Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis
I guess if I were going to nitpick, I'd rather have a quality team on the field than a quality team in the van producing for a bad team on the field.

Once the Brewers get a better TV contract, you've got to assume that the production value will increase.

Why should we settle for one or the other? It's not that hard to find a director who has some clue of what he's doing.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year they bring in Brian Anderson, a guy with ZERO major league baseball experience and he was pretty bad. He got better by the time the season was over but he still has his rough spots. But with announcers I have the option of turning down the volume and listening to the radio. With a telecast there is no other option.

I agree it shouldn't be either/or. Brewer games have been on TV for decades and it's NEVER been this bad. And there is no reason is has to be.

Dear Fox Sports,

First, I want to thank you for providing excellent coverage of my favorite baseball team, the Milwaukee Brewers. I have always enjoyed the broadcast, and on the whole I have had nothing to complain about. Fox Sports North Production has been solid, allowing me to enjoy the baseball games from the comfort of my home.

This year, however, I have been repeatedly frustrated by the camera angles used during the games. By this, I mean that it is often impossible to see the baseball's trajectory, or the ball being fielded, or even an important play being made on the bases. There have been some very egregious errors of this manner, and everyone I've talked to has noticed them. These are errors that have not happened in the past, and these are errors that do not happen on any other baseball broadcasts that I've witnessed.

If you could please use the camera angles in such a way that I can see all of the game action, I will be much obliged.

Thank you very much

Comment sent.

Is there any incentive for Fox to make it a good production? Don't they have a set long-term contract with the Crew? It seems like they are using the Crew to test using their lowest-tier of production. Bad producer, the slowest to get HD, poor announcers in general..is there any incentive on their part to perform any time soon?

Why should we settle for one or the other? It's not that hard to find a director who has some clue of what he's doing.

I guess it's difficult enough...

And like I said, this is not exactly a top of the line contract that FSN threw at the Brewers. B-team contracts lead to B-team personnel.

I would agree with the "no incentive" line of thinking if the telecasts had always been horrible. They haven't. They have never been great but at least you would be able to see each play as it happens and not miss so many things. Whatever/whoever the changes have been from last year to this year, they need to change back.

Last year they bring in Brian Anderson, a guy with ZERO major league baseball experience and he was pretty bad. He got better by the time the season was over but he still has his rough spots. But with announcers I have the option of turning down the volume and listening to the radio. With a telecast there is no other option.

I agree it shouldn't be either/or. Brewer games have been on TV for decades and it's NEVER been this bad. And there is no reason is has to be.

Everyone has to get their first MLB experience at some point, do they not? I don't get what the deal is with BA. I like him. I think he's a funny guy. He has good chemistry with Schroeder. I'm actually convinced that fans just love $%+%@#@# about announcers. Rarely do you ever hear about an announcer that people like. People are always bashing Anderson, Sutton, Vasgersian, they bash Madden, Michaels, etc...I don't think people will ever be satisfied.

($%+%@#@# = circumventing cuss filter or not previewing... please see the language guidelines and "Keep Brewerfan Beautiful 2008" --1992)

This is the first chance I had to watch a game today and while I was completely thrilled with the game, I wondered aloud if some of the camera crew are gonna get fired for this one.
Probably not likely. It was just as bad the first five games.

I vaguely recall something being mentioned at the end of last year that the director was doing his last game with the Brewers. I could be wrong but I really think I heard that. It really makes sense if that's the case here because the camera angles have been really brutal so far this year. Just follow the ball, it's a simple concept.

yes, I seem to remember hearing Mitch Riggan (I think that was his name) was leaving FSN-WI as director for some other job at the conclusion of the 2007 season. This would be my guess to the poor choices in the truck to switch to whatever camera shouldn't be switched to.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was going crazy during todays game trying to figure out who the old guy eating the brat was. They kept showing him so much that I figured he had to be someone's dad or grandpa or something. Then nothing was ever said about him, so I'm assuming he was just a random.

The other thing that has gotten under my skin has been the camera work on pick-off attempts. There have been a few pick-off moves where you see the pitcher throw the ball, hear the crowd react to make you believe it was a close play... then 5 seconds later the camera switches to first base after the runner is up and brushing himself off already.

Everyone has to get their first MLB experience at some point, do they not? I don't get what the deal is with BA. I like him. I think he's a funny guy. He has good chemistry with Schroeder.

I thought Sutton and Vasgersian were good. Which is why is was disappointing to downgrade to someone with no experience. Sure everyone has to start somewhere but given that we are a team on the rise I would have thought we could have easily been able to get someone with some major league chops. It's the same with the new director. We apparently couldn't find anyone who has actually done it before. Incredible.

Anderson came from the GOLF CHANNEL and as a sideline reporter for the Spurs. A few years ago he did some minor league baseball and Little League baseball. I find it hard to believe that's the best we could do.

Schroeder has to carry the telecast because he actually knows baseball while BA is still learning the sport. At least this year he isn't saying "didn't carry" on every fly out. Anderson could pan out as a good announcer but it's painful having to listen to him learn on the job. Combined with the terrible telecasts themselves has made a 5-1 start hard to actually watch.

(pared back long nested quote --1992)

The other thing that bothers me is when they show a baserunner or someone in the field and then cut back to the pitch after it has been released and the batter is already swinging or taking it.

Exactly. You would think that would be in baseball directing 101: Make sure you show each pitch.

Also, what happened to the camera angle that was above home plate they had last year? It was so easy to see whether balls were inside or outside. That was mixed with the camera angle that shows the batter to show the height. From the games I have seen, there hasn't been that angle.

Also I agree that velocity should be shown. I have been watching games with that free preview of Extra Innings and it is really nice to see how much pitches change speeds. I would like to go to gameday to see that, but my computer and tv are in a different rooms.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/7d315a9a8564c531d89f63814f0132d756e9e73.pjpg

Now exclusively on FSN-Wisconsin only during Brewer games............Old Dude.

Watch Old Dude eat a hot dog, be there when Old Dude does the wave, and don't miss Old Dude get hit in the head with a beachball.

The most old dude coverage since the last State of the Union address, only on FSN-Wisconsin.

Anderson came from the GOLF CHANNEL and as a sideline reporter for the Spurs. A few years ago he did some minor league baseball and Little League baseball. I find it hard to believe that's the best we could do.

I don't get it. Did BA spit in your coffee? I think he's fantastic. Not perfect, but no p-b-p guy is. "A few years ago" he did some baseball?

This is from the brewers.com article upon his hire. You should probably not just say random crap about people.

"According to his bio on The Golf Channel's Web site, Anderson began his broadcasting career calling baseball games for the Minor League San Diego Missions, then moved on to play-by-play jobs for the NFL, NBA and NCAA and reporting stints with FOX and FOX Sports Net."

Oh, and here's the quip from his Golf Channel bio the article referenced:

"Anderson's background includes NFL, NBA and NCAA basketball play-by-play and reporting for Fox Sports and Fox Sports Net and play-by-play for ESPN and CSTV baseball telecasts. He began his career broadcasting minor league baseball for the San Antonio Missions and during that time worked in the golf industry pursuing credentials to become a club professional."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I swear, its like the director is on DVR 3 second delay and the feed we get isn't.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I sent an email through the "feedback" thing on Fox Sports web page. If you use the drop-down box and click on TV, it will allow you to specifically choose the programming that you're leaving feedback for. Well, basically you can leave feedback for baseball programming on FSN North (it doesn't narrow it down to Wisconsin). I left them a message earlier today, so I'll post the response when/if I get one. I already got an email saying that I should be expecting a response.

Perhaps, you can send them a link of this thread so they can view all the people here wondering why it seems that games are produced by less than capable people so far this season?

Now exclusively on FSN-Wisconsin only during Brewer games............Old Dude.

I liked him. You got a beef with old men at Brewer games? This old man deserves some air time, I think. It sure beats watching player x and player y spit for the 14th time between pitches.

(took picture out of quote --1992)

Archived