third baseman on a pickoff attempt but no big deal. And we didn't see the balk live. But at least we didn't have the usual 15 missed plays.

Note to the new director:

When the umpire steps in front of the plate and start jawing with the catcher between pitches....SHOW THAT!

(They did replay the whole thing....but I don't know why they waited until after Molina was tossed to show the argument.)

I know, I saw Molina yapping, but when the cameras didn't follow it, I shrugged it off for a few seconds -- thought Molina must've been joking around. Guess not. What a classless crap-act he pulled tonight. He deserves whatever suspension is coming.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They definitely should have shown the Molina thing from start to finish. The amateurs involved probably confused this with a fan on the field.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived