Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the HD issue: Just a guess, but there may be a bandwidth issue there. Only so much satellite capacity to go around to all the FSN outlets without going outside of the satellite(s) to which they have already purchased access. Maybe there simply isn't enough to broadcast every game from every location in HD. Would be interesting to see is there is a pattern of Teams A & B having HD games at certain times and C & D at others.

On the HD issue: Just a guess, but there may be a bandwidth issue there. Only so much satellite capacity to go around to all the FSN outlets without going outside of the satellite(s) to which they have already purchased access. Maybe there simply isn't enough to broadcast every game from every location in HD. Would be interesting to see is there is a pattern of Teams A & B having HD games at certain times and C & D at others.

Don't quote me on this, I just think I've heard this before. A 480i analog channel takes about the same amount of bandwidth as a 720p digital channel and a 480i digital channel takes up a lot less bandwidth than 480i analog channel. Is the problem that it takes up too much bandwidth to broadcast a digital 720p signal and a 480i analog signal because it is like broadcasting two 720p digital signals?

Congratulations if you can follow everything I said because I don't even think I can follow it.

The problem is not the cameras, it's a problem of having an HD production truck and the costs that are more than double to produce the broadcast. The HD truck alone costs several hundred thousand more than an SD truck. That's why many of the NCAA tournament games were not available in HD, not enough trucks to go around.

Which raises the question: Where does the truck go? Does it leave immediately after the game to go to some other venue? And do the cameras go, too?

The truck and prodcution stuff is what has me scratching my head about folks pushing 1080p TVs. Well, I understand it all from a marketing and sales angle, but wonder if consumers really understand it. Other than Blu-Ray and video games, there won't be any 1080p content available for quite a while, as most broadcast content providers had to sink a boatload of money into their current 1080i or 720p equipment to get into the HD game, and they won't be ditching that stuff any time soon to spend even more money on 1080p stuff.

No matter what the picture looks like, I'm just hoping FSN gives us the right pictures tomorrow night, as it will be my first live game this season.

Well I finally found out what was going on. I sent an email to Trenni through the FSN myspace page and this is her response:

Wow, you are really TV savvy! You are correct, we are temporarily using a different director for the first month of the show until our permanent guy finishes his NBA duties. I apologize if things haven't been quite up to par with what you expect and will certainly pass the note on. I'm not quite sure how much will change, but hopefully we can continue to get better. Are there specific shots you feel we used last season we are not using now?

Thanks for sending a note about this. I have a lot of respect for viewers who actually voice a specific complaint as opposed to an insult with no backing.

Thanks for watching!

Trenni

Are there specific shots you feel we used last season we are not using now?

I love the fact that she's asking for input.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

You are correct, we are temporarily using a different director for the first month of the show until our permanent guy finishes his NBA duties.

So it sounds like at the very worst we will have to contend with poor camera angles until the end of the NBA season. Hopefully though Trenni passes on the word to the direction crew to make an effort to improve the camera work before then. I also wonder if this new director has any MLB experience?

By the way Trenni is the best! (Unless Erin Andrews is reading this)

Trenni has done great with the sideline job so far. She knows what she's talking about and seems excited to be covering the Brewers. Her response is above and beyond what I would expect from someone in her position. Very awesome.

It's just kind of lame that the normal director is being wasted on a horrific team like the Milwaukee Bucks. Good luck to the normal director on serving out his remaining sentence with that talented group.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Wow, that Trenni just has the 'Sconnie boys eating out of her hand. I pity the moronic Cubs fan that chucks something at her or calls her "Tranny" this season. He's going to get a beat-down from at least 25,000.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I received a followup response from Trenni this morning:

OK, I'll try and find a nice way to pass this message on! Like I said in my first email, our real director will be back soon, and I'm guessing you'll notice a huge difference. The same crew is producing/directing the game on WMLW tonight (which I don't have to work), so I'll have a chance to see the game on TV and figure out what the problems are.

And yes, I completely took your email as constructive. My biggest pet peeve is the animosity of the internet and how viewers rip people/teams without actual examples. So many people criticize behind a screen name and just for the sake of being nasty because they can. I'll always respond to someone who offers up an actual example or legit complaint!

My biggest pet peeve is the animosity of the internet and how viewers rip people/teams without actual examples. So many people criticize behind a screen name and just for the sake of being nasty because they can.

If we can't cower behind our monitors and flame to make up for our own inadequacies, what exactly is the point of the internet?

There's just something about her name and the way it sounds that grates on my nerves. I feel bad, because she knows her stuff, does her best to debunk the airheaded sideline reporter image and actually responded to emails. She seems cool, but man her name bugs me.

Probably wouldn't be good to direct her to this thread then. Or maybe just block her from pages 4 and 5 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's nice to see that she responded so quickly. Nicely done MickeyDavis.

Still no response from FSN, but I guess the question is answered, so we'll just have to wait a month.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived