Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bumping this because I had a good conversation with Trenni after they filmed Brewers Live at Summerfest last night. I approached her to tell her that we appreciated her answering our questions earlier in the season. Then she asked if I thought it was any better. I shrugged and said it was still iffy, especially on "secondary" type plays, where it wasn't the initial play/out, but something that happened ancillary to the play.

She said that one of the things that happens is that when they are out of town, they may only have access to 4 or 5 camera feeds, whereas at home we have at least 12 cameras. So we could have just 4 cameras while the home team has 10. That being the case, we may not have the camera shot right away, so if something happens they don't catch, they have to use the home team's feed to get us the replay. With only 4 cameras, they can't cover every inch of the field and so follow the primary play and often end up missing the secondary things like steals or plays at the bases.

That's an explanation I would never have thought of, so I was glad she took the time to explain it to me.

my biggest complaint with FSN is the lack of showing a players stat line or what he had done that night at the plater especially later in the game. I hate it when I come into a game late and see that they have scored some runs but unless they do a recap you have no idea who got hits or who drove in the runs.

I'd just be happy if they could switch to the right camera so we can see the play live. I realize it's unpredictable and you never know what's going to happen but other baseball directors do it fine. Ours does not.

As an added bonus I'd like to see stats that ESPN shows updated by the count. They show the hitters stats after each pitch, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, etc...

But that's asking for too much from a channel that can't even get the actual count right a lot of the time.

I'll add something else:

When a player is up to bat, please show his position on the field. Many times I'm curious what position a player is playing while they are up to bat. I don't want to have to wait until the Brewers are on defense.

I know... I'm lazy.

But that's asking for too much from a channel that can't even get the actual count right a lot of the time.

This happens on most baseball broadcasts, and, yes, to the same extent if not worse. Not saying I don't think FSN-WI could/should be improved, just want to be fair.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As an added bonus I'd like to see stats that ESPN shows updated by the count. They show the hitters stats after each pitch, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, etc...

As an FYI, the right side of the out of town scoreboard has the batter's picture along with some stats. Sometimes it has those career stats in such and such a count.

This happens on most baseball broadcasts, and, yes, to the same extent if not worse. Not saying I don't think FSN-WI could/should be improved, just want to be fair.

The ribbon board has the wrong count on it a lot also. I assumed it was a case of the person running the graphics putting more time into other things (including stuff to put up next) that leads to errors. I'd think the same is the case for the broadcast. The person putting the count up probably has 15 other things to do at the same time and occationaly makes mistakes.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Verified Member
I know I'm nitpicking now but seriously FSN, Do you have to show Bernie Brewer go down his slide for every home run? Showing perhaps more of the man who hit the home run or the Brewer's dugout would be more exciting. It would be different if that mascot was sliding into a giant mug of beer but some lame slide? come on.

yeah, but kids relish seeing Bernie Brewer, for the most part. Showing Bernie is iconic to the team and "important" to get kids interested in the team.

Sure, us adults don't care, but . . . .

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Credit where it's due: the direction today after CC struck out the side in the 9th was nearly perfect. CC and the team's reaction and then a fantastic wide shot of the team from behind as they walk into the dugout with the Miller Park crowd going nuts in the background, all the while with silence from the booth and just the wild cheering from the fans as they go to commercial. I got chills.

I too thought the FSN crew handled that perfectly, especially Anderson who called his shot on it before the pitch and let the crowd tell the story.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

FSN does do the peripheral stuff well. If they could only handle actual game play the same way it would be great.

I will say this about BA. He's getting better. I've ripped him (deservedly so IMHO) many times over the last year and a half and I've ripped the Brewers for hiring an inexperienced play by play guy (a little minor league bb experience and most recently seen on the Golf Channel and on the Spurs sidelines).

But he has shown signs of improvement this year. Some of that is the better chemistry between him and Schroeder. I give him props for working hard and getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived