Brewer Fanatic

FSN Production Is Horrible

MickeyDavis
It has been bothering me that they keep saying the Brewers are winning these games "in their final at bat." The Cameron sac fly was, but the win in Washington and last night's win were certainly not in their last at bat. A visiting team can't win in their final at bat, nor can a home team do that in the 8th inning (since somone has to end the 8th with an out). I get the point, that they keep winning exciting games at/near the end in dramatic fashion, but the terminology they keep using to describe that has been bugging me.

Thank you! I said the exact same thing to myself today. Bill Schroeder had another gem today regarding the bullpen usage of Bobby Cox. He said to give Cox credit because two of the relievers he used, Bennett and Boyer, had the losses in the first two games and this showed he has confidence in them and doesn't want them to dwell on their losses. This is dumb because:

1) Jo-Jo Reyes received the loss in yesterday's game, not Boyer.

2) If every manager refused to pitch a reliever who lost the previous day, he'd be a moron.

3) Jeff Bennett gave up a broken-bat bloop single to Bill Hall, and a lazy flyball barely deep enough to score the winning run. Even if Bennett did get the loss, it's not like he pitched poorly.

Just as annoying is BA of course agreed with him. I realize he's not going to openly disagree with what "Rock, partner" says, but it's so annoying how firmly entrenched BA's lips are on Bill's rump.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
I don't remember there being this much problem in other seasons. I mean, they keep showing the 3TO record setting bomb over and over, yet the one last night they couldn't apparently track. I don't get it.

Verified Member

It's the little things that really frustrate me watching Brewer's FSN this year. For example, i'm reading Adam's post game wrap up for tonight's Brewer's win, There is a quote from Randy Johnson that says,

As Johnson walked off the field with one out in the seventh and the Brewers leading, 3-1, the 29,478 in attendance gave him a loud standing ovation.

"One thing I won't forget in my career is the crowd," Johnson said. "Walking off the mound to get a standing ovation like that, as a visiting player, that meant a lot. That's pretty classy, and I won't forget that."

That seems like a very nice moment, but what did FSN do? Instead of showing a future hall of famer walking off the mound after a game in which he become 2nd all time in career strikeouts, they chose to show Diamond Backs Middle reliever, Juan Cruz jogging to the mound. Come on FSN!!

Right now FSN seems to be getting more and more like Fox, where the scripted bits with packaged graphics and interviews of minor celebrities in the stands are more important than actually showing the game. Last night once I think 2/3rds of inning was over before they actually decided to talk about the game in front of them.

For sure. The stuff FOX does on purpose can frequently be as bad as this year's goofy mistakes. I always felt Daron Sutton was much better when he was away from FOX, for instance. His blog was good and his webcasts were excellent.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Lately they seem to be unable to have a consistent sound level. I don't know if it is Brian A. or the FSN sound production, but half the time when he starts speaking in is initially louder and then after a couple words is quieter.

That seems like a very nice moment, but what did FSN do? Instead of showing a future hall of famer walking off the mound after a game in which he become 2nd all time in career strikeouts, they chose to show Diamond Backs Middle reliever, Juan Cruz jogging to the mound. Come on FSN!!

Wow, I can't believe they didn't show that. I was at the game last night, sitting a few rows behind the DBacks dugout. The standing O was great, Johnson tipped his cap to the crowd.

He also got a nice ovation after his first K when he surpassed Clemens. Surprisingly Robb Edwards didn't even make an announcement about it. They had it on the scoreboard briefly but even then it was on the black and white part and mixed in with the regular lineup screen. Weird.

I usually don't watch Brewers Live before the game, but the studio hostess (Marney Gellner) working with Cirillo right now is not smooth. She had three items to talk about in one segment....and ended up blending them all together. Unless her teleprompter just died, it was pretty brutal.

What happened to the other guy I've seen Cirillo work with in the post-game?

They had audio problems with Trenni's interview earlier in the game too.

Let's face it, this far into the season it's never going to get any better. I hope at least the sixth graders working in production are getting some school credit.

What happened to the gun? I want pitch speed dangit! The count always being off is annoying but so is baserunner graphic. I hooked my computer up to my newer HD TV so I've been flipping between the game and my golf outing crap, and probably a third of the time when I switch over to the Brewer game they have the runners are the wrong bases. At least with the DVR I can rewind and figure out what happened for myself.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have to give some props to Bill Schroeder. I was sitting right below him and Brian Anderson. After the hulaballoo after Prince's triple, he was scanning the crowd. We all thought it was a homer (event the Twins fans behind us). I looked at him, made eye contact, and made the home run sign with a questioned look on my face. He shook his head no which took some of the anger out of we Brewer fans. He didn't have to do that, and I thought it was nice that he did.

Thanks, Bill.

Cool move on Bill's part.

I'm wondering if the camera work necessary to spot that might have come from Twins' side.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I thought that they did a good job with the would-be HR. Both of them initially said it looked like a HR, then, after ambiguously replays, Bill made the point that it was so iffy that you'd have to go with the non-HR call. And then they finally got a close-in replay and praised the umps for getting the call right.

Archived